What level should i be playing at?

• Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Well ive just received the $50 today by passing the test and i signed up to pokerstars. I have been playing omaha 02/05 and running pretty good. Is this level to high for me as i have a low bankroll atm or not?

any replies would be appreciated

Swire
  • 8 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello Swire,

In general I would not recommend playing Omaha with the starting capital, especially not with 10 buyins of $5. Omaha is much too swingy to play with less than 30-50 buy-ins.

There are articles on Omaha and Omaha BRM once you reach silver status - but generally we recommend a very solid BRM with Omaha since it is so swingy.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Cheers for the advice, i agree with what u say im just enjoying playing omaha atm. I will use the SSS for nl until i reach $150. Then depending on which limits i can play i will switch to omaha as i think i have an advantage over most opponents i play at omaha.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Swire
      Cheers for the advice, i agree with what u say im just enjoying playing omaha atm. I will use the SSS for nl until i reach $150. Then depending on which limits i can play i will switch to omaha as i think i have an advantage over most opponents i play at omaha.
      Most low stakes Omaha players are in fact very bad and this could well be. But especially in short-handed games it is still so swingy that I wouldn't want to play it without a decent bankroll to fall back on. I myself have experienced 25 stack up and 25 stack downswings playing Omaha and well, with just 10 stacks- even the everyday variance will decimate you :)

Best regards and good luck at the tables
      SoyCD
    • Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      Most low stakes Omaha players are in fact very bad and this could well be. But especially in short-handed games it is still so swingy that I wouldn't want to play it without a decent bankroll to fall back on. I myself have experienced 25 stack up and 25 stack downswings playing Omaha and well, with just 10 stacks- even the everyday variance will decimate you :)

Best regards and good luck at the tables
      SoyCD
      Yes the day i received my capital i got to $83 in a matter of a couple of hours. Now i have $70, but i was buying in at $2 so much lower risk of losing alot of my BR. I will take your advice into consideration, but do u have any level advice which u'd personally recommend me to play?

Thanks for any replies so far

Swire
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Well there are Omaha shortstack strategies- but I would only play them if you really know what you are doing :)

I would simply recommend any level/format in which you:

#1 Can stick to a decent BRM (so 25-50 buy-ins depending on the variance you need to deal with)
      #2 You enjoy
      #3 You are good at and willing to constantly improve at

Then just start posting hands in the hand evaluation forums, constantly work on your games, read articles, watch videos, perhaps start a blog: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1435) and take it from there.

BRM + constant learning + fun are essentially the most important factors for the beginning. The last two - mainly due to their synergy :)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Ty for your advice mate i appreciate it. So with $70 i should be playing 01/02 nl? or 25-30 buyings of SSS strategy?
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Ty for your advice mate i appreciate it. So with $70 i should be playing 01/02 nl? or 25-30 buyings of SSS strategy?
      Yes either SSS at NL10 or NL 01/02. Once you have the proper bankroll you can then start trying other things :)

Good luck!
    • Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Ty mate i appreciate your help, i will SSS nl10 as i have some experience already at that level.