[NL2-NL10] NL 5 blowing my mind

• feedfest
      feedfest
      Bronze
      I knew this guy didn't have an overpair but I never thought of K,4. How can you possibly play against people that play these hands?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $1.52
      MP3:
      $3.52
      CO:
      $2.63
      BU:
      $2.05
      SB:
      $0.95
      BB:
      $14.68
      UTG1:
      $4.16
      UTG2:
      $4.95
      MP1(Hero):
      $4.44

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9, 9.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 5 folds, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.42) 4, 8, 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.48, BB raises to $1.20, Hero raises to $3.76, BB calls $3.04.

Turn: ($8.9) 7 (2 players)

River: ($8.9) 2 (2 players)

Final Pot: $8.9.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, nines and fours(9 9).
      BB shows three of a kind, fours(K 4).

BB wins with three of a kind, fours(K 4).

This guy had a VPIP of 68 and PFR of 6%
  • 5 replies
    • jxb1977
      jxb1977
      Bronze
      I feel for you because calling a raise with K4o is pretty shocking and i am also struggling with how to play over pairs to the board when my opponent shows strength.

My question about your play would be why did you raise with 99's from middle position? The villan is loose-passive before the flop so he is unlikely to raise and if he does you have position and would most likely be getting the odds to call considering the stack sizes. Also how was his play on the flop prior to this? If he was passive then his re-raise on the flop show quite a bit of strength. I would happily call you pre-flop with 44's or 88's given the stack sizes.

I know its easy to think about these things after the event, as i'm finding out myself!!
      Good luck and i hope he pays you off a monster hand soon!! :f_biggrin:
    • feedfest
      feedfest
      Bronze
      I had seen him show down with 8 high after making/calling large bets
      he didn't seem to need a strong hand to throw his money away and had re-bought a few times.
      Against most people I wouldn't go broke there but I figured he had a crap hand based on what he'd been showing down with.
      As for teh MP raise, my PFR was very low and I had been having trouble getting any action with bigger hands. I thought if I made a standard raise there, I could either take it or begin to loosen up my table image.

If 88 beat me there I would be more understanding than k, 8. I guess I have trouble sitting still when I try to stick to solid preflop play but my PFR is at 4 after 100 hands and I've been fairly lose in late position to compensate for a lack of cards.

If I recall correctly, my #s were VPIP 8, PFR 5 or something after a lot of hands.
    • jxb1977
      jxb1977
      Bronze
      Fair enough he is obviously a nutter and just got lucky against you. If i'd seen the same things there is a big chance i would have payed him off to. Although against maniacs i do try to play mega tight and try to show them the nuts (not sure if thats a good way to play?) as you know he probably isn't really watching your play but just playing any two!!

As for your stats i think its really difficult to have the perfect tag stats at every table but i think if you stick to the shc then you won't be far away overall. I was on a table the other day and i think my stats were something 10/1 preflop but overall 2,500 hands at nl10 my stats are 13/9 preflop. :f_biggrin:
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      Nh considering your reads. Note if he only calls with trash or he is also likely to raise someone on flop/turn with trash hands.

About preflop: I like raising PPs from every position, you are then preflop aggressor and your play isnt so obvious. So you can take down the pot without a hit with Cbet.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

As long as you have seen him spazz out postflop before it's fine, which is why it's important to make sure you know players tendencies both preflop and postflop. Some of them are huge maniacs preflop and turn to nits postflop, the opposite also exist, as well as all the other variations.

In general tho, most 68/6 will be rather passive postflop and them raising at all should be a big warning sign for you with marginal top pairs / overpairs.

Hope it helps.