This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] Nut straight - doomed from the beginning?

• Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP3 ($49.75)
      CO ($54.40)
      Button ($52.70)
      SB ($50.25)
      BB ($50)
      UTG ($51.25)
      UTG+1 ($52.55)
      MP1 ($52.65)
      Hero (MP2) ($33.20)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5, 6
      2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, 3 folds, SB calls $0.25, BB checks

Flop: ($2) 4, 7, Q (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP1 bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50, 1 fold, BB calls $1.50

Turn: ($6.50) 3 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP1 bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50, BB calls $3.50

River: ($17) 6 (3 players)
      BB checks, MP1 bets $8.50, Hero raises to $27.70 (All-In), 1 fold, MP1 calls $19.20

Total pot: $72.40 | Rake: $3

Results below:
      MP1 had Q, J (flush, Queen high).
      Hero had 5, 6 (straight, seven high).
      Outcome: MP1 won $69.40

I certainly did not put him on two hearts and did not expect him to be on a draw there. Was this misplayed, or was it doomed from the very beginning?
  • 2 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Styr,

The hand starts at your stack size :) You have 33,20 but should have 50$ in your stack in order to maximize your value.

In this hand I don't really like the pre-flop limp along from MP2, but am not really much a FR player.

On the flop you have an OESD and due to the rainbow flop clean outs and relatively good implied odds against a queen or similar. So I think a call is fine here, especially given the opponent calling behind you.

On the turn you get your immortal nuts, and a flush draw joins the board- If you had a $50 stack it would be more important than ever to start building a pot here. You don't want to have the river pair and you don't want another heart (even though sets / FDs aren't necessarily likely) and want to have a nice pot that will allow you to get it all-in on the river without overbetting. So I would definitely raise here, 10-12$ or similar.

On the river you then have a big enough pot in which to just potsize bet to get it all-in. That he had TP + FD was unfortunate.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      Hey Styr,

The hand starts at your stack size :) You have 33,20 but should have 50$ in your stack in order to maximize your value.

In this hand I don't really like the pre-flop limp along from MP2, but am not really much a FR player.

On the flop you have an OESD and due to the rainbow flop clean outs and relatively good implied odds against a queen or similar. So I think a call is fine here, especially given the opponent calling behind you.

On the turn you get your immortal nuts, and a flush draw joins the board- If you had a $50 stack it would be more important than ever to start building a pot here. You don't want to have the river pair and you don't want another heart (even though sets / FDs aren't necessarily likely) and want to have a nice pot that will allow you to get it all-in on the river without overbetting. So I would definitely raise here, 10-12$ or similar.

On the river you then have a big enough pot in which to just potsize bet to get it all-in. That he had TP + FD was unfortunate.
      +1
      I´d likely call river, since it is hard worse hands to call your shove