Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $19.00
      BU:
      $114.00

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.68 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9:club: , 3:diamond:
      5 folds, BU calls $1.00, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 5:diamond: , 7:diamond: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($2.50) 9:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, BU raises to $2.00, Hero raises to $5.00, BU raises to $8.00, Hero calls $3.00.

River: ($18.50) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $21.00, Hero calls $10.00 (All-In), BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $38.50

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, nines and threes (9c 3d)
      BU shows a straight, seven high (4s 6s)

BU wins with a straight, seven high (4s 6s)

This hand was probably my worst played hand today. When is the correct time to let the hand go? After the raise to $8? or on the river?
  • 6 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      You have 2 pair on the turn against an opponent who sees 40%+ of pots. He is incredibly bad in all likelihood so just get your money in against the fish.

Imo it's quite enough to go broke here, so you shouldn't be letting go of the hand at all. However, you need to bet more on the Turn to protect your made hand. So, make your initial turn bet potsize - or at lease like $2.5. I would just shove the turn after villain min5bets.

By the river, no fds have completed, so if you're beat it's by trips, a weird sd like 46, or a badly played KK. These form a small part of villain's large range so just make a note what he does this with and move on.

Please don't post the results because it means it's harder for us to be objective when we give advice and therefore you learn less and make less profit overall ;)
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Three points;

1) Bet potsize on turn. I don't like betting just $1 into a $2.50 pot.

2) After hi minraises you, you then min3bet turn..... wtf? make your raise bigger!

3) he then minraises you AGAIN. He is repping an incredibly strong range now imo especially with 0.8AF. I would say he has 64, set or at the very least top two-pair that beats you. Please don't forget that this is a freeplay so you have to be a bit more cautious and go broke with better hands than normal. It feels stupidly tight but I give up on turn to his $8 raise even with the incredible odds we recieve. At the very least I fold river.

That said, my analysis feels kinda tight, If you'd just bet pot and he'd thrown in a normal size reraise I would probably be going broke on this turn.

edit; I have now seen results and am unsure whether my hand range prediction was fluke or not. Please don't post them!
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      I didn't think I posted the results but it appears I did... My bad

I don't feel like I necessarily have to go broke as played. I think that bad players (like this one) can't stand to make a full bet with a good hand. They always minraise with sets straights and the like. As played I think best is to let it go after the last minraise even with the ridiculous good pot odds after the min 4bet on the turn. His handrange is probably too strong with his super low AF. However if I played this properly I bet $2 on the turn and he minraises to $4 and at that point i feel like i have to go broke. Tough spot.

Thx for the advice.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Opponent is a fish, and even though what DaPhunk said about villain showing much strength with all those raises makes sense, I'd still go broke here because I would simply bet/push turn. No min-betting, ever. We have few hands on him to care much about his AF, his 44% vpip is enough for me not to worry.

Edit: bet pot-size/push turn, because the board is drawy and you must build the pot, so betting 1bb into that pot is no good.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      minraises can also be draws + pairs imo

Your betsizing makes this hand ugly, if you filter that out, it becomes a more transparant situation :)

So I bet Potsized Turn ($2.5) -> then shove on his minraise because if you would 3bet that it would be 50% of your stack.

I think he mostly calls with FDs, Pairs as well which makes your 2pair profitable.

Next time please remove the results as they are influencing our verdicts (like DaPhunk with his edits post, no offence ;) )
      This is at your DISadvantage

- Gerv