$10.00
      MP2:
      $10.00
      MP3:
      $14.07
      CO:
      $9.80

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 8.
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $0.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.7) 6, K, 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: ($0.7) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP3 calls $0.40.

River: ($1.5) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.76, MP3 raises to $2.00, Hero calls $1.24.

Final Pot: $5.5.

Main question is about river - I usually dont like playing one card straights too strong, but seems that here would have been raise/push the best choice on river.
  • 4 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

C-bet stat would help in that spot, to help determine whether he'd fire J9 on the flop, as most tags would together with all their air. Unless his cbet % is low i'd say you're splitting there almost always, unless he weirdly tried to slowplay a set or something, in which case you might even be ahead.

The problem is apart from another 9x i'm not sure what will call a push, maybe a smallish value 3bet would induce light calls or crazy rebluffs better so i'd do that. We're obviously calling a shove in that case. Just calling expecting to be splitting the pot somewhat often is probably a closish 2nd option.

Make a note if it turns out he didn't c-bet J9 on that flop.

Hope it helps.
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      He turned over AKo what quite surprised me. When playing this hand, he was unknown. His Cbet flop% is 50 (3/6). He seemed bad player and maybe would have called here raise.
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      I don't understand here why did you called his raise with 89s? Isn't that a mistake from beginning? And even if it's not, but you are in SB. It means you are out of position in all betting rounds. Isn't that like biggest mistake you can make? Can someone explain me this because I think you can't play here anything but pairs (only because both of you are big stacks) and AK.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's because the hand is pretty : D

Jokes aside, it's not a standard call because you won't hit often enough to turn a profit by playing for hand value. However, if you know what you're doing you can make moves at dry flops and other good steal opportunities, as well as check/raise any decent draw to trap a c-bet from aggressive opponents while still having equity. If you don't feel like it just pitch the hand preflop, there is nothing wrong with that.

I didn't comment on it because everybody knows from the charts that they're not supposed to call that without having further plans for the hand. From there it's a personal choice.

Hope it helps.