Hi, could really use some help!

• ac81
      ac81
      Bronze
      Hello, i recently completed the quiz and recieved my $50 bankroll and have been playing some SnG single and multi table tournaments. I've been following the instructions given but i seem to continually bust out right before the money.
      I have a seperate poker account which i opened with my own money about a month ago and have been experiencing the same issue there also. I feel i have been unlucky to a certain degree, pocket aces busted by an all in (pre flop)from K7s, set of nines called by someones pocket jacks and them running into trips, just now my AKos was called with AKs and yes you got it, they hit the flush.
      I can appreciate poker is a game of chance, but, why am i following this strategy when no one else seems to? The guide says to fold AQ if someone in earlier position has raised, by the time i've seen they're raising with lesser hands i often have missed the oppurtunity and have to shove all in with junk before the blinds kill me. I have followed the starting hand chart religiously yet the only time i seem to win a decent sized pot is when i catch some amazing flop whilst on the blind or when my stack has gotten below the 10 big blinds and and i get lucky shoving with my king high.
      Sorry for the rant, but i'm finding this incredibly frustrating, what is going wrong?
      Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • 1 reply
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey ac81

The short answer is - Welcome to Poker. Try a search on the forums for "variance" and read away.

Longer answer: the strategies in these pages involve playing appropriate strength hands in appropriate position so that in the LONG RUN you will have an edge on the strenght of hands your opponents are playing. In the short run, you will lose horribly, but even a hand that wins 80% of the time pre flop, heads up, will lose every fifth time over time... which might mean 10 times in a row.

Study articles, watch videos, post hands you're unsure of in the hand evaluation forums, come to the understanding poker requires hard work, application and the patience of a Zen Buddist monk and you'll be sweet.

GL!