[NL20-NL50] NL25 FR, AA minraise on flop

• jenoc
      Villain 31/14 AF=2.1 FlopAF=2.7 (aggfreq=32%) Fold to cbet=48% raiseCbet=28% WtSD=29% on 1.4k hands

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.25(BB) Replayer
      BB ($3.65)
      Hero ($25)
      UTG ($30.32)
      UTG+1 ($4.95)
      UTG+2 ($5.55)
      CO ($31.98)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: A:diamond:

Hero raises to $1, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $1, fold

FLOP ($2.25) 8:heart: 5:heart: 3:spade:

Hero bets $1.70, CO raises to $3.75, Hero raises to $24 (AI), CO folds

What's the best play here on flop? IMO board is drawy + villain seems enough agressive to raise with draws, so folding or calling is out of question. If I raise here to something like 13-14$ I would have 9-10$ left and must shove any turn, but there are loads of cards I don't want to see on turn. However shoving flop isn't kinda overbetting and thus isolating usually against better hands?
  • 3 replies
    • Gerv
      I think shoving as a 3bet is a bit polarizing yourself against better hands

Therefore I like to call and bet the Turn myself.

You can call Flop, c/c Turn & River but I think you need to protect something actively.

Other line is to raise it to $9 or 10 flop but then again i think you are WA//WB
    • jenoc
      Originally posted by Gerv

Therefore I like to call and bet the Turn myself.

Gerv, I need to admit that I never use such line. I thought this is kinda strange looking and makes no sense. Can you, please, explain a bit more? It's something like protection mixed with idea getting value from weaker made hands that aren't calling shove?
    • MaestroOfZerg

28% raise cbet over 1.4k hands is really high, imo he has there air almost as always as sets/flushdraws. For that reason i think 3betting smallish hoping he shoves whatever he has over it is a viable line out of position.

Calling is also ok since most people will tell you, by betting the turn or not, whether they have you smoked or they are drawing (in which case they're most likely taking the free river), so i usually check it and see what happens. Here since he's gonna show up with air on the flop when he raises and you have no idea whether he'll follow up with it or not, you're guessing a bit more when you take that line.

Donking the turn without an idea of what he'll do in response is also guessing, but for more money. Ideally that will get him to fold or call with his draws, but he might flat with sets or shove his draws/air, so against aggro players you're still guessing, except it's for more money.

Hope it helps.