[NL20-NL50] Nut straight - doomed from the beginning?

• Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP3 ($49.75)
      CO ($54.40)
      Button ($52.70)
      SB ($50.25)
      BB ($50)
      UTG ($51.25)
      UTG+1 ($52.55)
      MP1 ($52.65)
      Hero (MP2) ($33.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5, 6
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, 3 folds, SB calls $0.25, BB checks

Flop: ($2) 4, 7, Q (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP1 bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50, 1 fold, BB calls $1.50

Turn: ($6.50) 3 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP1 bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50, BB calls $3.50

River: ($17) 6 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP1 bets $8.50, Hero raises to $27.70 (All-In), 1 fold, MP1 calls $19.20

Total pot: $72.40 | Rake: $3

Results below:
      MP1 had Q, J (flush, Queen high).
      Hero had 5, 6 (straight, seven high).
      Outcome: MP1 won $69.40

I certainly did not put him on two hearts and did not expect him to be on a draw there. Was this misplayed, or was it doomed from the very beginning?
  • 2 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Styr,

The hand starts at your stack size :) You have 33,20 but should have 50$ in your stack in order to maximize your value.

In this hand I don't really like the pre-flop limp along from MP2, but am not really much a FR player.

On the flop you have an OESD and due to the rainbow flop clean outs and relatively good implied odds against a queen or similar. So I think a call is fine here, especially given the opponent calling behind you.

On the turn you get your immortal nuts, and a flush draw joins the board- If you had a $50 stack it would be more important than ever to start building a pot here. You don't want to have the river pair and you don't want another heart (even though sets / FDs aren't necessarily likely) and want to have a nice pot that will allow you to get it all-in on the river without overbetting. So I would definitely raise here, 10-12$ or similar.

On the river you then have a big enough pot in which to just potsize bet to get it all-in. That he had TP + FD was unfortunate.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      Hey Styr,

The hand starts at your stack size :) You have 33,20 but should have 50$ in your stack in order to maximize your value.

In this hand I don't really like the pre-flop limp along from MP2, but am not really much a FR player.

On the flop you have an OESD and due to the rainbow flop clean outs and relatively good implied odds against a queen or similar. So I think a call is fine here, especially given the opponent calling behind you.

On the turn you get your immortal nuts, and a flush draw joins the board- If you had a $50 stack it would be more important than ever to start building a pot here. You don't want to have the river pair and you don't want another heart (even though sets / FDs aren't necessarily likely) and want to have a nice pot that will allow you to get it all-in on the river without overbetting. So I would definitely raise here, 10-12$ or similar.

On the river you then have a big enough pot in which to just potsize bet to get it all-in. That he had TP + FD was unfortunate.
      +1
      I´d likely call river, since it is hard worse hands to call your shove