Newcomer SnG/SSS question

• Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      Hey all,
      Im just about to start playing on FT, got my starting 50$ in this week and I was wondering what to play, SnG or Cash table, somehow SnG seems easier, (surviving isnt that hard for me, then leaving a table if I am 5 blind higher then my buyin) but it must just my illusion. I was playing mostly cash games ( max NL10 ) and freerolls alot. What disturb me a bit, why does the 1$ buyin SnG has 25cent rake? Isn't that a bit too much ? And the 2.4$ has the same rake. What would you start in my place, NL10 2$ buyin cash table or 1$ sng? I know this question might be dumb, and you will say "Play the one your better at" but still, any advice will be helpful. I admire pokerstrategy for all the info and help provided here, u guys are HUGE.
      Regards
  • 7 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Before you play anything, put some real hard study in, obviously you will need to pratice but I would do 70% learning 30% playing.

Also I would deposit some more money because I really strongly recommend having 100 buy ins for what ever you play.

I have had success with SSS but it really is a grind, you will need to put in a good 10,000 to 30,000 hands a month this is due to the very swingy nature of SSS

I now play sng's so if you need help in that area I have a good knowlege of them and how to beat them, I have beaten the $1 ones even with the larger rake. Im currently Playing the $11-$33 Turbo's with a big ROI.

If you are serious about playing poker which I am asuming you are as you have joined PS then please have a good think about what I have said
    • Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      Thanks for your fast reply. Learning is key to improve I know, just where to start it. Just before I played on FT NL2, very sad hands.

vp$ip BBvsSteal ORL RaisePreflop
      Position: Stack
      AF W$SD WTS hands
      32 - - 0
      BB: $6.49
      1.3 0 25 28

Hero: $1.40

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, Q (Comment)
      Hero raises to $0.08, 4 folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.17) T, J, 9 (2 players) (Comment)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.04, BB calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.25) J (2 players) (Comment)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.10, BB raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.20.

River: ($1.05) J (2 players) (Comment)
      BB bets $0.88, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.05

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BB shows four of a kind, jacks (Ac Js)

BB wins with four of a kind, jacks (Ac Js)

What did I do wrong here..? I checked the chances, 2-3% for him at flop to win.
      Then this hand came:

AF W$SD WTS hands

Hero: $0.77

39 - 0 4
      BB: $1.89
      1.5 33 30 28
      67 100 0 13
      MP2: $4.00
      0.7 43 44 24
      48 - - 24
      MP3: $8.34
      2.0 67 33 21
      32 - - 0
      BU: $6.18
      1.3 0 25 28

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by http://www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with T, A (Comment)
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.14, MP3 calls $0.14, CO folds, BU calls $0.14, Hero calls $0.13, BB calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.70) 7, 4, T (5 players) (Comment)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 bets $0.70, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.63 (All-In), BB folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($1.96) 8 (Comment)
      River: ($1.96) 3 (1 players) (Comment)

Final Pot: $1.96

Hero shows a pair of tens (Tc As)
      MP2 shows a flush, jack high (Ah Jd)

MP2 wins with a flush, jack high (Ah Jd)

(Comment)

I got very sick and angry here and just some hands after this.. (vs the same guy)

Known players: (?)
      AF W$SD WTS hands
      67 100 0 13
      MP2: $4.80
      0.7 43 44 24
      83 - 0 0
      MP3: $1.31
      1.0 - 0 06
      32 - - 0
      CO: $6.00
      1.3 0 25 28

Hero: $1.07

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, K (Comment)
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.18, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.47) Q, J, Q (3 players) (Comment)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.47, MP2 calls $0.47.

Turn: ($1.41) 9 (2 players) (Comment)
      MP2 bets $1.41, Hero calls $0.40 (All-In), MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

River: ($2.21) 9 (1 players) (Comment)

Final Pot: $2.21

Hero shows two pairs, queens and nines (Ac Kh)
      MP2 shows a full-house, queens full of nines (Kc Qs)

MP2 wins with a full-house, queens full of nines (Kc Qs)

I was on tillt? maybe. but the 1st and 2nd hand was just very sad. Tho, I'm thinking serious about poker, but I dont know where to start learning. For beginning if you could help me, I can't install different deck layout for Fulltillt, as I follow the description, the directory doesnt exist. Then, this elephant is not really showing the same thing as the presentation of it on the site, I see only about 3 things in it. What else..can you use the Equilator to run realtime while you play ? To see your chances with the cards ? Also about the odds, I've read it some times, but it seemed to easy and I have doubts in it.
      Tell me please if this is correct:
      I hold AK, flop is JQ. chances for 10 to come is 4x2x2=16% ? Is this right? I've read this on FT somewhere. Either right or false, can you explain me why?
      Ur really helpful, thanks again.
    • lenka12345
      lenka12345
      Bronze
      Play or 2.25 SnG or NL10 SSS
    • Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      Shouldnt I play 1$ sng untill 100$ bankroll ? I just played 2 sng now (1$) both times 2nd, somehow the last hands i just have no card at all, and when I have its the 2nd best only. When you are in the final 1vs1, and you both has same chips, when do you go all in preflop? as I saw in the ICM trainer, it says any pair, K7o and all these cards which I dont understand how can they go all in for.
    • sketchzr
      sketchzr
      Bronze
      Just stick to $1 buy ins until you have $100, or just put in the extra $50 and start with them straight away, but I wouldn't recommend that until you are fully confident in your game, and read up if you haven't already, I found this free ebook quite useful when I first started -

http://www.freepokerebook.co.uk/free_poker_ebook.zip

Has all the basic knowledge and some slightly advanced stuff, but it's an easy read, I'm starting to develop strategies around the information in this book as I play more.
    • Wizard101
      Wizard101
      Bronze
      i would go with 0.5/0.10 cash games over $1 sng's, partly because of the rake, but also because its quicker and easier to build a steady roll on cash games playing sss. Don't get me wrong sss is high variance, but sng's imo are higher.
    • Lizocain
      Lizocain
      Bronze
      Thanks for the link, I will read it.
      I signed up for 3-4 sng right after my last post. All ended in loosing with 1place before I get in the money. I lost with my flush vs full, with my full vs poker. So gay flops and rivers, its just a nightmare. Sng is ok, I like the style of it, but you need so many bluffs, in the right time, and guessing the right time is nothing more then luck imo. Dont get me wrong, I know the difference between skill and luck, but when ur luck dies for 3-4 tables in a row, you must stop I guess, or at least, play lower blind/rake. anyone here can help me how to put a different deck and table layout ? and one last thing, what do you do when you lose with a 95%++ chance to win card in ur hand? I used to get mad, angry and I just cant stop it for like 10-20minutes. This way I need to stop poker too many times, and I just recently stopped smoking (a week ago), and I feel like dying to smoke one after each loss... thanks for the replies guys.