Probably already asked 100 times but... Is poker online rigged?

    • tuktukbkk
      tuktukbkk
      Bronze
      Joined: 21.03.2007 Posts: 338
      The more I play the more I have this feeling on tournaments that the software behind most of the poker providers (im playing currently on pokerstars under nickname tuktukbkk) have an algorithm that simplifies the gaem. Certain hands show a little bit more frequently than in live poker - I have seen impossible hands winning with cards given on the turn and river, the guy with more chips 99% of the times will take the pot, etc. I actually start playing considering this and I have been more sucessful than before... so my question to you is: Is poker online rigged? And if thats the case should you adapt your game to take that in consideration?

      With all your answers I will try to make a summary with the top 5 reasons to believe this is true or not true! Tell me your story!
  • 73 replies
    • DeathByHobo
      DeathByHobo
      Bronze
      Joined: 05.08.2009 Posts: 40
      I've seen 3 straight flushes in a week or so. Straight flushes being one of those once in a lifetime hands (probability of hitting one is 1 in 64,974 or 1 in 2,598,960 for a royal flush!) So i'd say that online poker is not so much rigged but programmed to create a little more excitement, exciting hands get people putting that cash in the pot which equates to more rake for the poker sites.

      I've also noticed the way in which the larger chip stack tends to win, especially in all in situations. It could be a ploy to get the games going faster getting small stacks out and back in another game, losing more money. However, larger chip stack is larger for a reason =]

      In my opinion online poker is 'controlled' not rigged. They programme it to profit them rather than win it for particular players. But obviously this could never be proven with out extensive analysis of million of hands from one site and I don''t see that happening any time soon.

      DBH
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.10.2008 Posts: 5,255
      Not another one... I told you few months ago that you'll go bust, don't blame poker rooms for your stupidity.

      /thread
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.06.2008 Posts: 1,462
      I've seen two royal flushes made by the same player in 5 minutes. It was in PLO but still impressive. This, of course, is a clear proof of the r1ggednezz.

    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.05.2008 Posts: 377
      Most probably they are NOT rigged in the way you suggest .. However, sadly, there were a few cheating affairs revealed, I post 2 link, if you want more just google it :
      - http://www.121s.com/viewtopic.php?t=35479
      - http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/19/high-stakes-pl-nl/ultimate-bet-silent-about-insider-cheating-allegations-millions-suspected-stolen-99247/
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.10.2007 Posts: 704
      No

      /thread


      p.s. Everest is.
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.10.2007 Posts: 704
      Originally posted by tuktukbkk
      I have seen impossible hands winning with cards given on the turn and river, the guy with more chips 99% of the times will take the pot, etc.
      This works in 99% of the times against me when I have more chips. My AA/KK/AK/QQ just can't stand against random trash and shortstack donk.
      That's why I left donkaments (sample size is big enough) :P
      Cashgame ftw!!
    • tuktukbkk
      tuktukbkk
      Bronze
      Joined: 21.03.2007 Posts: 338
      Originally posted by DeathByHobo
      I've seen 3 straight flushes in a week or so. Straight flushes being one of those once in a lifetime hands (probability of hitting one is 1 in 64,974 or 1 in 2,598,960 for a royal flush!) So i'd say that online poker is not so much rigged but programmed to create a little more excitement, exciting hands get people putting that cash in the pot which equates to more rake for the poker sites.

      I've also noticed the way in which the larger chip stack tends to win, especially in all in situations. It could be a ploy to get the games going faster getting small stacks out and back in another game, losing more money. However, larger chip stack is larger for a reason =]

      In my opinion online poker is 'controlled' not rigged. They programme it to profit them rather than win it for particular players. But obviously this could never be proven with out extensive analysis of million of hands from one site and I don''t see that happening any time soon.

      DBH
      I really like your answer here! "Controlled" thats a perfect word for the feeling I get some times playing online...
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Joined: 28.10.2008 Posts: 488
      It might be rigged.

      But I'm making money...

      So thats ok.

      :D
    • 8979687
      8979687
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.11.2008 Posts: 2,225
      I have an idea,

      you play at my tables, and you play your "adjusted" way, play rags and crazy cards, Ill play TAG.

      Well see which one of us makes more.

      Try and convince lilke 6 other friends to try your way as well at this same table.....

      Well all play 10k hands..
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Joined: 02.05.2009 Posts: 1,421
      PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST STOP
    • arvydkot
      arvydkot
      Bronze
      Joined: 03.07.2009 Posts: 58
      I think all loosing players thinks that poker is rigged :s_biggrin:
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.05.2007 Posts: 1,820
      Originally posted by 8979687
      I have an idea,

      you play at my tables, and you play your "adjusted" way, play rags and crazy cards, Ill play TAG.

      Well see which one of us makes more.

      Try and convince lilke 6 other friends to try your way as well at this same table.....

      Well all play 10k hands..
      If it's HU then you will lose.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.03.2008 Posts: 910
      Online poker is not rigged. If it were, it would come out. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but in a month or two the site would be discovered, face a lawsuit and lose more than it ever made or will make during its existence, like so many times before.

      Is it possible? Yes.
      Is it probable? No.
      Is it profitable for anyone? No.
    • raymond20001
      raymond20001
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.08.2008 Posts: 3,674
      ipoker is rigged, because i have won several times the bad beat jackpot

      three times on Mansion
      two times on Titan
    • Alafoe
      Alafoe
      Bronze
      Joined: 28.08.2008 Posts: 202
      I dont know
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Joined: 16.10.2007 Posts: 1,922
      Question: If you were winning would you think it's rigged?

      No.

      I suggest you go read some psychology articles.
    • drewmule
      drewmule
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.12.2008 Posts: 20
      confirmed
    • shane0878
      shane0878
      Bronze
      Joined: 30.06.2009 Posts: 164
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Online poker is not rigged. If it were, it would come out. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but in a month or two the site would be discovered, face a lawsuit and lose more than it ever made or will make during its existence, like so many times before.

      Is it possible? Yes.
      Is it probable? No.
      Is it profitable for anyone? No.
      It would come out??? :f_eek:
      Yeah right.
      Like the "MOON LANDINGS" and "911" :s_mad:
      IT'S ALL A COVER UP.................. :f_p:
      Damn no sarcastic shark :f_p:

      But seriously I do think it's controlled.
      Especially in single table SNG.
      The first $50 I ever put on a poker site (Partypoker) I got a royal flush and 4 aces, in the same night, the first night.
      No bullshit.
      I look back now at it as a sweetener, needless to say I lost my money within the week.
      When I moved to Pokerstars and now most recently Full Tilt, I’ve seen something similar.
      I haven’t put money on a site since March so I’m quite content to keep learning the game online.
    • Jonaton
      Jonaton
      Bronze
      Joined: 05.10.2008 Posts: 237
      Originally posted by shane0878
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      Online poker is not rigged. If it were, it would come out. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but in a month or two the site would be discovered, face a lawsuit and lose more than it ever made or will make during its existence, like so many times before.

      Is it possible? Yes.
      Is it probable? No.
      Is it profitable for anyone? No.
      It would come out??? :f_eek:
      Yeah right.
      Like the "MOON LANDINGS" and "911" :s_mad:
      IT'S ALL A COVER UP.................. :f_p:
      Damn no sarcastic shark :f_p:

      But seriously I do think it's controlled.
      Especially in single table SNG.
      The first $50 I ever put on a poker site (Partypoker) I got a royal flush and 4 aces, in the same night, the first night.
      No bullshit.
      I look back now at it as a sweetener, needless to say I lost my money within the week.
      When I moved to Pokerstars and now most recently Full Tilt, I’ve seen something similar.
      I haven’t put money on a site since March so I’m quite content to keep learning the game online.
      Of course you have seen something similar. Playing online about 70 hands per hour are played per table and many people are multi tabling so they may see several hundred or even thousand hands per hour. Playing live you see about 20 hands per hour. Pokerstars deals about 12 million hands per day, the biggest casinos deal that many in 4 months, of course online you will see way more set vs set vs set, quads vs quads and just absurd bad beats.