This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL50 58o freeplay

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $9.25
      MP1:
      $50.31

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:spade: , 5:diamond:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, 5 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 9:spade: , 5:heart: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.25) 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: ($3.25) J:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, MP1 raises to $12.25, Hero raises to $7.75 (All-In).

Final Pot: $23.25

Well, I don't much like my call on the flop with only bottom pair and a g/shot. And I probably should have bet Turn potsize after hitting 2 pair.
      Given these two poor mistakes, how should I play the river?
      Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I just give up flop, but having called it I Check turn and C/C river. I doubt a 7 is in his range All that often but I don't think betting gets us that much value from weaker hands.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Fold flop, as played just control the potsize with check/call since you are way ahead or way behind.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

I fold flop, nice way to avoid trouble.

As played, I think leaving initiative to the villain on the turn is ok. But after he checks behind turn, it's close on the river between bet/folding and check/calling. I would prefer to bet 2$ and fold to reraise. If you b/f you can get value from Jx, maybe 9x hands, but on the other hand if villain had FD he might want to bluff river which would favor c/c option.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks, Burek2000,

Just to confirm, if I go for bet/fold on River and do get reraised (like what happened) is the reason I fold to the reraise because of the likelihood villain has a str8?

Thanks
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Thanks, Burek2000,

Just to confirm, if I go for bet/fold on River and do get reraised (like what happened) is the reason I fold to the reraise because of the likelihood villain has a str8?

Thanks
      In this particular case, yes, straight is most likely the hand he will reraise you on the river with, but in general I fold because I just don't see him reraising with any worse hand then your 2-pair on this board. If he would raise you with 1-pair(or another weaker hand than yours) on the river then villain would bluff or turn his hand into bluff and I don't expect that from random opponent.