[NL2-NL10] coldcalling in SSS wtf?

• delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      I know the strategy says never ever do this, but I think this was an exception. With a 12% chance of hitting trips I figured I need to get about $6 back if I hit. With 2 cold callers the pot is already nearly $4 and still two loose players behind me. I am pretty sure I had good enough implied odds to make a call here.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $7.79
      Hero:
      $5.00
      UTG1:
      $9.83
      UTG2:
      $3.92
      MP1:
      $22.76
      CO:
      $34.64
      BU:
      $10.38

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2:diamond: , 2:spade:
      UTG1 calls $0.25, UTG2 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, 2 folds, CO raises to $1.00, BU calls $1.00, SB calls $0.90, Hero calls $0.75, UTG1 calls $0.75, UTG2 calls $0.75, MP1 folds.

Flop: ($6.25) 3:spade: , 8:heart: , 9:diamond: (6 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG1 bets $2.00, UTG2 raises to $2.92 (All-In), CO calls $2.92, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $0.92.

Turn: ($15.01) 4:spade: (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, CO checks.

River: ($15.01) Q:spade: (3 players)
      UTG1 raises $5.91 (All-In), CO folds.

Final Pot: $20.92
  • 9 replies
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461
      I know the strategy says never ever do this, but I think this was an exception. With a 12% chance of hitting trips I figured I need to get about $6 back if I hit. With 2 cold callers the pot is already nearly $4 and still two loose players behind me. I am pretty sure I had good enough implied odds to make a call here.
      with a pkt pair you hit a set not trips, best advice is stick strictly to the rules for sss, any deviation costs money.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Nh, you have good enough odds and you did a good analysis.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Interesting. You only have to call $0.75 and it looks like you are certainly going to get it in if you hit so I guess you can call.
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      what i do find interesting is that both daphunk and rahxephon are advocating calling here, i'm aware of the implied odds etc, but you are calling off 3bb here, the guidelines for sss are quite strict, set mining is not advocated, that is for a very good reason, and until you have mastered the basics it is not advisable to deter from them.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      I am advocating it precisely because he knows why he did it. Since he wasn't sure he asked for an opinion. A strategy is just a guideline, not a single case in poker is completely identic and the more you know how to adapt on the fly the better you are.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ukcoolcat
      what i do find interesting is that both daphunk and rahxephon are advocating calling here, i'm aware of the implied odds etc, but you are calling off 3bb here, the guidelines for sss are quite strict, set mining is not advocated, that is for a very good reason, and until you have mastered the basics it is not advisable to deter from them.
      Are you saying that one of us isn't experienced enough to defer from basic strategy or is this just addressed to the potential myriad of inexperienced bronze users who may be reading this post and wrongfully concluding that you can call pockets in SSS for set value in spots where they might not actually have the correct implieds?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      You need to be aware of set over set situations and therefore you cannot say ''I need 8;1 directly'' because one cannot do that with BSS as well (at least not in 3bet pots.. call20 applies in a 2bet pot ofc.)

So you get 5.25:1 and you need to extract 7*$0.75 = $5.25 from your opponents on later streets

So If you hit your set c/RAI and hope someone will pay you off

I think it is a good thing to think about this and I will do the same :)

- Gerv
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      Are you saying that one of us isn't experienced enough to defer from basic strategy or is this just addressed to the potential myriad of inexperienced bronze users who may be reading this post and wrongfully concluding that you can call pockets in SSS for set value in spots where they might not actually have the correct implieds?
      daphunk, you read what i wrote, use your own judgement and don't get so touchy, don't let the bronze member fool you, i was a gold member here until i decided not to subscribe to ps anymore, so i am perfectly well equiped to offer an opinion.

daphunk and rahxephon1, i'm fully aware of players expanding their play and think that is definitely a good and correct thing to do.

the reason i question both of you advocating it is for exactly the reasons i stated, he was CALLING off 3bb, approx 15% of his stack, with the lowest pair possible, thereby leaving himself completely exposed to a higher pair, therefore a higher set if they both hit, which would've cost him his stack, even with a bss it is only recommended to set mine calling with between 5 & 10% of your stack.

advocating flat calling 3bb, is not a good message to be sending out to beginners and slightly more advanced players, as it can quite easily turn into a big leak with a strategy such as sss imo.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      daphunk, you read what i wrote, use your own judgement and don't get so touchy, don't let the bronze member fool you, i was a gold member here until i decided not to subscribe to ps anymore, so i am perfectly well equiped to offer an opinion.

daphunk and rahxephon1, i'm fully aware of players expanding their play and think that is definitely a good and correct thing to do.

the reason i question both of you advocating it is for exactly the reasons i stated, he was CALLING off 3bb, approx 15% of his stack, with the lowest pair possible, thereby leaving himself completely exposed to a higher pair, therefore a higher set if they both hit, which would've cost him his stack, even with a bss it is only recommended to set mine calling with between 5 & 10% of your stack.

advocating flat calling 3bb, is not a good message to be sending out to beginners and slightly more advanced players, as it can quite easily turn into a big leak with a strategy such as sss imo.
      you're posting in the wrong section of the forum. you want the NL SSS strategy discussion forum, this thread is for a specific hand.