Minimise loss on downswing

• jp2570
      jp2570
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I am currently on a pritty bad downswing at the moment, the second one I have had since playing poker. I am realy seeking advice (preferably from the more experienced players who have had quite a few themselves) on how to minimise my losses?

Out of 17 SnG NL tournements I have made the money once. I had my tilt fully under control until today where the odd stupid decision slipped in. I have moved down two price ranges and hope to play out of the downswing. Is this the right way to go? What have you lot done?

Regards

jp2570
  • 6 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      There is no such thing as playing out of downswing, moving down is ok to regain confidence etc.
      Just play solid poker and try not to tilt.
    • Zemnieks11
      Zemnieks11
      Bronze
      Happened to me many times! Stay calm! Losses and bad beats make you only better. Try to play tighter just to gain confidence!
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      It's very hard to cope with downswings.
      Move down limits, play less tables, limit the maximum amout you can loose in a session, take more time while deciding, make smaller poker sessions.
      Use that downswing to play less and learn more: read more books, articles, view videos, etc.
      Other than that there's really nothing you can do.
      GL
    • Styrodon
      Styrodon
      Bronze
      Me, I turned my computer off. Actually though, it turned itself off X( .

This morning was having a bit of a down swing and my connection kept dropping out. Finally got dealt AA in the BB and could only stare at it as my connection dissapeared. Funny how when you're on a downswing everthing seems to go against you :rolleyes:

Anyway thankfully I recovered this evening.

As NightFrostaSS and Zemnieks11 recommend stay calm (I went out for a walk) and carry on playing solid. It'll come back to you.

I don't have a lot of experience here as I'm still in the Micro levels but if you are in a level comparable with your skill level then it may be better to stay there, rather than move down (unless Bankroll Management dictates otherwise). I only suggest this as when your recovery starts, as I'm sure it will, you will be recovering your money at a higher rate.

Best of Luck
    • lozz08
      lozz08
      Bronze
      I've been on a downswing for abount a week now, and all I can say is, this is where BRM really kicks in. I mean, thats what it's for- assuming you play decent poker for the limit you play, brm is there so that variance doesnt send you broke. I, personally, have gone broke, and I'm the kind of guy that that probably had to happen to in order to actually realise these things.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Styrodon

This morning was having a bit of a down swing and my connection kept dropping out. Finally got dealt AA in the BB and could only stare at it as my connection dissapeared. Funny how when you're on a downswing everthing seems to go against you :rolleyes:

Best of Luck
      I fee1l this, im running bad too and yesterday I get AA, flop A boat when suddenly elephant stat screen pops up and covers whole screen and cr
      ashes (does this alot l8ly) - By the time i could close it i had folded the nuts full House to a to villians betting n raising!!