$25 to $1K - Turbo Challenge

• daerson
      daerson
      Bronze
      _background_
      I'm not a young guy. And not an old one either. I'm just in the very middle of my life and, suddenly, realize that the years I have left are little bit more than the ones I lived. So, at my last birthday, I decided to get Poker more seriously, turning it into a secondary source of income and, in a near future, my retirement plan.

I’ve been playing poker, mainly NLHE, for the last three year. To me it was more a way to relax than a serious hobby. I’ve played watching TV or while my wife played some videogame. It was just to relax and spend some time not thinking very much (such a thing I do a lot at my real job). Just fold, raise, call, fold, and sometime win, sometime loss, not very much to worry about.

I’ve been around this community for almost a year. Got my initial bankroll, played very standard SSS strategy at Fulltilt, earn some money at cash tables and MTTs. I’m a very patient guy, with a little tendency to go on tilt after coin flips losses, but I’m trying to improve it.

And, as you may noticed, I’m not a natural English spoken, so, apologizes for my bad English.

_the challenge_
      I've decided to put myself in akind of challenge. That's why this blog is here. The objective is to turn an initial $25 bankroll into $1000 in a very short time. For that, I'm following these rules:

. Play on cash game table, NLHE, 2 to 4 tables max;
      . I will use BSS standard strategy;
      . I choose to play this challenge in a very fishy poker room :s_biggrin: ;
      . Never risk more than 20% of my bankroll on Buyins (except for the first two steps);
      . Buy in for 75BB to 100BB of the table level;
      . Every time I have 75BB of the max buyin for a level, and it is not more than 20% of my bankroll, I move to that level;
      . I raise my initial buyin until it reach 100BB, if it is not more than 20% of my bankroll;
      . The objective of each step of the challenge is to double-up my initial buyin;
      . I will play 2 hours daily sessions. If I manage to double up before that, the session ends.
      . On next day, I re-enter on challege following my actual bankroll. This means that if I had lost some money on the previous session, probably I will have to enter on a previous step.

Humm... It seems more complicated in words than in numbers, so, the plan is this:

Step BR Stakes BI Win Out Risk
      1 $25,00 NL10 $7,50 $7,50 $32,50 30%
      2 $32,50 NL10 $7,50 $7,50 $40,00 23%
      3 $40,00 NL10 $7,50 $7,50 $47,50 19%
      4 $47,50 NL10 $7,50 $7,50 $55,00 16%
      5 $55,00 NL10 $10,00 $10,00 $65,00 18%
      6 $65,00 NL10 $10,00 $10,00 $75,00 15%
      7 $75,00 NL20 $15,00 $15,00 $90,00 20%
      8 $90,00 NL20 $15,00 $15,00 $105,00 17%
      9 $105,00 NL20 $20,00 $20,00 $125,00 19%
      10 $125,00 NL20 $20,00 $20,00 $145,00 16%
      11 $145,00 NL20 $20,00 $20,00 $165,00 14%
      12 $165,00 NL20 $20,00 $20,00 $185,00 12%
      13 $185,00 NL50 $37,50 $37,50 $222,50 20%
      14 $222,50 NL50 $37,50 $37,50 $260,00 17%
      15 $260,00 NL50 $50,00 $50,00 $310,00 19%
      16 $310,00 NL50 $50,00 $50,00 $360,00 16%
      17 $360,00 NL50 $50,00 $50,00 $410,00 14%
      18 $410,00 NL100 $75,00 $75,00 $485,00 18%
      19 $485,00 NL100 $75,00 $75,00 $560,00 15%
      20 $560,00 NL100 $100,00 $100,00 $660,00 18%
      21 $660,00 NL100 $100,00 $100,00 $760,00 15%
      22 $760,00 NL200 $150,00 $150,00 $910,00 20%
      23 $910,00 NL200 $150,00 $150,00 $1.060,00 16%

I hope that clears my plan and my objective.

_faq_
      "Holy F#$%k! 20% of your Bankroll? Are you crazy?"
      Acctually this is just the bankroll I reserved to this challenge. My "support" bankroll to this challenge is much larger than that. I could try this challenge at least 10 times again before it really hurts my "support" bankroll.

"Double up every session? It is not real!!"
      No, the plan is not to double up every session, but double up every step. A step could take me more than one session.

"OK, let's see... You are on step 10. You have $125 on your bankroll. You enter in a NL20 table with100BB ($20). Your first hand is pocket aces. The pre-flop goes well, but after that you enter on a all-in against some crazy guy and lost all you stack. So, what you do?"
      I had $125, lost $20. I will shut down my computer, go to sleep, and on the other day, I will re-enter on the challenge on step 9. Just that.

_advice for the readers_
      Please, DO NOT TRY TO FOLLOW THIS CHALLENGE AS A BANKROLL MANAGEMENT! Even more if you are thinking on use your starting capital!!
      This is a challenge, a trial, an experience, a test, not a strategy to build a bankroll in a safety way. Risk more than 5% of your bankroll on a table it is not a good strategy.

As I said, i am putting $25 of my actual bankroll in this challenge, and it is much less than 5% of my "support" bankroll.

_final words_
      Worst case scenario: I will loose my $25 bucks. That's sad, but wont hurt. Let's try again :f_frown: .
      Most probable scenario: I will spend three months trying to achieve the objectives;
      Less probable scenario: Wooohooo! A thousand bucks in a month! I did it! Let's try again :s_biggrin: !!!

Any advice, critics, analisys and kindly support words will be very welcome.

And now, let's try it...
  • 13 replies
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Originally posted by daerson

I could try this challenge at least 10 times again before it really hurts my "support" bankroll.
      Its always fun to do some challenges like this esp when its not for amounts of $$ that would do harm to your overall bankroll best of luck jus dont get too upset if it falls apart when your close to target.

Also on your step column how did you calculate risk and whats it for?
    • daerson
      daerson
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jmackenzie

Its always fun to do some challenges like this esp when its not for amounts of $$ that would do harm to your overall bankroll best of luck jus dont get too upset if it falls apart when your close to target.

Also on your step column how did you calculate risk and whats it for?
      Jmackenzie, it is just the percentual of my actual bankroll that I will use as buyin. In other words, how much of my bankroll I am putting in risk when I sit on a table. I figured out this would be an useful guideline to control my losses.
    • daerson
      daerson
      Bronze
      _step 1 - NL10 $7.50 - 08/19/09_

Yo! First step of the challenge completed.

step: 1
      stake: NL10
      buy-in: $7.50 (75BB)
      amont won: $7.67 (76BB)
      sessions: 2 sessions - 02:42h
      hands played: 889
      BB/100: 4.31
      actual bankroll: $32.67

Not very bad for the first step. Tonight I will start step 2.

_overall status_

_:s_biggrin: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$_
    • daerson
      daerson
      Bronze
      _step1 : worst hand_

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) - Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP3 ($9.90)
      CO ($10)
      Button ($2.87)
      SB ($3.40)
      Hero (BB) ($10)
      UTG ($5)
      UTG+1 ($16.84)
      MP1 ($3.04)
      MP2 ($2.67)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, 5
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 1 fold, CO (poster) checks, Button calls $0.10, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.45) 5, 10, 4 (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.22, MP2 raises to $2.57 (All-In), CO raises to $9.90 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls $9.68 (All-In)

Turn: ($22.82) 6 (3 players, 3 all-in)

River: ($22.82) J (3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: $22.82 | Rake: $1.52

Results below:
      Hero mucked A, 5 (one pair, fives).
      MP2 had K, 10 (one pair, tens).
      CO had 6, 2 (flush, ten high).
      Outcome: CO won $21.30

_how I played_

A, 5 on BB. Correct play: just check.
      MP2 and BU limped in. I check. Let's see a free flop.
      the flop comes 5, T, 4 . I made a low pair and nut flush draw and a gutshot straight draw. Nice odds, but scary flop. I need information on where I am. I made a probe-bet of half the pot.
      MP2 goes all-in. Probably he made a flush.
      BU reraises all-in. F#$%K! He probably made a flush too. Probably he is holding the K.
      let's do some math: my only hope is another diamond card. I had one, the board had three, the other guys had more four. 8 out of 13 cards. 5 outs. Very bad. Correct play: fold.
      But hey!, what about that so called implied odds? If i hit another diamond, I will have the nut flush and a huge pot. I called.
      Bad move. Very bad move... :f_cry:
    • daerson
      daerson
      Bronze
      _step 1 - best hand_

MP1 ($3.38)
      MP2 ($5.33)
      MP3 ($5.10)
      CO ($11.07)
      Button ($2.50)
      SB ($1.90)
      Hero (BB) ($10.04)
      UTG ($5)
      UTG+1 ($10.32)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, A
      1 fold, UTG+1 bets $0.30, 6 folds, Hero raises to $0.90, UTG+1 calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.85) A, 10, Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $1, Hero calls $1

Turn: ($3.85) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $1.92, Hero calls $1.92

River: ($7.69) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.84, UTG+1 raises to $6.50 (All-In), Hero calls $2.38 (All-In)

Total pot: $20.13 | Rake: $1.34

Results below:
      Hero mucked A, A (three of a kind, Aces).
      UTG+1 had Q, Q (three of a kind, Queens).
      Outcome: Hero won $18.79

_how I played_

pocket aces on BB. I prayed that some one raises this pot before me.
      UTG+1 made the standard 3-bet. I reraised him on a blink. He calls. Hummm... he is a little bit looser. Probably he has TT+ or AK.
      The flop came with some straight draws. But he would not have called my pre-flop raise with KJ. I am probably way ahead. Let slowplay to get some information...
      He bets half-pot. Probably two pairs or a low trip. QQQ is my guess. I just did a bluff call. Let's trap him.
      A disconnected 8 came on turn. He bets half the pot again. He is trying to get some information from me. Let's him think he had the best hand. Just called again.
      Another disconnected card on river. Time to stab. I bet half-pot as it is the way he had been betting since the flop. He reraises all-in. Then I just lol :s_biggrin:
    • daerson
      daerson
      Bronze
      _step 2 - NL10 $7.50 - 08/20/09_

second step is done. Pretty well, i think:

step: 2
      stake: NL10
      buy-in: $7.50 (75BB)
      amount won: $16.28 (129BB)
      sessions: 1 sessions - 01:12h
      hands played: 218
      BB/100: 37.34
      actual bankroll: $48.95

With this bankroll I could jump direct to step 4. But i believe that the right choice here is just to go straight, as a larger bankroll means less risk on step 3 (15% vs 19%):

step bankroll stake buy-in win out risk
      3 $48,95 NL10 $7,50 $7,50 $56,45 15%

Let's move to step 3 tomorrow!

_overall status_

_:s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$_
    • daerson
      daerson
      Bronze
      _step 2 - my best hand_

saw flop | saw showdown

MP1 ($1.55)
      MP2 ($2.05)
      MP3 ($5.23)
      CO ($1.85)
      Button ($17.71)
      SB ($8.90)
      BB ($1.29)
      UTG ($10.45)
      Hero (UTG+1) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A, A
      UTG calls $0.10, Hero bets $0.50, 7 folds, UTG calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.15) 5, Q, 6 (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $0.80, UTG raises to $1.70, Hero calls $0.90

Turn: ($4.55) 10 (2 players)
      UTG bets $2.50, Hero calls $2.50

River: ($9.55) 8 (2 players)
      UTG bets $5.75 (All-In), Hero calls $5.30 (All-In)

Total pot: $20.15 | Rake: $1.34

Results below:
      UTG had Q, K (one pair, Queens).
      Hero mucked A, A (one pair, Aces).
      Outcome: Hero won $18.81

_how I played_

pocket aces on UTG+2.
      UTG+1 limps in. I raised the standard 5BB. Everyone folds. UTG+1 calls.
      Whatta hell? What does he had? Something weak to just limp in on early position, but strong to call a 5BB bet? Weird... I putted him on big pairs (JJ+) as I did not have any better read on him.
      Q56 rainbow comes the flop. Damn Queen. He could have a trip. He checked. That shows weakness (maybe a JJ or less) or strongness (KK or QQ) and he was trying to trap me. I really needed more information, so I made a standard c-bet (8BB).
      He miniraised me. OK, that's good. Let's think about. If he had pocket queens, he probably just called my bet to try to keep me on the hand. A raise in that case was more a sign of weakness, showing that he was just trying to steal the pot right there. So I called the raise.
      A 10 came on turn. He did a probe bet about half-pot size. He was trying to figure out where he was. I decided not to show any strength and give any information. And beside that, if he really was holding QQ, my best choice there was to control the pot size. So, I just called again.
      Eight on the river. He was pot committed, so he just shove the rest of his stack on the table. At that point, if he was really holding something like JJ+, i would win 78% of the time. So, I called and prayed to not see two queens.
      He showed K,Q. Just high-pair! And he called my preflop raise! And bet all the way down to the river! Fish! Fish! Fish! :s_biggrin:
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      hey there,

great blog. love reading the analysis of your plays. good luck with your challenge :)
    • AugustusCaesar
      AugustusCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by daerson
      _step1 : worst hand_

_how I played_

A, 5 on BB. Correct play: just check.
      MP2 and BU limped in. I check. Let's see a free flop.
      the flop comes 5, T, 4 . I made a low pair and nut flush draw and a gutshot straight draw. Nice odds, but scary flop. I need information on where I am. I made a probe-bet of half the pot.
      MP2 goes all-in. Probably he made a flush.
      BU reraises all-in. F#$%K! He probably made a flush too. Probably he is holding the K.
      let's do some math: my only hope is another diamond card. I had one, the board had three, the other guys had more four. 8 out of 13 cards. 5 outs. Very bad. Correct play: fold.
      But hey!, what about that so called implied odds? If i hit another diamond, I will have the nut flush and a huge pot. I called.
      Bad move. Very bad move... :f_cry:
      Please, let me make a few notes, maybe they will be helpful for you:
      - I do not see you having a gut-shot on that flop
      - Betting on the flop is not a good idea IMO, you are out of position, what you do on the turn if you dont hit (and get called)? Basically you can only get raised by a better hand, or called by a total fish with K high draw (note that MP2 had a top pair also)
      - About the math -> you had like 5 outs which gives you about 20% to win the hand, you had to call 42% of the pot you could win which makes it highly -EV
      - About the implied odds -> You probably do not understand what they stand for. They are about calling a bet on the flop (turn) with not so great odds, but with a possibilty to win huge if you hit, because your opponent will pay you off when you have a hand and great advantage .. By calling allin you have NO implied odds in the hand any more

- The hand with AAA vs QQQ -> Set over set will end all-in probably on any limit, so not much more to say
      - The other AA hand -> I really do not like slowplaying AA especially on NL10 ;-)

One more thing about poker language
      - A 3-bet is not a raise to 3 big blinds, but a reraise of a raise (a third bet)
    • daerson
      daerson
      Bronze
      Originally posted by AugustusCaesar

Please, let me make a few notes, maybe they will be helpful for you:
      - Betting on the flop is not a good idea IMO, you are out of position, what you do on the turn if you dont hit (and get called)? Basically you can only get raised by a better hand, or called by a total fish with K high draw (note that MP2 had a top pair also)
      - About the math -> you had like 5 outs which gives you about 20% to win the hand, you had to call 42% of the pot you could win which makes it highly -EV
      - About the implied odds -> You probably do not understand what they stand for. They are about calling a bet on the flop (turn) with not so great odds, but with a possibilty to win huge if you hit, because your opponent will pay you off when you have a hand and great advantage .. By calling allin you have NO implied odds in the hand any more

- The hand with AAA vs QQQ -> Set over set will end all-in probably on any limit, so not much more to say
      - The other AA hand -> I really do not like slowplaying AA especially on NL10 ;-)

One more thing about poker language
      - A 3-bet is not a raise to 3 big blinds, but a reraise of a raise (a third bet)
      Augustus, thank you very much for you analisys and feedback. It is really helpful! Read some words like yours is the real reason this blog is here.

Let's extend a little bit your words:

Yep! You are right. What I saw was a kind of double inside straight draw if a miracle bringed me and 2 and 3 on turn and river. It is draw that i not ever count when i played this hand, just noticed when i was reviewing it.

Well, couldn't put him on any hand at that point. If I checked, he could c-bet me and i never knew if it was a bluff or a real bet. So decided to took the aggression and try to catch some information with my probe-bet. I think that my real mistake was not fold to his re-raise. He check-raised me all-in on a hevydraw board. It was fold, for sure.

You are absolte right! That was my mistake! I put this 22% of diference on the hands of the holly ghost of the implied odds. Again, shame on me...

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Implied odds is one of most misunderstanded concepts of poker. This hand was an example of how this concept was used in wrong ways. I will try to improve this leak on my game.

You are right most of the times. But I was against a loose player on a straight draw board. My overpair could not be that much. So I decided to slowplay to control the pot.

Thank you again. I will review my poker lingo :D
    • daerson
      daerson
      Bronze
      _steady, study and stealing_

Well, things has been pretty steady last days.

Last friday I played a 2h session that was almost break-even. Just $0.95 of profit. On sunday I spent an hour reading and studying some poker articles.

As normal rule, i don't play at weekend. I have a lovely wife and two little dogs that i can't give all attention they need during the workdays. Mondays are out too, as it is "movie's night" with my wife (yeah, mondays have nice promotions on movie tickets, so we le to see ours movies when it is cheaper).

I'm very interesting on re-stealing issues. Does anybody have nice insight, articles or good piece of information about it?
    • fred1509
      fred1509
      Bronze
      nice blog.. i like the way how u explain every move of urs.
      i will keep reading for sure ^^
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Nice blog.

Are you still doing this thing? As I read through it I get inspired and want to do the same thing. If I can somehow find the self dicipline inside of me.

Best of luck.