Stack
      UTG1:
      $31,49
      MP1:
      $5,77
      Hero:
      $6,92

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:diamond: , A:club:
      UTG1 calls $0,25, UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0,75, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,75, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $0,50.

Flop: ($2,60) Q:spade: , 8:club: , 9:diamond: (3 players)
      UTG1 checks, MP1 bets $1,25, Hero raises to $6,17 (All-In), UTG1 folds, MP1 calls $3,77 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($12,64) 4:heart:
      River: ($12,64) J:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $12,64

I get some good results cold calling AQ and AK IP. Your thoughts?
  • 4 replies
    • Gonzo394
      Gonzo394
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tampaloeres81
      don't do it.

i don't say it isn't profitable. if you can count on your opponent to make a half-potsize cbet anytime on a A/K/Q-high board with any hand, i can indeed imagine that it is quite profitable.

however i see the problem that your play becomes quite readable.
      you will loose a lot of money to people who are alert to this.

in this hand i would fould preflop, btw.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I think I fold preflop here, MP1 looks quite tight pfr-wise. (although he's raising too small and his vpip is way too high so he's not playing SSS)
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Also by just calling the small bet you give the players behind you great odds to call your bet which would make a multiway pot where your AQ is not good enough but you still would have to go broke on a lot of occasions postflop.

Given the position of the first limper (there is a chance he's slowplaying something good), the lack of information on MP1 (you know that he's loose but you don't know how passive he is yet) and players yet to act behind you I would just fold and wait for a better spot. If I played the hand I would just push for fold equity or maybe just one caller with hopefully a dominated ace or small pocket pair.

fold>push>call
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Tampaloeres81,

don't call preflop when playing SSS. You don't have good implied odds and with hands like AQ you also have domination problems. Besides in this hand you have increased stack which can become expensive if you lack postflop skills.

So, stick to pushing and folding preflop and fold preflop.

If cold calling preflop works for you, do it, but I am afraid it will cost you money in the long term and specially when you move up in limits where you will face more thinking players.

Regards,
      burek2000