big & cheap laptop

• opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Hi guys,

i'd like to buy new laptop (the old one is really old) to grind during the BM party, so I need 1600x??? LCD... In fact (3*530)x(3*400) would be the best (yeah, iPoker software sucks), but I found two quite cheap with 1600x900 (some overlapping is aceptable).

What do you think about these two?

- ACER Aspire AS7535G but with 2x2GB 667Mhz RAM and with ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570 512 MB DDR2 VRAM for 635€
      - HP ProBook 4710s - it's in Slovak language because I couldnt find this configuration elsewhere

Doesn't matter - look 3 posts down please :)

What do you think about them? I'll use it only for poker (9-tabling iPoker) + PT3 + EyePoker and very rarely in school for browsing (and some poker maybe too :P )..

If you know about some cheap 1600x1200 model, let me know... I just don't want to spend 1000-1500€ for something that would still be shit if i compare it to my desktop PC ^^

Thank you!
  • 14 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      as far as I know, you can't find 4:3 format screens (much less laptops) anymore, so it'll be 16:10 or 16:9. The closest thing to what you're looking for is either 1600x900, or 1920x1080 (full HD). As a comparison, the smallest 1920x1200 monitors are 24".

17" is *huge* though, are you sure you want to cart around such a huge pc? Then again, if you're only going to take it with you when you play poker, i guess it's not a huge problem..

Maybe get one through ebay, you can find some really cheap computers there ...I got a perfectly good HP tablet PC (the latest one, with multitouch and all) for less than 1$k, so it's definitely worth a look
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Well, Acer doesn't have the best reputation to be honest. Many people say there are many problems with it. (Altough I have one myself and it's pretty much ok, some problems keyboard, but I could expect them after spilling some tea and stuff into it. xD )

And I have terrible experience with HP and their support, maybe I was unlucky but I just HATE HP ever since.
      (We bought a printer and it didn't work with our OS (Win XP), altough it said it should be ok. After trying all the possible drivers and everything I called them and they told me that for THIS version of XP there are no drivers and they won't deal with it in any way, that I have to get a new OS. I repeat: I asked if it works under XP before I bouhgt it and they said it does.)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      I've just found out that 1600x900 is not the best resolution to 9tabling... :(

1600x1200 is the best, 1680x1050 is playable too.

What do you think about this: LENOVO thinkpad SL500? Would it be playable on such small screen?

swissmoumout: I found few 1600x1200, but don't like any of them (not worth the money imo), so those 1680x1050 looks good. What do you think about that?^ would be 9tabling with HUD possible?

And buying from ebay is not what I prefer, as I need it before BM party and has bad experience with ebay's laptops (I got my money back, but lost about € due to conversions and spend few weeks to resolve it..).
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Meiffert: I know Acer is not the best brand, but I never had any problem with anything named Acer (maybe just luck? ;) )
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      my advice, don't go with acer, and try to make sure the hard drive in the laptop is not made by Hitachi (about half of them are defective)

I like the Lenovo Thinkpads I traveled with them for years. There's the R500 that might be a good choice. It has good battery life and big HD display. I see it on sale from $650 to $800 US.

Also big, but not cheap is the W700 - it has a pullout second screen. Check that, it's now half the price at $1500US.

"BM/Lenovo have just announced their new ThinkPad W700 series mobile workstation laptop with dual LCD with main display 17 inch WUXGA (1920×1200 pixel) and the secondary display 10.6 inch (1280×768 pixel)."

• opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      my advice, don't go with acer, and try to make sure the hard drive in the laptop is not made by Hitachi (about half of them are defective)

I like the Lenovo Thinkpads I traveled with them for years. There's the R500 that might be a good choice. It has good battery life and big HD display. I see it on sale from $650 to $800 US.

Also big, but not cheap is the W700 - it has a pullout second screen.

"BM/Lenovo have just announced their new ThinkPad W700 series mobile workstation laptop with dual LCD with main display 17 inch WUXGA (1920×1200 pixel) and the secondary display 10.6 inch (1280×768 pixel)."

R500 has only 1280 x 800 resolution so it's out of question and W700 is not cheap model for 1-2x per month usage ;)

But I like that pic and if it was shot with another 24" LCD connected and 15 running poker tables + PT3 and tablescanning on that small screen, I'd love it :heart:
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Lenovo Thinkpads (ex-IBM) are basically the sturdiest laptops out there. no problem if you drop it, or even spill a drink on it (depending on models). They're not exactly beautiful, but if you don't mind the looks, I hear they're excellent.

For what it's worth, I'm just taking my 12" tablet pc with me to berlin, but taking a 22 (or 24) inch external monitor in my suitcase. You might want to consider that

That dual LCD laptop lenovo made doesn't look great though imo. I don't get why they decided to put two different-sized screens on it.. and some other company is going to release a few "real" dual-screen laptops soon.. it was on engadget.com today
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      I tried to contact you on SKype but you left while I was typing...

No way, I'll bring any of my LCDs by train because of not the best experience and won't need them for those few hours. :/

Thank you for replies, I'm now more or less decided for that Lenovo if no one comes with better idea.. it'll take some time to get money out of Mansion though
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      wow $500 for the SL500 on lenovo's site. this is what I bought for $500 not so long ago.

the ad says the vic20 is never out of date because it's expandable.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      wow $500 for the SL500 on lenovo's site.
      yes, but with 1gb ram and 1.6ghz cpu is close to what you bought ;)

I haven't found SL500 with such configuration anywhere so can't compare the prices.. If anyone knows about similar laptop to this, let me know please :)

CPU: (Intel Core 2 Duo P7570 2.26 GHz, 3 MB L2 cache, FSB 1066 MHz)
      RAM: 2x2 GB DDR2 667 MHz
      LCD: 15,4" WSXGA+ TFT LCD 1680x1050
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9300 256 MB
      HDD: 320 GB 5.4k RPM SATA

800 €
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      wow $500 for the SL500 on lenovo's site. this is what I bought for $500 not so long ago.

the ad says the vic20 is never out of date because it's expandable.
      [x] Search for computer ends here.

William Shatner endorses it. WILLIAM SHATNER!!! Captain Kirk controls the Enterprise so clearly Vic 20 = the nuts.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      I'd go with toshiba but w/e..
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Bronze
      dont you think a notebook with 17" lcd is a little too much?

I mean, i play in my desktop with a 32" lcd + 17" lcd, but i dont need to carry out anywhere. I bought last week a 15.4" lcd notebook and i found it too big for me. In terms of mobility, its not so easy to carry anywhere you want, its a little heavy, and its not so handy to put your note on you lap.

I imagine those 17" inches, i would need to tansport the battery charger (you would get a 1h30m charge), a wireless mouse and my useful stuff like books and cellphone.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      @ alverine
      ofc they're not the definition of "mobility" but if one wants to switch from desk to laptop, they're just what you need
      my current one is a HP (2 x 2.00 ghz, 2 gb ram, 17 " screen) and I got a sort of stand for it so it doesn't bother me if I'm at my desk, in my bed, in an armchair, in the car or anywere else.
      I won't even talk about theese. 2,26 ->2,8... ghz quad core / core 2 extreme cpu, 8gb ram, awesome graphics card & display, 1 tera hdd and so on...

the battery I got for mine lasts for about 3 - 3.5 hours while watching movies / listening to music or stuff like that, and around 2.5 if I play 10-12 tables (maybe cause bwin software uses 1.3-1.6 GB of ram for that O_o)

anyway, if you need mobility you buy a phone/netbook and if you need it for paint and excel but with a decent screen, you buy something for 250-300 euros. IMO