[NL2-NL10] NL10 - won the minium?

• feedfest
      feedfest
      Bronze
      I feel like I got the minimum here but was afraid of the flush. Would it have been smarter to bet smaller to build the pot or good to just take it down when I did?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP1(Hero):
      $9.90
      MP2:
      $10.15
      MP3:
      $6.08
      CO:
      $2.00
      BU:
      $2.21
      SB:
      $6.00
      BB:
      $1.90
      UTG2:
      $15.83

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q, J.
      UTG2 folds, Hero calls $0.10, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.55) 8, 9, T (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, MP3 calls $0.35.

Turn: ($1.25) 5 (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.30, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: $2.55.
  • 4 replies
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      suits??

edit: Oh lol, just saw you posted this 1 minute before my post, sorry :tongue: .

About the hand:

• Preflop:
        I would fold this hand preflop from that position and definitely not limp.
      • Flop:
        I like the flop donk, because MP3 only minraised preflop. I think you can bet a bit more though. Maybe $0.45 or $0.50. There are so many hands that connect to this flop, and will continue (made hands and (combi)-draws) . If his preflop min-raise means anything at all, it's probably that he has an ace or two face-cards. Most of the hands that will fold are underpairs that will fold anyway.
      • Turn:
        I don't think you have to be afraid of the flush. There is no flush =) . You should definitely bet and bet big, but I think you bet too much here.
        Maybe this will change you're thinking a bit:
        You're protecting your strong hand against draws and that is good. But you should actually want a drawing hand to call you, instead of trying to make them fold. That is how you extract value. You just have to offer them wrong odds to call. I'd probably bet $0.90 - $1.10 here to make sure draws and other weaker hands call me.
      • River:
        If the river would complete one of the flushes, my action would be opponent-depended. But generally:
        - aggressive / bluffy opponents: check-call
        - calling stations: bet-fold
        Just because a flush-card hits doesn't mean has the flush. There are so many other hands he could have.

(I'm just training my hand analyzing skills, so wait for judge :f_cool: )
    • feedfest
      feedfest
      Bronze
      Excellent reply! I know I misplayed it slightly. I agree with your words about inducing a call with the wrong odds. I am probably too cautious/protective.

Cheers
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ka0s
      suits??

edit: Oh lol, just saw you posted this 1 minute before my post, sorry :tongue: .

About the hand:

• Preflop:
        I would fold this hand preflop from that position and definitely not limp.
      • Flop:
        I like the flop donk, because MP3 only minraised preflop. I think you can bet a bit more though. Maybe $0.45 or $0.50. There are so many hands that connect to this flop, and will continue (made hands and (combi)-draws) . If his preflop min-raise means anything at all, it's probably that he has an ace or two face-cards. Most of the hands that will fold are underpairs that will fold anyway.
      • Turn:
        I don't think you have to be afraid of the flush. There is no flush =) . You should definitely bet and bet big, but I think you bet too much here.
        Maybe this will change you're thinking a bit:
        You're protecting your strong hand against draws and that is good. But you should actually want a drawing hand to call you, instead of trying to make them fold. That is how you extract value. You just have to offer them wrong odds to call. I'd probably bet $0.90 - $1.10 here to make sure draws and other weaker hands call me.
      • River:
        If the river would complete one of the flushes, my action would be opponent-depended. But generally:
        - aggressive / bluffy opponents: check-call
        - calling stations: bet-fold
        Just because a flush-card hits doesn't mean has the flush. There are so many other hands he could have.

(I'm just training my hand analyzing skills, so wait for judge :f_cool: )
      everything you said was correct
      very nice analyze
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      niice =)