My Poker Way of Continous Improvement

• funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Dear guest,

I was thinking for a long time how to name my blog. And it happens that yeasterday I played hand, that is connected to my job - quality.

The goal of quality is to meet certain requirements and be better every time we have to meet them again.

I see poker as my second job. Therefore I spent a lot of time on it and trying to be better every day, every session I play.

Let's start with motivation hand on continous improvement:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$1/$2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

We have fairly nice hand for late position so lets open with it. 3-bet is not nice, but anyway we are going to see flop with it.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T, J.
      Hero raises, MP3 3-Bets, 3 folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Oh. Let's see it. We flopped top pair. That is decent hand and we can see showdown with it... wait a moment we have straight gutshot flushdraw as well... we started prety well!

Flop: (9.5 SB) 9, 7, J (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, MP3 bets, BB folds, Hero raises, MP3 3-Bets, Hero caps, MP3 calls.

Ok, the second jack definetely scared our comptetitor as he does not provide any additional action. But we have trip. That is prety nice improvement. We are doing great

Turn: (8.75 BB) J (2 players)
      Hero bets, MP3 calls.

And finally. Can you believe it? All our hard work gets its fruits now. We have improved again. Let see our new standard that comptetitor shall be afraid of.

River: (10.75 BB) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a straight flush, jack high(T J).
      MP3 shows two pairs, aces and jacks(A A).

Hero wins with a straight flush, jack high(T J).

Dear guest. Now I belive that you understand what continous improvement is. Be better every time you try. Like in this hand.

My goal is improve from solid foundation (JTs) that I get by studing to advanced understanding of the game (straight flush). I hope that I am at the moment at least at Top Pair on flop situation.

Let sum myself quickly...
      [x] Employed
      [x] Married
      [x] Children (small amazing boy)

That means I do not have as much time for poker as I would like to have. Only reason why I am willing spent on Pokers so much time on it is additional source of income.

I started this blog to make sure that I will properly analyze my game (in terms of BRM, rake and rakeback, books, poker study, etc.).

At the moment I play $1/2 FLHE (SH) NL100 and PLO50

The sites I play are
      [x] FullTilt Poker
      [x PokerStars (not tracked)
      [x Party Poker
      [x] Bodog

I created couple of replies where I will track literature, rakebacks, etc.

Enjoy and I am looking for any tips.

Regards

Funktor
  • 120 replies
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      [x] Play 25k hands a month
      [x] Properly track bonuses
      [x] Maintain silver Iron status on FT
      [x] Start NL100
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Expect here information on books I have and read
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Place Holder
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Place Holder
    • meridius
      meridius
      Bronze
      Looking forward to some dummy content. :D
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      I'll do my best - it will be dumb as Paris Hilton... you know me, don't you?

Funktor

P.S.: Originaly this blog called Dummy blog with 5 dummy posts
    • meridius
      meridius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by funktor
      I'll do my best - it will be dumb as Paris Hilton... you know me, don't you?
      Of course I do... you should add some nude photos then, too.:D
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      ok, I am really depressed about money I have lost in last month... so what remained I cashed out and kept 300BB for FR play at 0.02/0.04.

Hopefully going up again will help me refresh basics and help me with the game... see you at $0.5/1 at no time... and $1/2 later on...

Funktor
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Wow funktor - bit of an extreme start to the blog!

GL with the refocus. I'm sure you'll do fine. :f_cool:
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      I played like 5k on $0.02/0.04... with +5$ ~11BB/100 it become soon boring...

But anyway... I took break... (actually had to, as I traveled to Paris to perform Quality System audit for our branch).

In mean time Party gave me ton on bonuses.

On Monday I cashed in again $250 to Party and started on $0.5/1... and have to say... wow these tables are harder than $3/6 on FT... at 8pm all tables have less that 22% plrs on flop... there is no way how this could be profitable...

So finaly switched to SH again... table selection on $0.5/1? Well in couple of minutes I see my self sitting between LAG and TAG... hmm... that would not work either... they we ripping me appart... but for first time in like 2 months I had session where I did 100BB. (I did -100BB 2 days ago, and -50BB yeasterday, thousands hands of countinous sucking). With released bonuses I am about +$230 since I cashed in (rakeback 146%).

Finally... not going to bed pissed :f_p:

• funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      And because you would not believe me that I was in Paris... I put couple of photos here as well... we auditors call this objective evidence... (you would not believe how many jokes you can do in small talk with objective evidence - don't try it, if other people are not in to quality.. you will look odd :f_o: ).

We stayed at Hilton La Defense {within CNIT building on the left}
      // we did not have hot water all time!!! Can you imagine 4* hotel manager that explains to group of guests that he is relly sorry and recommends to use kettle on room to boil hot water?

Paris from La Grande Arche {still in La Defense}

Musem of Modern Art

And this type of garden I now starting by my house... based of permaculture principles... wild and self sustaining {Park in Paris}

And finally 2 photos of Eiffel Tower

• funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Hmm... today session went prety well... but in the end screw that up... a lot of tables become super shorthanded (3-4plrs) and I lost many marginal hands... calling to SD pocket 66 on board without A after oponents CAP, etc. And many times they actualy had hand and or I was redrawed on river... e.g. AT vs A9 high when 9 hit board...

Ok and for the peak... enjoy the hand...

Play hand

$0.5/$1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with T, T.
      MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero raises, SB calls, BB folds, MP2 3-Bets, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (13 SB) T, 8, T (4 players)
      SB checks, MP2 bets, CO calls, Hero raises, SB calls, MP2 3-Bets, CO folds, Hero caps, SB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 7 (3 players)
      SB checks, MP2 bets, Hero raises, SB folds, MP2 3-Bets, Hero caps, MP2 calls.

River: (21 BB) 7 (2 players)
      MP2 bets, Hero raises, MP2 3-Bets, Hero caps, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 29 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows four of a kind, tens(T T).
      MP2 shows two pairs, queens and tens(Q Q).

Hero wins with four of a kind, tens(T T).
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Ok, I moved up to $1/2... first 3 days went well... +$250 and $50 bonus... nice, for playing like 800 hands / day...

So I sit today, tables look good. Only 1 regular, but anyway a lot of fish.... and WTF?
      It went wrong, maybe I shoudl stop little earlier... overally -$150 (or -75BB, or -30BB/100) in about 250 hands...

The biggest suckout of the day... I was creaming.... I do not remeber got like this one (well got Ks full of As to Royal flush... but this... heart breaking bad beat)

Play hand

$1/$2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, Q.
      Hero raises, MP3 folds, CO calls, BU 3-Bets, SB calls, BB folds, Hero caps, CO calls, BU calls, SB calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 4, Q, 9 (4 players)
      SB bets, Hero calls, CO raises, BU 3-Bets, SB caps, Hero calls, CO calls, BU calls.

Turn: (16.5 BB) 2 (4 players)
      SB bets, Hero raises, CO 3-Bets, BU folds, SB caps, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (28.5 BB) 4 (3 players)
      SB bets, Hero raises, CO 3-Bets, SB caps, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 40.5 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, queens full of fours(Q Q).
      SB shows four of a kind, fours(4 4).
      CO shows two pairs, nines and fours(5 9).

SB wins with four of a kind, fours(4 4).
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Ok, it's been some time since I have wrote to my blog last time... recently I have been finally clearing the $300 reload on my untracked PokerStars account... I started with $600 and up with $1610 (including $300) reload... pretty nice for 20k hands.

Today I was playing back at Party and for couple of days that went very well I hint ugly (well 90BB ;) ) swing, nothing was going... when raised QQ+ everybody folded, everytime I raised QJo I got 3-bet with K or A on flop... hmm... in the end it wasn't catastrophy...

Anyway, for next month I am going to try iPoker - $1/2. Rake is ugly, but got decent rakeback through my friend on site that does not track to pokerstrategy... anyway, with signup bonus it should garuantee 100% rakeback... later on hopefully about 60-65%...

And for todays session ... $0.5/1 FL SH

• funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      My BR hit new heigth this moth... approximately $4400... of which I have $1400 chashed out and remaining is for the game...

Today I finally started at $2/4 on FT and some $2/4 and $1/2 at Bodog Poker...

It went pretty well then I hit some ugly table where I endup -$110 ($2/4FR at Bodog)

But overally today is 0.84BB/100 on 4k hands... and +$50 and about $110 in rakeback...
      nice...

Let's see.. hopefully everyting will go fine... I'll try 50% rakeback on iPoker network, that I got through my friend... let's see how's that going...

Funktor

P.S.: I would almost forgot... many new poker book arrived in last week... so I should start them fill in in the section in the beginning of the blog.
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      ok, some short Christmas update....

Got diamond - cool :D

Swiched from $2/4SH to $2/4FR and $3/6FR.

So far game results of this month nothing spectacular. But things are getting better.
      Hopefully $3/6 will improve. The limit "hates" me and I got 2/3rds of AA and KKs I should have and as well hitting sets 1:14 ;) ).

Gameplay -$460, but approximatelly $900 in rakeback and bonuses.
    • Joshquan
      Joshquan
      Bronze
      how on earth do you get such sick rakeback? like >100%? !!!
    • Kojika
      Kojika
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Joshquan
      how on earth do you get such sick rakeback? like >100%? !!!
      I was wondering the same actually :D
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Actually I cashed out some old stored points on Party as well the promotion was running... so be honest it was not that much (as portion of the cleared bonuses shall be counted tovards previous games).

Anyway if promotion gives you additional 20-30%, and you clear old bonuses there as well you get that high number :D .

But on the other hand... I got deal with one iPoker skin for 50% rakeback in months I generate more that $1k in rake. The rake is counted from dealt basis. So if you play tight you pay less rake and your rakeback will hit 55-60%.

Unfortunately I gave in with FL HE at iPoker as there is nothing to play and even with 50% rakeback and rake 4BB/100 hands is not worth... you are doing much better at FT with rake 2BB/100 and rakeback at 27%. Hopefully when I start with PLO (just shots at PLO25(SH) now) I will be able use that deal.

On bodog last month I got 60%. Portion was reload/1st signup bonus from site (excluded addition $50 given), and additional portion was from affiliate -> anyway this number seems to be long term sustaining. Unfortunately not many games going on there...

You really need to look for opportunities how to get as much money back as possible. And avoid sites with high rake (for FL iPoker/Partypoker)...

I beat $1/2SH at 3.5BB/100. That means that on FT/Stars I am doing fine with about 1BB/100 winrate and additional 0.8BB/100 from rakeback/bonuses... or $3.2 / 100 hands...

At iPoker with 50% rakeback (iPoker is much tougher site that FT/Stars) I will do about -0.5BB/100 hands + 1.8BB/100 in rakeback -> 1.3BB/100 hands or $2.6/100 hands... and I have to wait till the end of the month see that money... no, thank you. And not even mention Party with their funny 17% at $1/2 (at least it was before the change to the system)... that would be at best even.

And I found some discusion that 60-70% is achivable on Titan/Mansion through their standard system.

December really sucks and in game results I was down like $1600. Thanks to rakebacks/bonuses I ended up even.

Funktor