[NL2-NL10] NL10 Pocket 8s

• Spidey1978
      Known players:

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8:club: , 8:spade:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, SB raises to $1.85 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero calls $1.20 (All-In).

Flop: ($3.75) Q:club: , 3:club: , A:heart:
      Turn: ($3.75) T:diamond:
      River: ($3.75) 7:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.75

The reason I called the SB raise was because the pot was over twice my remaining stack. Was that the correct move?

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of eights (8c 8s)
      SB shows a pair of aces (Ks Ac)

SB wins with a pair of aces (Ks Ac)
  • 3 replies
    • Tim64
      1. Don't post results - they retard your learning process as it makes it difficult for us to give you objective advice.
      2. At NL10, I'd keep it simple and follow the chart which tells you only to go all in vs a raise after you with TT,JJ,QQ,KK AA and AK;
      3. If you prefer though you can follow the rule which says if the ratio of your remaining stack: your original raise is less than 2.5:1, you can go all in with any hand you raised with. Here your raise is 0.5 and your remaining stack is 1.2, giving you a ratio of 2.4:1 so you can go all in as you did - so nice hand (but not quite for the reason you gave ;)
    • DaPhunk
      I don't know if my analysis is suitable for an NL10 player but....

on BU I raise to 3BB + 1 per limper.

Argument For Calling;

After being 3bet I broke it here. SB may note our range is looser than normal here ISOing this limper whilst on BU so can push a wider range himself. Can't really tell from his stats cos only 18 hands but I think we are normally good to call. Not all Shortstacks play tight after all!

Argument for Folding;

We only have 18 hands on SB. We do not know his range so our call will result in High variance. We also note he is a Shorstack and thus may be playing by Basic SSS in which case he is only 3betting JJ+ AK. Against that range we have an easy fold.
    • burek2000
      Hey Spidey1978,

according to basic strategy you should only go broke when there is a raise behind you with TT+/AK. So, that would mean you should fold, it's best way to avoid mistakes as beginner.

However, if you don't mind you can play by the rule Tim mentioned, where you go all-in with every hand you raised with if the ratio between your raise and remaining stack is less than 2.5:1.