Weekends

• Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Ok, here I am at last. xD
      I don't really know what is the problem, whether it's in my game, that I can't just adapt to the donks well or that I have just a bad luck which comes back in regular intervals, but I simply can't win at fridays and weekends.
      I know that those should be the best days when all the bad casual players play drunk when they get home from some party and want to have some good time gambling. It just doesn't work for me.
      I loose way too much everytime I play on friday/weekends.

Today I played some sessions and the results isn't too optimistic. :(
      My EV line is about 10 BI down. I play SSS NL100 on Stars, so 10 BI is not that much and I'm kinda used to 10 BI swings but the way this happened today is just... I can't find a word... crazy.

Many coolers like JJ vs. QQ, AQ vs. KK and similar stuff in blind battles or steal/resteal situations. Well, I guess that happens and sometime it happens the other way around and even itself in the long run, but there is more, don't worry.
      People limp/reraising crazy stuff. I mean... he limps, i raise with TT, he 3bets. We get it in and he has KJ. Someone minraises, get a caller, i squeeze all-in with AK, one of them calls me with 55. These are just ridiculous calls, how can he call against my range? He is so toasted... But he is not behind and in this particular situation it's a "good" call.
      What I get called with. This is maybe a little bit my mistake for giving my opponents too much credit in a way that I just can't believe they could have a hand they are representing. Few examples:
      Someone limps, I check in bb some trash and flop bottom two pair. He bets the flop and from the way the board looks, he can have 1 pair hand at most. On the turn there is some brick and he check-raises me. I mean, what can he have on a 842J board which he didn't raise preflop but also didn't fold, maybe set of 2 or 4, but since I have 42 in my hand, it's just so unlikely because there is only 1 combination of each left in the deck. Hence we get it in and he flips J8 for better 2 pair.
      A player lims, I raise AK, he calls. Flop comes AJ7, we get it in, he has J7.
      I raise someone with JJ, he calls. The flop comes with some overcard, I still c-bet and get called. Turn goes check-check and the river gives me a set of jacks. I bet and get raised. I think for a few seconds because the river completed a backdoor flush draw. But the original (from flop) heart draw missed and some straight draws missed, I decide to call. Obviously he called me on the flop with no pair no draw and backdoored a flush.
      Someone limps, I check bb, the flop and turn goes check-check. On the river I get some kind of a top pair or something, don't really remember and my opponent checks the 3rd time. There is time for a value bet, so I bet and he makes this big raise, I'm completely taken aback by surprise and call without really thinking about it because I just can't understand what his line can possibly mean. Well, it mean that he was slowplaying KK like this.

Well, some pretty standard stuff like people setmining with no implied odds (I raise to 30 % of my stack and they still call with low pockets and hit like every time xD ), but this happens every day and I'm pretty much used to it. Just when it happens a few times while you are loosing stacks on all tables, it doesn't help.

So, I guess this kinda explains my frustration and the reasons my EV is like negative 10 BI. A little icing on the cake is that my actual winnings for today are anothe 10 BI under EV because of some suckouts, lost flips and a few funny hands, but that doesn't bother me that much. Because if my EV line is good I pretty much know and am confident that the only problem is bad luck, but when EV line drops way down, I start to worry. ;-)
      Just a few examples. I had this regular on 2 tables and he has pretty high fold2steal, hence I tried to steal from him a few times. I think that he reppoped me like 4 times out of 5. I might have called him once and run into a monster, I'm not sure whether it was him or someone else. Anyway it folds to me in the SB and I open with my Aces again vs. him and he shoves on me like so many times before. I snapcall obviously and loose another stack, because he outflops me.
      Loosing some big pots (when I was doubled up already or at least with 25+ bb stack or when it was a 3way all-in). Once I had QQ and got it in preflop, got 2 callers, who got it in either on flop or turn, the flop was like J76. One guy had JJ the other one 66 and hit his 1outer on the river. At least I felt like I'm not alone with the other guy loosing with his top set. xD
      And a few "funny" hands like this one for example.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.5/$1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $24.50
      MP2:
      $100.00
      MP3:
      $38.40
      CO:
      $92.90
      BU(Hero):
      $20.00
      SB:
      $50.00
      BB:
      $103.00
      UTG1:
      $112.25
      UTG2:
      $98.50

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, A.
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $2.00, CO calls $2.00, Hero raises to $20.00(All-In), 3 folds, CO calls $18.00.

Flop: ($43.5) 6, 9, 4 (2 players)

Turn: ($43.5) 5 (2 players)

River: ($43.5) 8 (2 players)

Final Pot: $43.5.

Results follow:

Hero shows high card ace(K A).
      CO shows a pair of fours(J 4).

CO wins with a pair of fours(J 4).

Seriously, I would like so much to sit down at a friday eveing and be like "hey, fishes, thank you very much for the moniez", but the reality is that the worse the players the more I loose. xD
      And I just hate it so much. I simply NEED to win in games this soft.

Well, it actually helped a bit to write it down and I feel fine again, so thanks in advance to any possible readers ;-) and thanks twice to anyone who has some kind of suggestion.
  • 8 replies
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I think I have a similar problem playing with bad players. Bad players are hard to read for an experienced player because they have a completely different way of thinking and lack understanding for how to best play their hands. Try to avoid thinking at higher levels and keep it really simple against these types. Now, how to deal with the opponents who masterfully mix things up with their mistakes, well, good luck figuring that out. :f_p:
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Well, I don't play SSS, I don't know if you've been posting your hands, but try it, start focusing on your plays, on your decisions... just make sure you're making the correct decisions and don't focus on the results.

That hand is pretty standard, you got it in PF, he called with an absolutely ridiculous hand... and sucked out. :P
      It happens man, sometimes way too often.

I don't know if it's going to help you but let's take a look at this hand:
      You've got 65% equity against his hand and the pot is $40 (Yeah, I know it's $43.5, but just for the sake of simplicity, let's assume it's $40).

So, what actually belongs to you from this pot is (0.65*40) $26.

Well, you lost the hand and got $0... now you get mad because you ran bad, he got lucky and you're under expectation.

That's the way a lot of players look at this, what actually helped me not getting mad at this scenarios was to start looking the other way around.

Let's suppose you had won the hand and you took down the $40 pot. Don't you see anything wrong with that??

Your EV was $26 and you got $40... well, now you were the one that actually ran good, got lucky and now is above expectation. But almost no one ever think about this from this perspective.

Try looking at it from the other way around, it really helped me focus on my decisions instead of the results. Maybe it helps you, who knows?

Of course it's still frustrating when you go through a huge downswing, but as long as you don't let that frustration affect your decisions, you should be fine.
      I've just gone through a 25BI downswing (NL100 too... but with a full stack :P ) but managed to crawl myself out of the hole a little in the past 3 days and now I'm just 10BI down this month, If you ask me if it's frustrating... well, yeah, it IS frustating but I'm very proud of the fact that I didn't let this frustration affect my decisions.

Another thing you can try - If you have some friends that play poker (somewhat) seriously you might want to share your experiences with them... if you don't have friends that play poker, then you got the same problem I do... try telling them you lost $2.5k playing poker and see their reaction. :f_eek:
      I didn't tell anyone BTW, had already seen their reaction when I told them I lost $230 in one day when I was playing NL50... decided it was a bad decision to tell them about the $2.5k loss. :D

Well, what works for me might not work for you... but I hope I've been able to help somehow.
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Thanks for your feedback and advices, Faye.
      Originally posted by Faye6891
      I've just gone through a 25BI downswing (NL100 too... but with a full stack :P ) but managed to crawl myself out of the hole a little in the past 3 days and now I'm just 10BI down this month.
      Nice to read that you are recovering from your downswing.
      You know, I said to myself: If Faye can make it, I can make it, here is the result. :s_cool:
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Meiffert
      You know, I said to myself: If Faye can make it, I can make it
      Well, I like to aim higher, so I always say to myself: If durrrr can make it, I can make it. :s_cool:
    • Titicamara
      Titicamara
      Bronze
      Never go all in with AK. Why do you want to put yourself into a coin flip situation. Just raise is good enough. I have lost alot with AK all in pre-flop and in my opinion its just not worth it.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Well, I disagree with you. There's absolutely nothing wrong with going all-in PF with AK... especially since he's playing SSS he should just shove it in.

I know you probably just want to help and you're giving your opinion here, but saying it's bad to shove AK PF just because you have lost a lot with it is just bad advice IMO.
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      i believe the problem is that you do not actually show them any respect. if you are under ev it means you get in with the worst hands...

friday to sunday i try to not bluff too much into pots as people are not so tight. i also tighten up my range a little.

and i do exactly the opposite on bss as people will pay ALOT with top pair.

here is what you can do. it is a little tedious but well worth it.

either find yesterdays hand history and look exactly what you did wrong or write on a piece of paper ever pot you lost money on for a few days in a row and you will see that you are actually not as good as you thought you are.

self realization blah blah im sure ghandi or bhudda or the Greeks said something about it.

definitely not Paris Hilton
    • kwedaras
      kwedaras
      Bronze
      i had the same problem a while ago, but my day was monday. the whole week im running good, but on mondays i used to run insane bad, like you. everybody outflops me, etc. and i lose like half of my week winnings. i was really scared when 4th week same thing happened and decided not to play on mondays. and after 3 weeks of my game improvement, i sat at my pc, completely unaware that it is monday, and ran incredibly good. since then i play on mondays and everything is ok. :f_biggrin: