This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Newcomer SnG/SSS question

• Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      Hey all,
      Im just about to start playing on FT, got my starting 50$ in this week and I was wondering what to play, SnG or Cash table, somehow SnG seems easier, (surviving isnt that hard for me, then leaving a table if I am 5 blind higher then my buyin) but it must just my illusion. I was playing mostly cash games ( max NL10 ) and freerolls alot. What disturb me a bit, why does the 1$ buyin SnG has 25cent rake? Isn't that a bit too much ? And the 2.4$ has the same rake. What would you start in my place, NL10 2$ buyin cash table or 1$ sng? I know this question might be dumb, and you will say "Play the one your better at" but still, any advice will be helpful. I admire pokerstrategy for all the info and help provided here, u guys are HUGE.
      Regards
  • 7 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Before you play anything, put some real hard study in, obviously you will need to pratice but I would do 70% learning 30% playing.

Also I would deposit some more money because I really strongly recommend having 100 buy ins for what ever you play.

I have had success with SSS but it really is a grind, you will need to put in a good 10,000 to 30,000 hands a month this is due to the very swingy nature of SSS

I now play sng's so if you need help in that area I have a good knowlege of them and how to beat them, I have beaten the $1 ones even with the larger rake. Im currently Playing the $11-$33 Turbo's with a big ROI.

If you are serious about playing poker which I am asuming you are as you have joined PS then please have a good think about what I have said
    • Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      Thanks for your fast reply. Learning is key to improve I know, just where to start it. Just before I played on FT NL2, very sad hands.

vp$ip BBvsSteal ORL RaisePreflop
      Position: Stack
      AF W$SD WTS hands
      32 - - 0
      BB: $6.49
      1.3 0 25 28

Hero: $1.40

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, Q (Comment)
      Hero raises to $0.08, 4 folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.17) T, J, 9 (2 players) (Comment)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.04, BB calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.25) J (2 players) (Comment)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.10, BB raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.20.

River: ($1.05) J (2 players) (Comment)
      BB bets $0.88, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.05

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BB shows four of a kind, jacks (Ac Js)

BB wins with four of a kind, jacks (Ac Js)

What did I do wrong here..? I checked the chances, 2-3% for him at flop to win.
      Then this hand came:

AF W$SD WTS hands

Hero: $0.77

39 - 0 4
      BB: $1.89
      1.5 33 30 28
      67 100 0 13
      MP2: $4.00
      0.7 43 44 24
      48 - - 24
      MP3: $8.34
      2.0 67 33 21
      32 - - 0
      BU: $6.18
      1.3 0 25 28

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with T, A (Comment)
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.14, MP3 calls $0.14, CO folds, BU calls $0.14, Hero calls $0.13, BB calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.70) 7, 4, T (5 players) (Comment)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 bets $0.70, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.63 (All-In), BB folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($1.96) 8 (Comment)
      River: ($1.96) 3 (1 players) (Comment)

Final Pot: $1.96

Hero shows a pair of tens (Tc As)
      MP2 shows a flush, jack high (Ah Jd)

MP2 wins with a flush, jack high (Ah Jd)

(Comment)

I got very sick and angry here and just some hands after this.. (vs the same guy)

Known players: (?)
      AF W$SD WTS hands
      67 100 0 13
      MP2: $4.80
      0.7 43 44 24
      83 - 0 0
      MP3: $1.31
      1.0 - 0 06
      32 - - 0
      CO: $6.00
      1.3 0 25 28

Hero: $1.07

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, K (Comment)
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.18, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.47) Q, J, Q (3 players) (Comment)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.47, MP2 calls $0.47.

Turn: ($1.41) 9 (2 players) (Comment)
      MP2 bets $1.41, Hero calls $0.40 (All-In), MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($2.21) 9 (1 players) (Comment)

Final Pot: $2.21

Hero shows two pairs, queens and nines (Ac Kh)
      MP2 shows a full-house, queens full of nines (Kc Qs)

MP2 wins with a full-house, queens full of nines (Kc Qs)

I was on tillt? maybe. but the 1st and 2nd hand was just very sad. Tho, I'm thinking serious about poker, but I dont know where to start learning. For beginning if you could help me, I can't install different deck layout for Fulltillt, as I follow the description, the directory doesnt exist. Then, this elephant is not really showing the same thing as the presentation of it on the site, I see only about 3 things in it. What else..can you use the Equilator to run realtime while you play ? To see your chances with the cards ? Also about the odds, I've read it some times, but it seemed to easy and I have doubts in it.
      Tell me please if this is correct:
      I hold AK, flop is JQ. chances for 10 to come is 4x2x2=16% ? Is this right? I've read this on FT somewhere. Either right or false, can you explain me why?
      Ur really helpful, thanks again.
    • lenka12345
      lenka12345
      Bronze
      Play or 2.25 SnG or NL10 SSS
    • Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      Shouldnt I play 1$ sng untill 100$ bankroll ? I just played 2 sng now (1$) both times 2nd, somehow the last hands i just have no card at all, and when I have its the 2nd best only. When you are in the final 1vs1, and you both has same chips, when do you go all in preflop? as I saw in the ICM trainer, it says any pair, K7o and all these cards which I dont understand how can they go all in for.
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Just stick to $1 buy ins until you have $100, or just put in the extra $50 and start with them straight away, but I wouldn't recommend that until you are fully confident in your game, and read up if you haven't already, I found this free ebook quite useful when I first started -

http://www.freepokerebook.co.uk/free_poker_ebook.zip

Has all the basic knowledge and some slightly advanced stuff, but it's an easy read, I'm starting to develop strategies around the information in this book as I play more.
    • Wizard101
      Wizard101
      Bronze
      i would go with 0.5/0.10 cash games over $1 sng's, partly because of the rake, but also because its quicker and easier to build a steady roll on cash games playing sss. Don't get me wrong sss is high variance, but sng's imo are higher.
    • Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      Thanks for the link, I will read it.
      I signed up for 3-4 sng right after my last post. All ended in loosing with 1place before I get in the money. I lost with my flush vs full, with my full vs poker. So gay flops and rivers, its just a nightmare. Sng is ok, I like the style of it, but you need so many bluffs, in the right time, and guessing the right time is nothing more then luck imo. Dont get me wrong, I know the difference between skill and luck, but when ur luck dies for 3-4 tables in a row, you must stop I guess, or at least, play lower blind/rake. anyone here can help me how to put a different deck and table layout ? and one last thing, what do you do when you lose with a 95%++ chance to win card in ur hand? I used to get mad, angry and I just cant stop it for like 10-20minutes. This way I need to stop poker too many times, and I just recently stopped smoking (a week ago), and I feel like dying to smoke one after each loss... thanks for the replies guys.