[NL2-NL10] QQ with Ace on Flop

• xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Not sure what to do in cases like this. Loose players tend to play a lot of junk, but that also means they play a lot of Ace-rags. Should I be scared of an Ace here and play check/fold on the Turn?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      CO(Hero):
      $10.00
      BU:
      $10.00
      SB:
      $50.25
      BB:
      $67.40
      MP3:
      $23.05

Stats Over 32 Hands
      BB VPIP: 30%
      BB Call vs. Steal %: 33%
      BB Flop Donkbet %: 100%

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, Q.
      MP3 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, 2 folds, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 3, 3, A (2 players)
      BB bets $1.00, Hero raises to $3.50, BB calls $2.50.

Turn: ($11.25) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.50(All-In), BB calls $4.50.

River: ($20.25) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.25.

Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, queens and threes(Qd Qh).
      BB shows a flush, ace high(Qc 4c).

BB wins with a flush, ace high(Qc 4c).
  • 7 replies
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      you are pot committed on turn so shoving really is the only option - I would even consider shoving flop, you are committing yourself anyway and if he has an ace he may get the feeling he is dominated or beaten by trips
    • caroline29632
      caroline29632
      Black
      Please do not post the results. :)
      I think you should check/fold the turn. Ax is to often in his range.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      As played I would check behind turn and evaluate river, these guys got many Aces on their range.

On the flop villain gets nearly 4:1 odds to call this re-raise, so it's almost a push or fold situation. It's true that many opponents can play FD and PPs aggressively here, but depending on the reads I might even fold the flop, since by pushing we might often isolate ourselves against an A.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Yeah he can have FD as well as TP which he will definately be calling to your tiny raise flop. I wouldn't push turn rather just try and play for SD value.

I would like to know his PFR or aggression frequency on later streets and, very importantly how big the sample that donkbet stat is taken on. Yes we can just push flop or cbet smaller on flop like normal. Thats what we might well do with an Ace after all, but If Villain is suitably passive (and not thinking about our range) on later streets I would like to get to the showdown cheaply as possibly here. (that means call flop try and check down/ re-evaluate later streets)
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      i think u played it ok. if a bad player makes a min bet on the flop it usually means hes drawing. this guy is a calling station and u were gona get called regardless of what u bet here.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Nice point Ishindar, min raise or overbet from bad players on a flop like that, is a draw a lot of times.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Wow this sucks since it is either WA/WB

So you can either Raise Flop -> Control Turn&River

Or Call Flop, Call a small bet Turn or if he checks, bet 50% to get the iniative.
      If he c/R this, fold, if he c/c - Check behind the River

The point is you have to invest as little as possible in order to get the information you want

- Gerv