Do poker blogs help

• lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Hi id like to talk about poker blogs.

Do they help the player writing them?
      Do they help the players reading them?
      Do they just entertain?

I'd like to think that they do all three, but do they?

Is it just ego breaking out that makes us start blogs or is it a firm belive that it will help our game?

I look forward to peoples thoughts
  • 7 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      It helps to become more disciplined imo.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Yes you mean in that you are more likely to stick to BRM? is that what you mean?

It probably does as it makes you think twice about playing a limit you shouldnt in the knowlege that it will be frowned upon by your readers.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      Is it just ego breaking out that makes us start blogs or is it a firm belive that it will help our game?
      Even if it was only the ego part I think it would help you. If I win and then go write about it, it makes me confident and gives me the mindset that I can beat these games. That's probably why I don't update often after losing sessions :] .
      Confidence is an important thing imo, it will help you to be aggressive and make better decisions.
      Of course you can also be over-confident and underestimate your opponents, but that's just taking it too far.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      I think it does and it doesn't... it's up to each individual... I think the true test is how players handle their blogs during tough downswings... for me, my blog is somewhere where most often I can express what's on my mind, during the good and the bad...

Players reading blogs can learn a lot, but generally it can be a slow development and they learn more over time... there are some great blogs where their are fairly constant analyses...
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      I think you're right.
      You will not learn anything from my blog which is pretty empty anyway. But there are very good blogs out there.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      This is good stuff, I like the confidence idea and the idea that you can express yourself during good and bad times.

I think posting hands during the bad times more than the good times will help due to the fact you can get some feed back, you may not just be running bad, maybe you have changed you play without realising it....I guess that also relates back to confidence.
    • Gamer135
      Gamer135
      Bronze
      Do they help the player writing them?

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but it helps me because:

- It's a good way to keep track of my goals and progress.

- It helps unclutter my mind. Ranting about the occasional bad beat or (more often than not, in my case) stupid play helps get it off your chest and refocus for your next session. I usually save the questionable hands for the hand evaluation forums.

- It keeps things in perspective. For example, I keep a record of my current bankroll on mine. I've been stuck at around $400 lately, which has been really frustrating. Looking back a few entries, I realized that just a few weeks ago I was having troubles hitting $300 and wondering if I could even get to $400. So, it gave me a good shot of confidence.

Do they help the players reading them?

It depends on the person and the blog, but I think they do. You can get a look into another player's mindset and perhaps see things from a different perspective, or come across things that you may not have realized or experienced yet. Plus, if you're just starting out, it's nice to know that you're not the only one going through growing pains.

Do they just entertain?

Mine probably doesn't. :P There are some very good ones out there, though.