woohoo :D

• undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      So yesterday my bankroll for the first time reached the 1000$ mark after 4 months and an insane amount of hands. The first two months i had lots of ups and downs , mainly ups which lasted for like 2-3 weeks and then were destroyed in 1-2 days due to a huge downswing where i would lose 2/3rds or more of my bankroll. Reasons were : I was tilting , i was playing in wrong tables , i thought i learned how to play poker while i was actually sucking , and i was playing SSS way too loose.
      Anyway after the last and worse downswing where i dropped within a week from 500 to 50$ i decided to start over from the beginning , mixing bigstack tables of nl5$ and shortstack of nl10$. So i ve been moving up slowly but surely and i ve learned to take bad beats more lightly , well i get angry of course but it has stopped affecting my play.Right now i play NL25$BSS and NL50$ SSS.
      So i hope that this is the first grand of many to follow :D
      I wanna thank the PS admins , coaches and hand evaluators for helping me to start playing and to be able to stand my ground on the micro limit tables :)
  • 14 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      wow congrats :)
    • Ligarius
      Ligarius
      Bronze
      congrats !!!
      :P

today i live my first tilt hardcore !!! expend like 800BB :(

but my number are still good

is the last time !!!
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Nice job,

but this does not come out of nowwhere. You are active in the sample hand boards and you are showing a lot of commitment.

This is just the result of your hard work.

Gratz to you and thx for your compliment
    • klonoa
      klonoa
      Bronze
      Good job man undercover :)
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Congrats on the milestone. Now that you have enough money for it I have some slightly heretical advice...

Now's the time to do some (selective) bonus whoring if you like money. The right sites through the right affiliates can provide a serious boost to your bankroll now that you can split your bankroll without leaving a comical amount at your primary site and since you're now rolled for limits where you can clear requirements fairly easily.

Obviously good poker will bring it in regardless but winnings + a little (or big!) something extra is even better and might see you reaching your next thousand sooner than you think.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by howard182
      Congrats on the milestone. Now that you have enough money for it I have some slightly heretical advice...

Now's the time to do some (selective) bonus whoring if you like money. The right sites through the right affiliates can provide a serious boost to your bankroll now that you can split your bankroll without leaving a comical amount at your primary site and since you're now rolled for limits where you can clear requirements fairly easily.

Obviously good poker will bring it in regardless but winnings + a little (or big!) something extra is even better and might see you reaching your next thousand sooner than you think.
      As you probably know i am always quite friendly to people and i will still be. So please trust me the following sentences are not ment to offend you, it is just my personal experience.

According to the hands you posted i would say that your poker knowledge on a scale between 1 and 100 (100 = the highest poker knowledge someone can achieve) is perhaps around 15 to 20.

I can say that i have quite a lot of experience as a poker player but also as an active member at poker boards.

And the next sentence is really not ment to offend you it is just what i really think: I don't think that you will ever become an avarage poker player if you are not switiching your mind completely.

Bonus whoring is destroying a poker players mind.

The problem is why i did not say something before to posts like this is the reason that it will be hard for most people to trust me, cause i am not objective. And of course i am not objective but if i would think otherwise i would perhaps just delete your post.

Additionally i don't think that this kind of post is what we deserve here.

We are doing everything that is possible to make all our members better poker players. Of course we are also earning money with it. But here are sooo many people who are putting so much effort into this page without getting an equal reward compared to normal wages.
      And do you know why we do that???

Because "We love the game"

And in general ALL that bonus stuff is a pain in the ass for poker.

Anyway coming back to the topic.

Poker is a mind game.
      The moment you stop to think how to become a better poker player, is the moment you are going to loose your money until you stop playing poker or perhaps just grinding the micro stakes.

Now you will tell me that you are not doing this you just want some little extra money.

But trust me you have access to free knowledge around here at PokerStrategy. This knowledge is so worth much more than a littke rakeback.
      Even most of the high stakes players i know dont care about bonus or stuff like this. Their main priority is to get better and better and better ... this is the only reason why they are high stakes players.

And just as a sidenote the PartyPoker promotions is the best thing you can find in the whole net.
      Don't forgett you still need tables to play on. And PartyPoker is offering the best relation between fish and bonus at the moment.

But even if they would not. Playing somewhere else is absolutly stupid. Finding a leak in your game which costs you 1BB every 100 hands is worth sooo much more.

Anyway i am a bit tired.

The truth is i am really dissapointed about such a post. We are really trying to give you a nice place to be at and what we get is the worst advice you can give a beginner.

I am not mad at you but if you think this is the best way for you - no problem for me. But when i see you giving this advice to our players (and trust me i feel responsible for them) it makes me angry...

Anyway...
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      I thought you might react like this, and it's certainly true that improving your game is far more important in the long run, but diverting just a few thousand hands (to sites similarly soft in the small stakes even) for some immediate rewards isn't going to stunt anyone's development. It's poker wherever you play and I feel that straying a little outside of your comfort zone is ultimately beneficial even.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and a little unearned bankroll growth in the micros without relaxing your focus on the game really is harmful, but we all take advantage of party's reloads, is this really so different?

I'd be delighted to find a 1BB/100 leak in my game and I'm always looking, but if I can occasionally take a 5BB/100 bonus too I think that has to be a good thing.

I have every intention of continuing to play at party and wouldn't suggest that anyone else leave it (unless they shouldn't be playing at all), nor would I suggest that learning is ever unimportant to a player of any experience level, especially a beginner like I or like undercover.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      I thought you might react like this, and it's certainly true that improving your game is far more important in the long run, but diverting just a few thousand hands (to sites similarly soft in the small stakes even) for some immediate rewards isn't going to stunt anyone's development. It's poker wherever you play and I feel that straying a little outside of your comfort zone is ultimately beneficial even.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and a little unearned bankroll growth in the micros without relaxing your focus on the game really is harmful, but we all take advantage of party's reloads, is this really so different?

I'd be delighted to find a 1BB/100 leak in my game and I'm always looking, but if I can occasionally take a 5BB/100 bonus too I think that has to be a good thing.
      Trust me it is the whole way of thinking that will change your game.

I experienced the same some time ago.

Althoug it may sound strange but it is in your subconscious mind.

You can compare this to someone who is doing sports. Even there you can sometimes see that money destroys the development of athlets. But thats not what i wanted to say.
      Imagine Kobe Bryant would reduce his training down to %50. Do you think he will get better or do you think he will get worse. The same happens to normal people doing sports in their country club.

And with poker it is the same.

The game changes all the time. Moves that have been profitable yesterday are -EV tomorrow.

It is all about your whole attitude.

But you see, you can do whatever you want to. If you want my advise of course ill give it to you.

But please dont give the wrong advise to new players.

You probably saw our news that we will work together with new sites. Do you know what we could easily implement the same (bonus whoring) stuff without the blink of an eye. But we will not do that.

We see a potential high roller in every registration. And we are trying to get the best out of everybody reaching the highest limit. If i would think you should focus on stuff like this, i would tell ya.

Do you know why we only have a high roller promotion. This is not because we can not give away money for beginners. It is just because we dont want you to focus on that because it will definitely destroy your game.

So please just do me a favor, don't give this advice to other players...

Because it is just the wrong path.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I only whored once for a bonus on a different site.

I thought... it was a time whre FL wasn't that funny anymore and I tried SnGs and NL and clearing the bonus at the same time...

After I tried those two different gametypes I still didn't had the bonus cleared and was bored from these two styles but I went on to clear a 150$ bonus. I needed 3 weeks for it and in the meantime I could have made 500$ on my main page on my old limit....

it was a good experience but it costs to much for me.

Now I can make 300$+ on party each weeks only because I climped up the ladders.

If I go now for a bonus I need software to mine the limits for weak players, I need software for searching them and I need to get a feeling for the different players (on my limit there aren't so many different players and having notes on lot of them is very very nice)
      If I play on a lower limit I may not need this because most of the players are weaker but then I lose again money because I play on a lower limits (sound logical or?)

I put much time into the english forum because I enjoy it and I can improve myself. I get no payments and reading your post is a bit disappoiointing I think you can understand it :)

My english is to bad for writing such long essays so I hope you don't understand any passage wrong or something like that :)
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Okay, I'll not mention it again until I'm beating NL2k and it clearly hasn't hurt me ;)

Sorry to have inadvertently raised your blood pressure, I do try to avoid giving harmful advice in any area and if I feel that it's potentially so try to emphasise moderation, but I'm very poor at expressing myself clearly so it usually ends up like this. Even if it could be concluded that seeking out a few bonuses isn't harmful, obsessing over them and seeking even marginal ones certainly is. It took $135 for 1000 hands of NL50 to get me to try one.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Okay, I'll not mention it again until I'm beating NL2k and it clearly hasn't hurt me ;)
      if you ply on these limits I hink you won't chaneg the page for 100$ ;) (your rakeback through promotion alone will be higher ^^)

Sorry to have inadvertently raised your blood pressure, I do try to avoid giving harmful advice in any area and if I feel that it's potentially so try to emphasise moderation, but I'm very poor at expressing myself clearly so it usually ends up like this. Even if it could be concluded that seeking out a few bonuses isn't harmful, obsessing over them and seeking even marginal ones certainly is. It took $135 for 1000 hands of NL50 to get me to try one.
      on party its easy to clear a bonus (but why mentioning this.. we play alread yon pp and take it ^^)

on nearly all other pages its much harder and nearly impossible on the micro limits (or very time consuming like I discribed above)
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith
      if you ply on these limits I hink you won't chaneg the page for 100$ ;) (your rakeback through promotion alone will be higher ^^)
      Indeed not, I'm just doing a few select ones temporarily while I'm still playing limits where it's significant. What I meant was is that if it's so bad for me I shouldn't ever get there.

on party its easy to clear a bonus (but why mentioning this.. we play alread yon pp and take it ^^)

on nearly all other pages its much harder and nearly impossible on the micro limits (or very time consuming like I discribed above)
      Of course, the typical bonus is completely worthless and worse than that you're likely to see tougher (or at least tighter) games so it's a -EV proposition in all respects.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      wow , some tension ;) . If i understand correctly the thing is that by chasing bonuses you lose focus on your main goal which is to become a better poker player?
      I d say im satisfied enough with the promotions from partypoker (of course i haven't ever had the chance to compare it to another site :P ) , but the only problem is that as the limits rise , it gets increasingly difficult to find FR games. For example right now i see on the table tab only 3 FR tables of nl200. So if i ever reach that limit as a shortstack i will have trouble with the constant table switching and all.
      So i really really hope for some SH content soon on PS :D
    • Zidandrej
      Zidandrej
      Bronze
      nice job!