[NL20-NL50] 88 bottom set uberscary board NL50 SH

• LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I can't fold here ever, right?
      EDIT: Now I remember. My concern was that by raising I will only keep better hands in the hand because overpairs would reraise me preflop I think. But I also really need to protect here.. So how do I balance that? I went for the overprotection here...

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($50.25)
      BB ($50)
      UTG ($27.80)
      UTG+1 ($21.35)
      CO ($39.65)
      Hero ($70.55)

Dealt to Hero 8:heart: 8:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, fold, Hero raises to $2.50, SB calls $2.25, fold, fold

FLOP ($6) T:club: 9:heart: 8:club:

SB checks, Hero bets $4.50, SB raises to $12, Hero raises to $68.05 (AI), SB calls $35.75 (AI)

TURN ($101) T:club: 9:heart: 8:club: A:diamond:

RIVER ($101) T:club: 9:heart: 8:club: A:diamond: 5:spade:
  • 6 replies
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      You are forgetting the majority of his range here, his draws so when you raise you are not just against better made hands. Of course this situation is always all-in, have a mess around with pokerstove i am sure you are a favourite against his realistic range.

Balance what exactly? First off this is NL50 don't really need to balance and you balance this flop by pushing with your strong draws as well as your made hands.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      On this flop, I can't imagine what you'd be behind against as villain has limp-called out of position. TT-99 hardly make sence, and you'd nevertheles put your stack in the middle. Even against a made straight, you have a redraw to a FH, so I would play it in a similar fashion. The AI 3-bet might have been a little over the top, but considering the villain's stack size (and the fact that he called), the money would've gone in anyway.

For the reference, if a scarecard comes, don't be afraid to bet/fold. The money you have put in are insignificant compared to your entire stack, and if the opponent re-raises such a board, he's rarely bluffing.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Originally posted by csnmf
      You are forgetting the majority of his range here, his draws so when you raise you are not just against better made hands.

Balance what exactly?
      I'm not forgetting the draws that's why I feel such a need to protect and that's why i ended up reraising him because he I think that most of the time he either has nothing or he has a draw.
      The thing is that after I reraise he should fold his weakish draws like FD or straight draw and he will also fold his bluffs and one pair hands (that would be top or second pairs since the overpairs are pretty unlikely given the preflop play) and will only call me with the misplayed overpair or hands that beat me.

I didn't mean line balancing. I meant balancing protection with value extraction because if I flat the reraise he might still invest more money with his pairs and such but would also get good odds to draw out on me..
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      The AI 3-bet might have been a little over the top, but considering the villain's stack size (and the fact that he called), the money would've gone in anyway.

For the reference, if a scarecard comes, don't be afraid to bet/fold. The money you have put in are insignificant compared to your entire stack, and if the opponent re-raises such a board, he's rarely bluffing.
      Once I 3bet him on the flop fold is not an option. I would be getting too good odds. And bet/fold is defo not an option either since he would be left with only about 17$ even after a small 3bet.. :f_grin:

I really like the bet/fold line in general though and I'm using it plenty. Scary boards are ideal for this since very few people bluff when they are scared that you might have it..
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LuborC
      Originally posted by csnmf
      You are forgetting the majority of his range here, his draws so when you raise you are not just against better made hands.

Balance what exactly?
      I'm not forgetting the draws that's why I feel such a need to protect and that's why i ended up reraising him because he I think that most of the time he either has nothing or he has a draw.
      The thing is that after I reraise he should fold his weakish draws like FD or straight draw and he will also fold his bluffs and one pair hands (that would be top or second pairs since the overpairs are pretty unlikely given the preflop play) and will only call me with the misplayed overpair or hands that beat me.

I didn't mean line balancing. I meant balancing protection with value extraction because if I flat the reraise he might still invest more money with his pairs and such but would also get good odds to draw out on me..
      He can still sometimes call you with 2 pair hands or 1 pair + OESD type hands which you are ahead of. So here T9, T8, 98, JT.. sometimes I've seen people show up with stuff like 77, JJ, AJ, AT here as well. Since there is also a flushdraw - he can also hold strong combo draws like AcJc with which he would certainly get it in here.

Given his range I think your line is fine.

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      On this flop, I can't imagine what you'd be behind against as villain has limp-called out of position. TT-99 hardly make sence, and you'd nevertheles put your stack in the middle. Even against a made straight, you have a redraw to a FH, so I would play it in a similar fashion. The AI 3-bet might have been a little over the top, but considering the villain's stack size (and the fact that he called), the money would've gone in anyway.

+1
      against strong c/r I´m shoving there, he isn´t folding almost never