[NL2-NL10] AJ NL25 nice luck or bad play?

• Zyklox
      Zyklox
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($17.55)
      Button ($11.45)
      Hero (SB) ($4.75)
      BB ($5)
      UTG ($23.35)
      UTG+1 ($4.65)
      MP1 ($24.35)
      MP2 ($26.70)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, A
      6 folds, Hero bets $1, BB raises to $5 (All-In), Hero calls $3.75 (All-In)

Flop: ($9.50) 2, 5, A (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: ($9.50) Q (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($9.50) 4 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $9.50 | Rake: $0.45

Results:
      Hero had J, A (one pair, Aces).
      BB had K, Q (one pair, Queens).
      Outcome: Hero won $9.05

The reson for my play: Everybody folds to me, i bet 4 BB with AJ, a very good hand in late position. He raises me all in, and normally i would fold, but as this really looked like a re-steal i called. I was right and my hand held up! In worst case scenario he would have low pocket pair.

Happy for any replies!
  • 9 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      In worst case scenario he would have low pocket pair.

How do you conclude this?
      What about AQ or AK? Or JJ or QQ or KK or AA?

but as this really looked like a re-steal

What makes you say this? Wouldn't he make the same play with any other hand that has you beat?
      Do you have either stats or reads to support your line of thinking?

I don't think your move was necessarily a mistake because you are indeed often ahead of BB's resteal range but I don't think your conclusion is correct.
    • redindian77
      redindian77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zyklox

The reson for my play: Everybody folds to me, i bet 4 BB with AJ, a very good hand in late position. He raises me all in, and normally i would fold, but as this really looked like a re-steal i called. I was right and my hand held up! In worst case scenario he would have low pocket pair.

Hi Zykolx,

First of all Tim is very much right, calling a resteal without any stats or reads is -EV. You're very much taking a gamble and one which won't pay off for the following reasons:

1) If you've been playing on this table for a few hands then your table image will be super tight. Therefore unless villain is a fish (which we can't be sure of) he'll have you beat a lot of the time.

2) Your hand isn't as good as you might think. AJ+ and pocket pairs (which fish also love restealing with) will dominate your hand and won't give you the neccesary 40% equity which you need to call.

Without stat/reads I would call here with AQ+/99+. Naturally I would also make a note of this opponent's play for the future.

p.s. Please don't post the hand results as it will have a detrimental effect of the manner in which your hand is judged

Regards
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Do you guys really fold AJ preflop in blind battles?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Do you guys really fold AJ preflop in blind battles?

No. Certainly not; at least not without good reads. The purpose of my post was simply to question OP's reasoning for the move he makes.

If villain had had AA, OP wouldn't have been able to say "this really looked like a re-steal". And it's sensible to question people's rational for the plays they make.
    • redindian77
      redindian77
      Bronze
      Ok what's a good calling range here (assuming no reads/stats) ?
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Easy bet/call vs unknown imo.
    • Aimboy
      Aimboy
      Bronze
      Easy call.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Zyklox,

standard restealing range is AJ+/88+ and calling the same range against a resteal is almost never a mistake when you play against unknown, however if you want to be even more on the safe side then use AQ+/99+ for calling resteals because on lower limits some players don't resteal and only reraise their standard reraising range, but AJ+/88+ should be fine.

@Tim64: Of course BB is restealing, he is reraising SB openraise and it doesn't matter what his range is. :)

Regards,
      burek2000
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Of course BB is restealing, he is reraising SB openraise and it doesn't matter what his range is.

Well this is linguistic point, really. I know that technically this is a re-steal. But OP says "but as this really looked like a re-steal i called". Well, it can't 'look' like a resteal if it already is one by definition.

So what I understood OP to mean was that something made him suspect that this was a bluff resteal (that is what he implied, imo) and it was that assumption or statement that I mean to query. :P