[NL2-NL10] NL25 QTs freeplay

• Tampaloeres81
      Known players:

0/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:club: , T:club:
      MP1 calls $0,25, 2 folds, CO calls $0,25, BU folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,75) T:heart: , 2:club: , 4:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0,50, MP1 raises to $1,50, CO folds, Hero raises to $4,75 (All-In), MP1 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3,75

Flop: Is TPGK ok to get so aggressive? Very often people bet any 2 on flop in a freeplay, so MP1 could be testing me by raising.
  • 5 replies
    • Gonzo394
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
      Very often people bet any 2 on flop in a freeplay, so MP1 could be testing me by raising.
      If you don't have that read on MP1 himself that he does that a lot, i would fold.

Your $.50 bet is fine, you have to protect your hand. but if you get raised you are beat most of the time. (the more frequent you tend to bet out in unraised pots the more you might encounter a bluffraise.)
    • DaPhunk
      Checking preflop is fine I think, betting on Flop is fine, but I would fold to the raise.

It can be useful to be careful on multi-way freeplay flops. Someone can easily have flpped something better.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Hi guys,

Thanks for your reply's (also in my other posts)!

Well in this situation what can they have? I don't believe they have an OP since mostly they will raise preflop. Two pair isnt' logical either T2 T4 42??? Maybe FD.

I think their range will be something like SC's and small PP's and maybe AT, which I all beat (except AT) unless they have hit a set ofcourse but that will only 2 hands 44 and 22.
    • RahXephon1
      I have a general question for hands like that. 2 limpers and we get to freeplay OOP. We hit a mediocre top pair with solid kicker (like in this case) or sometimes top pair no kicker (K2 for example). I usually betted on flop to protect. The problem is that people rarely fold to that bet (only hands that didn't hit the board would fold usually) and you get at least a caller most of the times, but since you don't know the strenght of your hand you basically give up the hand on turn/river since you surely don't want to go broke with it. This basically turns our hand in a pure bluff.

Could it be better to just control the potsize since we are ahead of many hands and we could just call a river or turn bet with some solid showdown value? This way at least we won't isolate ourselves against stronger hands.

In this case for example we beth 2/3 of the pot so we need both players to fold in 40% of the cases to turn a profit, which is not a real expectation I think.

hope my question is clear enough, I have some troubles to formulate what exactly I mean and spots like this costed me lots of money when I was raising them, so that now I'm basically just c/f them lots of time to decrease variance.
    • burek2000
      Hey Tampaloeres81,

betting 0.50$ on the flop is fine, but after being reraised it's marginal situation. Standard in freeplays is to go broke with TP J kicker or better, meaning you should go broke on the flop, which is certainly not a mistake as JT, FD and OESD are all possible hands that could pay you off, but for more EV move you'd need some reads on MP1. However, folding is still an option as your hand is only marginal and is also advisable if you want to decrease variance.

@ RahXephon1: Standard as mentioned above is bet and go broke with any hand that is TP J kicker or better and c/f all the rest. However, each hand is particular, dependent on number of opponents, stats of opponents, the board, your hole cards... ...so, best thing is to post as many of those troublesome hands you can on the forum to get the hang of it.