Playing big hands preflop

• andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Hello. I'm currently playing NL4 SH and i have some doubts about QQ+ and AK hands. I want to make some changes in my playing style but i posted here to ensure that i'm not making them because of tilting but because it's the rational thing to do. So please feel free to give an opinion...

First of all, AK and QQ. Is going all in a good idea vs. normal stacked opponents? I mean like 100BB. Because i certainly don't feel like it is. Vs a fish with 25BB i have no doubt, but how about people with more than 50BB? I have seen almost nobody going all in preflop with AK/QQ with more than 100BB at this limit.

Ok so let's say you have 120BB and a dude has 120BB. You raise KK he re-raises you re-raise he pushes all in. There's no way he can show more strenght than this. But thing is if he's only going all in with KK and AA it's way more likely he's got aces.

Theory says it's ok to go all in with AK and QQ on SH tables. I found myself time after time being crushed preflop by fish of all colors.
  • 7 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      How about :

1. Under 50BB: all in preflop QQ+, AK
      2. 50BB-150BB: all in preflop KK+
      3. Over 150BB: all in AA
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      This is not really an answer to your question, but these are mine AK + QQ hands. They come from a small 9K sample @ NL4 SH (with $5 max buy-in, I call it NL5):

From those hands, I only went all-in preflop 6 times:

So I am probably leaning towards seeing a flop as opposed to getting it all-in pre. But thats fits into my play at 5NL I think.
      Some weird things, like calling a 4bet 66.7% with AKo. I'm sure I had my reason :) .

Edit: I'm interested in NL5 SH results of somebody taking the more aggressive approach over large number of hands!

Anybody got a real answer??
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Hmm, what if fish has 100 BB ? Do all fishes have 25 BB ? It's all about ranges of an opponent. Of course a fish (50/1/0.8) won't go all in or raise preflop without a premium hand. Actually this makes fish readable. You probably had some bad beats or you play very aggressive against a fish and when fish pushes you think oh come on he's a fish what can he push to me, i'll eat him now. But remember even fish gets dealt AA, KK. Pushing QQ, AK unless you have very good reads to not do so is the correct move and in the long term will bring you $$$.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Thanks roswellx. So you are basically saying go all in AK and QQ preflop with an 120BB stack ? You can't call it a deep stack to go only for KK and AA...
      Forgot one thing... Do you stick with it if the games goes like this: raise; re-raise; re-raise;re-raise;re-raise; all in ?!?!? Where do you stop if i don't have aces and the fish just won't stop raising you?
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      I'm not saying go all in with QQ when you are 120 BB deep ! All I'm saying is you should give your opponent a range. Well, in SH games against a good opponent you can lay down your ladies after villain 4bets you and when you are not deep (100BB). When you are deep (200BB), you can even 4bet and then fold if opponent 5bets you. When you 4bet/fold don't worry about the $ you lost without seeing opponent's hand. You will mostly see KK+...
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      I am still going all-in..... maybe a leak, don't know

Ran AK into AA today for 100bb, raised UTG... 50/13 donk guy re-raised BB, I 4-bet he pushed, I called.... screw it. Once you 4-bet you can't really lay it down anymore.
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Well when you're deep and have QQ, AK you can 4bet/fold vs 5bet. I got AA yesterday and lost vs AK we were both deep :s_cry: