Stack
      UTG1:
      $50.90
      UTG2:
      $128.10
      Hero:
      $17.00

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:diamond: , Q:heart:
      UTG folds, UTG1 raises to $2.00, UTG2 calls $2.00, 3 folds, Hero raises to $7.00, 4 folds, UTG2 calls $5.00.

Flop: ($17.50) A:heart: , 9:heart: , 9:spade: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $10.00 (All-In), UTG2 calls $10.00.

Turn: ($37.50) K:club:
      River: ($37.50) 5:diamond: (1 players)

Final Pot: $37.50

Looking at this again, this seems like a huge mistake. Enough said.
  • 6 replies
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      The only mistake i see here is not going all in prelop since you are commited against any caller on any flop.

The flop is very nice for you and if Utg+2 has AK you'll lose your stack, but you will profit against worse aces, pocket pairs and flush draws.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      The flop is very nice for you and if Utg+2 has AK you'll lose your stack

This.

And that's why I think the move was a huge mistake. Not sure I can really expect to be ahead of UTG1's open raising range with 12% pfr, however much dead money there is.

You're right that allin pf was better, but against any decent opponent, we have no fe against a UTG raise in my experience.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Well it surely depends what are his positional stats. If you don't have them, you can maybe judge his stats with his steal range. For example if he steals a lot you can easily say that his EP stats are much tighter to compensate for that (EP6/MP9/LP19 for example). If you see him to be a passive guy, you can however suppose that his stats are more evenly spread across all positions and he's not good enough to value position correctly. Another useful information would be how is he playing PPs from early position, since if enough of them are in his range your move becomes profitable as he'll have to fold a lot.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Everything you say makes sense - thanks.
      I think in this particular case villain is too tight for this move. 12% pfr overall with 31% lp raise means a tightish e.p. raising range to compensate/balance - as you explained.

wts is very low - which speaks in favour of our having some f. eq, but overall I don't think my move is likely enough to be profitable - thanks for the helpful summary above though; good to be thinking about these things (even better if I think about them before I push... :rolleyes:
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hey ;)

Shoving pre has my favour since I play AK/99 the same way for instance.

As played, well you got TP so shove it baby :f_cool:

- Gerv
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I want Positional Stats on UTG1 here since sometimes what a player of these stats raises in UTG can vary greatly.

I guess that might be too much to ask for Elephant though :'(