The starting capital grind @ Party Poker

• amea
      So having got my second starting capital from poker strategy I've decided to give it a go and try and turn it into something.

I've been play poker for a few years now and prob became a winning player about a year and a half ago, a mix of live and online.
      I won about $2500 online in oct/november last year, mainly in MTTs.
      This helped pay for a skiing holiday to colorado, during which time i played very little poker apart from the weekly freeroll at the bar. My friends and I from about 5 attempts had 2 wins a second and a third between us. Which worked out to be about $100 in dinner vouchers, tuesday night happened to be 33c wing night so well thats about 300 wings winnings. Aside from that no poker was played, I did however use the down time at my job behind a desk to read poker books.
      Mike Caro - Book of poker tells (A must for anyone aspiring to play live)
      David Sklansky - Theory of poker
      Doyle Brunson - Super System
      Harrington on Hold em - Vol I and half of Vol II
      Frank Wallace - Poker - A Guarenteed Income for Life

When I came back I felt very good about my live tourney and cash game. My online game was solid especially SnGs and ICM, however it still needed work.
      I deposited a few hundred onto pokerstars having been at tilt and 888 mainly before. Stars was great for SnGs, so many tables any time of day. Being a student in Australia any time of day is great importance. Online I've managed to win a $100 or so a week enough for beer money cashing out reguarly grinding $3 and $6 turbos 8-12 tables. Also gambled some winnings learning PLO, PLO8 and 7-2 lowball. Which resulted in aroudn -$400 but well worth the experience.
      Also played in the SCOOP in a few of the lower buy-ins and unfortunately bubble in 2 of them to horrid beats AA & KK all-in pre with 50BB to suited connectors, sucks to play so well for so long and then die to idiots. Looking forward to running better in WCOOP.
      After 4-5 months of the SnG grind and concentrating more on my studies, PS told me I could get another $50.

Having heard all the brilliant stories of people turning this into a real BR, I figure being a winning player I should be able to as well. Anyway so it took me a month to grind out the $50 playing $1 SnGs (400ish) for which I am only slightly ahead I tried some $3 but with such high rake the varience killed my small $90 roll. So I then played some NL25, giving up on bankroll management. As you can imagine that attitude got me no where and I crashed quickly to $20.
      I showed a friend PS and told him to have a go at learning online poker. We have both played computer games together for as long as I can remember and think its very easy to apply those skills to online poker. Having someone who was learning it all again gave me inspiration to continue my challenge and return to bankroll management and strive towards the stars... Well the party now :)

Having my bankroll fall to $6, I had to cut down to 4 tables. I've manage to grind back up to $22 playing the $1 SnGs and some 1c/2cNL SSS and this is where the journey shall begin again. Also have 653 party points.

BTW i just reformatted my computer and didnt think to back up Party Database so here are the charts as they stand now only a day of play.

• 8 replies
    • videoguy
      good luck on your quest
      don't get flimsy with bankroll management :D
    • amea
      So having played a couple of hours this arvo, whilst playing around with my PT hud I happened to time out... I still came 3rd but what could have been, HAHAHA

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, 1 Tournament, 200/400 Blinds (7 handed) - Party-Poker Converter Tool from

Button (t3700)
      MP2 (t940)
      UTG (t3330)
      Hero (MP1) (t2500)
      CO (t2880)
      SB (t5370)
      BB (t1280)

Hero's M: 4.17

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K, K
      UTG calls t400, 1 fold, MP2 bets t800, CO calls t800, 2 folds, BB raises to t1280 (All-In), UTG raises to t3330 (All-In), MP2 calls t140 (All-In), CO calls t2080 (All-In)

Flop: (t8630) 9, 8, J (4 players, 4 all-in)

Turn: (t8630) J (4 players, 4 all-in)

River: (t8630) 4 (4 players, 4 all-in)

Total pot: t8630
      Main pot: t3960 between MP2, UTG, CO and BB, won by BB
      Side pot 1: t1020 between UTG, CO and BB, won by BB
      Side pot 2: t3200 between UTG and CO, won by UTG
      Side pot 3: t450 won by UTG

BB had 6, 9 (two pair, Jacks and nines).
      UTG had Q, A (one pair, Jacks).
      MP2 had Q, A (one pair, Jacks).
      CO had Q, K (one pair, Jacks).
      Outcome: BB won t4980, UTG won t3650

Lesson timing out with KK is definately -EV!
    • 1wayman
      U are actually playing PP micro buyins SNG's? I am not sure they can be profitable as rake is more than 20%, i hope u do realize that.
    • amea
      Currently i'm running about 5% roi on them playing 16 tables over 500 games, playing with little effrot/concentration. The problem will be whether I can be profitable on the $3 or have to wait till the $6.
      Which is less in $/ph than SSS however it is a lot more party points, which means I will grind out a $25 bonus faster as well.
      So whilst SSS works out at $3/ph atm $1 SnGs work out to be $1.50/ph + PPPs.
      So think think with the bonus situation they work out about the same atm, however being able to play SnGs whilst watch videos/reading books/website is a big plus for me.

is a
    • amea
      So after having no internet last week and this week being swamped with exams I've hardly had a chance to play. However I did get the referal bonus from PS deposited into my account. Also played a $6 SnG by accident when trying to work out the rake and forgetting I had auto buy-in to SnG still on, I did however manage to win it. So those two things combined the bankroll is up to $104 now. I am SSS on NL10 now, so after some assignments and tests at uni this week I'll knuckle down and grind out a couple more bonus. However dont think I'll return to SnGs on party until i can afford the $11 as 20% rake at their supposed $6 game I figure will be to hard to beat.
      Anyway will have so new graphs and stats up soon.
    • amea
      So having my first grinding session in a while, I realised that there was less than a week to clear a bonus. So I did a few hundred hands on ICM and then went to grind some SnGs. Lets just say I ran badly not my worst downswing have run -$300 on stars once at $6 level needless to say i won it all back the next week. However this was $1 and around 25games, slightly frsutrating as u can see I won a little back on the 3rd set...

In between the sets I played frustrated, never a good idea...
      I played a couple of 6max .2/.4NL5 BSS last night but that was witha clear head, there is a clear difference in performance for todays few hundred hands compared to last night...

Then I went back for some SSS NL2 & NL10, grinding. NL2 just so I can get 16 tables going, as table selection on NL10 seems limited. Its slow progress as you can see.

So after playing for a bit last night and getting the BR up to $110 i've had a -$21 day...
      Still with a bonus 15% away from completion and another grinding session soon it should bounce back over $100 and start climbing towards $150 ASAP. Allowing me to start working on some more 6max NL5.
      Just out of interest, in terms of building/clearing bonus would it be better to keep SSS NL10 or BSS NL2? Opinions welcome :)
    • amea
      So having nearly given up on NL10 SSS on party due to the difficulty finding suitable tables and then running badly and doing my best to avoid tilt....

I decided to move to NL5 6max BSS, find perfect position on a donkey I waited and found a couple of good spots but again the joys of poker continued...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (5 handed) - Party-Poker Converter Tool from

BB ($5.80)
      Hero (SB) ($10.37)
      MP ($5)
      Button ($3.33)
      UTG ($3.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7, 7
      2 folds, Button calls $0.04, Hero bets $0.14, BB calls $0.12, Button calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.48) A, 4, 7 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.23, Button calls $0.23, Hero raises to $10.21 (All-In), 1 fold, Button calls $2.94 (All-In)

Turn: ($7.05) 8 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($7.05) 10 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $7.05

Button had J, 5 (flush, Jack high).
      Hero had 7, 7 (three of a kind, sevens).
      Outcome: Button won $6.70

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (5 handed) - Party-Poker Converter Tool from

MP ($5.66)
      Button ($5.98)
      Hero (UTG) ($9.85)
      BB ($2.20)
      SB ($15.10)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8, K
      Hero bets $0.16, 3 folds, BB calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.34) 8, 5, 4 (2 players)
      BB raises to $2.04 (All-In), Hero calls $2.04

Turn: ($4.42) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($4.42) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $4.42

BB had 6, 3 (straight, six high).
      Hero had 8, K (two pair, eights and fives).
      Outcome: BB won $4.20

And then after those two I got stuck in the middle of this monster,

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (6 handed) - Party-Poker Converter Tool from

CO ($3.24)
      MP ($5.14)
      SB ($4.99)
      Hero (Button) ($5.77)
      BB ($5.10)
      UTG ($5)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, K
      UTG (poster) checks, 1 fold, CO calls $0.04, Hero bets $0.20, 1 fold, BB calls $0.16, 1 fold, CO calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.66) J, 9, 8 (3 players)
      BB checks, CO checks, Hero bets $0.47, BB calls $0.47, CO calls $0.47

Turn: ($2.07) 10 (3 players)
      BB checks, CO raises to $2.57 (All-In), Hero calls $2.57, BB calls $2.57

River: ($9.78) A (3 players, 1 all-in)
      BB raises to $1.86 (All-In), Hero calls $1.86

Total pot: $13.50

Hero had K, K (flush, Ace high).
      BB had K, Q (straight flush, Queen high).
      CO didn't show
      Outcome: BB won $12.83

Wondering if anyone would fold the river there? I did figure he had to have the straight-flush by shoving in that spot but as he was new to the table and the donkey on my left had me commited to the pot I couldnt let go of it.

Anyway so after all that I moved to NL2 back where I started about a month ago with the $6 remaining in my account but this time BSS and as you can see the win rate has increased significantly.

So hopefully I can get some good tables this weekend on NL10 and make a come back if not it'll be NL2 BSS and aiming to climb towards $150, I may also throw in some SNGs to help get some points for the cash machine promotion.
      Anyway as you can tell I'm becoming frustrated by my slow progress at this stage. However I also havent been putting in any long sessions so I really shouldnt be trying to rush it.
    • amea
      Havent played much due to uni taking over my life however tried managed to put in a few of hour or two long sessions. Have the bank roll up to $144 no which is nearly enough to move up to NL5 which would hopefully see faster profits. Been good challenge for me to not lose control and gambling it all away on tilt.

Feel pretty good at NL2 now 16 tabling while watching movies/TV. So looking forward to getting NL5 down pat. Its been an interesting learning experience learning online cash, as previously i was primarily SnG/Tourney Live cash player.

Unfortunately the way i've been playing havent noticed any interesting hands to discuss but planning to head back to NL5 6-Max soon which should bring some more interesting situations. Anyway here's the graph of how things have gone in the last week and a bit.