A question of ethics?

• Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      General opinion... (I don't know how to create polls)...

You're playing at a few tables and you spot a regular. You see that this guy knows what he's doing.. the more you observe him, the more sure you are that he's using some form of Starting Hands Chart. Your stats confirm this. You decide to search the forums for his name... and presto... you see tons of hands that he's posted. Some of them you recognize as hands he played against you.

[Rather foolishly], this player's nick on the poker site is the same as on the forums. You now find you have access to tons of information on how he thinks and how he plays his hands.... and most importantly, what sorts of mistakes he makes.

Would you search for and study these hands and use any insight gained against him? Or is this advantage too... unfair?

Now I'm a good sort of person, I think, and I do admit that part of me does feel bad about considering this. Should I "just get over it", as in, it's dog eat dog and any advantage should be used? Or should there be a general "respect the PS members" atmosphere at the tables?
  • 9 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Well I woulden't make a thread about it if I did it, that's for shure :f_cool:
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Well, I'm not going to give any names, so I don't think I'm breaking any rules.

And it's kidna bothering me, need to talk to somebody about it. I really would forego scrutinizing this person in such a way if I thought it was unfair and unethical. Last things I want is to turn poker into a bloodsport :D
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      In poker to me its winning that matters.

If your playing to win take any advantage you can to do so imo aslong as its legal.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      I don't see any problem with getting information this way if you think you'll be constantly facing this player at the tables, don't think it's unfair at all.

But if you're not going to playing against him too often, then I think it's a waste of time to go and study his play in-depth. After all, if he plays in a formulaic way, you shouldn't have trouble spotting his leaks while playing.
    • Theman365
      Theman365
      Bronze
      What do you think the world elite does. I believe they examine their opponents game pretty closely, specially when the can watch the videos with hole cameras. To beat the opponent you need to study him first (or have luck... or something in between..)
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Theman365
      What do you think the world elite does. I believe they examine their opponents game pretty closely, specially when the can watch the videos with hole cameras. To beat the opponent you need to study him first (or have luck... or something in between..)
      I guess that's a valid point.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      it's fine.

choice of nicks was his to make and he chose to share hands on the forums, and i have to assume he is aware of the potential advantage people can get and has decided the benefits of posting outway the disadvantages

it's really morally fine imo.
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Silver
      ur such a lil fag, i can't wait to find out your nick and exploit your lil ass
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shortfuse
      ur such a lil fag, i can't wait to find out your nick and exploit your lil ass
      :D Best post yet. :tongue:

Alright, alright. I get it already.

:s_o: