Push or Fold phase

• Cease

What is the goal of the push and fold phase when you're the short stack (>= 13 BB)? Do you want poeple will call, or are you really just hopping to steal pot to bide time for a good hand to push? :f_confused:

I know it doesn't really make a difference to how you play the hand, but it's something i've been thinking about recently.

• 5 replies
    • Octhellior
      It doesn't matter if people will call you or not. You shove preflop because even a 4BB raise commits you to the pot.

If you have 10BBs left for example and you raise 4BB and someone reraises you then folding is not an option anymore.

Or if you make a 4BB raise preflop with AKs, you get called and miss the flop. Then you have just given your opponent a chance to improve his hand (suited connectors for example) at a low cost. In this case also you're commited to the pot.

So you just want to shove it all in preflop to maximize fold equity and to avoid getting in horrible spots post-flop.
    • AquamanBT
      I guess that the objective is to maximize your folding equity, and in case you get called, most times the worst that you'll be is a 40%-60% underdog. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    • viewer88
      You have to make money on average: you have FE and your hand has equity vs the callrange. Make the numbers work :tongue:
    • LgWz
      It depends on the hand you have, if you have a top hand you want a call and if you have a bottom hand you don't want a call =p
    • donroops
      I think you probably want a fold most the time. If it is push fold phase, the blinds are going to be high in relation to the stacks. The amount of chips you gain by everyone folding will probably improve your stack by 10%, which is a good amount. I'm probably only looking to get called by aa/kk.
      If everyone always folded when I pushed, how can I lose. You can lose with a showdown.