Question about Silver Article "BRM for Adv Players"

• Ejeckt
      I've been reading the articles again and just noticed a line that I had not really remembered. Or, I just never paid any significance to it as I still played FR FL then.

Don't switch to short-handed play until you've reached the $0.50/$1.00 limit. That means you need at least $500 in your bankroll, but waiting until you have more can't hurt

Why is this recommended? What's really wrong with SH at lower stakes than this?
  • 6 replies
    • DarthBobo
      I don't know. I switched to SH at 0,25/0,50 and even played it lower when I had to drop down.

If I had to guess, it's that it's really easy to lose your money as a beginner in SH, and Pokerstrategy would like to make sure you have a solid understanding of poker before you try it.
    • Ejeckt
      Oh I see... so there isn't anything inherently wrong about the limit itself. They just want players to get to the skill level where it is possible to build up a BR to $500, before they attempt SH?
    • ciRith
      Hi Ejeckt,

yes this is correct. SH is pretty difficult and it's easy to lose a lot money. Beginners should have a slow start and FR is just betterfor this. :)
      (It could be a rake thing as well but I don't know how trhe rake structure is for the micro SH tables.)
    • VirtuaGod
      I don't think rake is the issue, but the amount of time you post blinds can really afecct your game. Due to the fact that there are only 6 players your non showdown winnings go really fast without a proper blind defence, which i believe is somewhat advanced. Trying to implement it myself currently...
    • Djvandal
      SHFL If you play solid FRFL and maintain similar aproach is ok however there is alot more varience in SH so you need to allow a bigger cushion
    • funktor
      For me it is very common have +-100BB swings in one session... in FLSH... yeasterady I was 70BB down in about 250 hands... every possible hand crushed...

And I see rake as an issue... if you pay 3BB/100 hands... that is terrible, and up to 4BB/100 hands at iPoker ;) on lower limits.