Avoiding Tilt as a rookie: Multitabling.

• gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Hey guys,
      I just thought I'd throw this on the beginner's forum, because I really needed someone to tell me stuff like this when I started out.

Initially I started playing FL on micro limits, with $30 I put on my accoutn on PartyPoker. I lost a few dollars, won a dollar or two. Overall net loss on FL. I was trying to use the PokerStrategy guidelines but found the post-flop play guidelines to be too open to interpretation. The reality is that you need a reasonable understanding of Pot Odds to play FL post-flop well, in my opinion (and with my limited knowledge). This made it hard for me, as an absolute newbie to internet poker, to learn to play profitably. I tried SnG's and Tourneys briefly, with limited success. My main problem was that, sitting at a poker table for that long almost always brought out the gambler in me. I would tilt, not out of frustration (mostly), or rage, or desire for revenge, or to make up my losses, but because I thought "Well I might get lucky on this hand". Bad move.
      I have learned one valuable thing in my limited time here:
      Luck has a negative Expected Value.

So I swapped across to NL .01/.02, just to learn the SSS. It sounded cool, and lots of people talk about it on the forums. And FL got really boring (Too many calling stations, too much luck on the Turn and River. No folds to the strong hand on the flop). So I started playing the SSS, after reading all the articles (beginners ones in depth, and then a few reads of the Bronze articles. I need to re-read them again, though).

Anyway. I played a single table for a while, trying to get the feel for the starting hands chart (see: memorize it so I can think quicker). The first thing I noticed was that the majority of my time at the table was spent watching the hands play out, having folded before the flop. I started to get edgy. I wanted to play. So I had a go at a hand that looked good (KJo). Bad move. Luck has a negative Expected Value. I lost money, and knew immediately that it was from tilt.

However, I have discovered how I can avoid this kind of boredom-induced tilt. Multi-tabling. Once you know the SHC semi-well, I think it is perfectly safe to play 3-4 tables of NL SSS even as a beginner. The chances of you having to play 2 hands simultaneously aren't very high at all, as most of your hands will fold straight away. Even if you do, its not that hard with 30s of time to make decisions (n.b. I haven't tried Speed tables, so I wouldn't recommend them for this).
      Instantly, I noticed that I was not doing boredom tilts any more. I no longer played A4s because it looked nice. I folded the hands that weren't on the SHC, because I had to, because I had other hands to deal with, other moves to consider.
      You'll never be tempted to play KJ if you've got AA on another board. Having 4 boards up also REALLY helps you to lay down a good hand that doesn't hit anything on the flop. I played for 3 hours (not much, but anyway) without tilting from boredom. In fact, I made a (very small) profit. It made me understand how Poker is a swinging game; you win some, you lose some, but stick to a tried and tested strategy and you're play will have a positive expected value.
      I now can continue playing online poker without feeling like a gambler. Sticking to the NL SSS strategy, including the SHC, is a simple, yet efficient and effective system. I cannot stress this enough: THE SHC IS YOUR BIBLE. I NOW UNDERSTAND WHY THEY (PokerStrategy) PUT SO MUCH EMPHASIS ON THIS.

I hope that my rant above helps someone who is in the same situation as I was. If you can avoid the tilt that occurs from being dealt junk hand after junk hand, you're well on your way to... Well, I hope somewhere good.
  • 7 replies
    • MicNegruSiGras
      MicNegruSiGras
      Bronze
      AWESOME post :)

ALL TRUE FOR ME :) all what you wrote down happend to me yesterday .... just because i got bored .... so this morning i started to play on 2 tables.... after a while 3 ... and now 4 .... i don`t want to pass 4... because i`m still in the learning phase.

and you are right about FL :) to :(

lots of players keep calling with the worst hands... i also noticed lots of players getting lucky on the river...

so i think i will try NL 0.02/0.04 ... just as a test hope will do good for me...:)

anyway great post i`m sure it will help lots of ppl:)
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      *Before you read don't do what i do!!*

I'm multitabling also xD ! 16 tables on full tilt and 8~9 table on ipoker network as on ipoker network its lag when i go beyond 8-9 tables.

It is true that Multitabling prevent tilt.When i play 16 table get AA and lost i don't even tilt as the table are rotating so quickly :P !

But there are cons to multitabling

1st the greatest one is Blinds.By multitabling you have to pay more blind and if you don't get goods hands you will see your bankroll get don't by some dollars after 5 10 mins.I play 16 table thats 16 x 7 (NL5) i lost 1$ every times i complete a hand rotation :P

My greatest flaw when i started to play multitable is everytime watching my cashier and find my bankroll decreased which made me want to play more hand an eventually lose many many hand.

2nd prob with multitabling is that if you play too much table you won't see what type of player you are against which can put you in a difficult situation later on.

3rd prob experience with multitabling you get less experience that playing 1 table and analysing your play.

but playing 4 tables is a good think and can prevent the 3 flaw i just told about multitabling as 4 table will take all your monitor space and you will relatively see how your opponents are playing so it is a good thing ^_^!

I wish you good luck on the table :p
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      if i play less than 10 tables SSS then i lose money because i make too many mistakes out of boredom! if i play like 12+ then i play perfect and i win a lot :f_cool:

so your post is very true
    • LegendKiller77
      LegendKiller77
      Bronze
      thank you guys........that was really helpful for me :) :)
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      This is all true! However! BIG HOWEVER!

The biggest con of multitabling is playing on too many tables and getting overwhelmed. If you can't make 99% of the decisions you would make playing only 1 table, then you are playing too much. I think a lot of us have made this mistake at least once.

SSS on 4 tables is great if you are a beginner. Just have fun and don't worry too much about the profit, rather making the right decision. Just like learning chiptricks! First you have to do it correctly, then speed will come natural! And if I can make a suggestion, get used to cascading tables. This will help you a lot in your decisions; you get all the information at once then decide what to do, and not fall in love with a hand that you must play no matter what:D Also when you add more tables they wont fit all at once:D
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Well as a beginner I'd only recommend 4 tables; its enough to stop the boredom, but not so much that you get overwhelmed. I don't think I'd be comfortable playing 6 or more tables just yet. On the blinds issue; well, if you're playing SSS properly you'd be paying the same blinds anyway, just spending the time waiting for a good hand instead of playing another table.a I don't think the regular blinds is a problem with multi-tabling (one good hand per rotation will pay your blinds and then some).
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gedwashere91
      Well as a beginner I'd only recommend 4 tables; its enough to stop the boredom, but not so much that you get overwhelmed. I don't think I'd be comfortable playing 6 or more tables just yet. On the blinds issue; well, if you're playing SSS properly you'd be paying the same blinds anyway, just spending the time waiting for a good hand instead of playing another table.a I don't think the regular blinds is a problem with multi-tabling (one good hand per rotation will pay your blinds and then some).
      The prob playing 16 table sometimes with a rotation on each 16 table you will get no hand xD !

And seeing your bankroll decrease by 16 BB may put you on tilt :P

It was my main problem when playing multitable but now it is ok ^_^!