Good Books about SnG tactics and theories?

• Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Hey folx,

I've recently finished reading Kill Everyone, a book that focuses on varius topics regarding SnG and MTT play. The book was good but it didn't really introduce me to anything I didn't know before. Still I would recommend it to anyone who has a solid grasp of the basics and looks for some advanced knowledge on how to play SnGs or MTTs.

However since I love to read and would like to study more about how to play SnGs and MTTs I would like to ask for recommendations to what books to get for future study? Ideally it'd be a book that I could order from the PokerStars VIP store but other suggestions are welcome as well. If u could write up a few reasons as to why u recommend a specific book that would be great as well!

Hope to find some interesting titles in the thread soon :D Thanks in advance!
  • 11 replies
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Damn I thought this thread would get at least some quality replies. I will continue to bump this thread until it gets some interesting titels as I'm sure other tournament players would appreciate a good poker read :)
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I only bought two books in my "poker carreer":

- play poker like the pro's ,, phil helmuth JR : BIG MISTAKE, don't buy :tongue:

- The poker mindset --> great book, not about the technical aspect though.

I hear good things about Harrington's on Holdem, a book about MTT's. Can't tell you alot about it because I have not read it myself.

I don't think you should buy books for sng's btw.
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Hey,
      unfortunatelly I can't really recommend any book (I wanted to when I saw the thread but since you have already read Kill Everyone and found it too easy, well, most things I have read about SNGs so far were even simplier. :-))
      I have an advice though: don't buy the books from Pokerstars store, they are way too expensice there. You can get a cash bonus instead and buy the books at Amazon, it will save you some money.

Let us know if you find something interesting.
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      I recently read my first book: SitnGo Strategy by Collin Moshman. I definitely improved my game. I don't know how advanced your play already is but there must be something useful in there for you too.

Today, the first book in the 'Dan Harrington on Holdem' series arrived and I 'm looking forward to read it :)
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lpdlamei
      I recently read my first book: SitnGo Strategy by Collin Moshman. I definitely improved my game. I don't know how advanced your play already is but there must be something useful in there for you too.
      Well, the book isn't bad at all, but it's pretty much the same strategy which you can read here at PS.com in SNG section.
      And since Atoks already read Kill Everyone, which is a bit more advanced book than this one, I'm not really sure whether he would find it that interesting. ;-)

Originally posted by lpdlamei
      Today, the first book in the 'Dan Harrington on Holdem' series arrived and I 'm looking forward to read it :)
      I just have the Harington series and some books from Sklansky for a few days (haven't had time to read them yet), so that makes two of us. :f_cool:
    • soapymutt
      soapymutt
      Bronze
      I'm quite new to sit n gos being more a cash player so I recently purchased and am reading Phil Shaw's Secrets of Sit 'n' Gos and finding it really useful. Easy to read, good explanation on ICM and useful tables for push n fold play in later game. Has certainly started me off in the right direction. Wouldn't know if there is anything in there that was new to an advanced player though :P
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Thanks for the recommendations guys, very much appreciated! My game isn't perfect by any means but I get the math behind the decisions we are supposed to make in a SnG. I guess the more u try to develop the game the more it becomes situation specific. But for the record, if ur looking to take ur game to the next leve, Kill Everyone is definately the book to read!
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      Is this book only useful for stt or can it be played in 18Man?

In your opnion, what limit should i be worried to read those books? $16+?
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Phil “Jacka169” Shaw

Phil “Jackal69” Shaw has done it all. He’s won the Sunday Million, beaten $25/$50 NLHE, posted impressive returns in high limit SNGs, and authored articles for numerous poker magazines. And he’s not stopping there. Shaw recently released an impressive new book, titled Secrets of Sit-n-Goes, and over the past ten weeks he’s produced a wildly popular, groundbreaking video series at CardRunners – The SNG System.

Although I have not read the book I have seen almost all his vids on cardrunners and he is very good.

Worth a buy id say
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alverine
      Which one?
      Sit'n go Strategy is written for STTs. You can take some ideas for other formats of course, but it is really focused on that 9/10max sngs.
      Kill Everyone is much more general. There is more math in it and it's more advanced but the principles are explained in a general way. You can use the knowledge for STTs, 18max, 45max, 180max or big MTT tournaments.

Well, I believe that they can improve your game and increase your winrate on any level you play.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze

Kill everyone should help u with both MTTs and STTs. Also u shouldn't be worried, but if u wish to expand ur knowledge, books are a good place to use :)