NL5 SH 33

Button [color:#C00000]Hero ($5)[/color]
      SB ($3.07)
      BB [color:#C00000]BB ($5.58)[/color]
      UTG ($5.06)
      UTG+1 ($3.95)
      CO ($5.48)

Preflop: Hero is on the Button with 3 :diamond: 3 :heart:
      1 fold, UTG+1 calls 0.04, 1 fold, Hero calls 0.04, 1 fold, BB raises to 0.28, 1 fold, Hero calls 0.24.

Flop (0.62) Q :spade: 5 :diamond: 6 :spade:
      BB checks, Hero bets 0.45, BB calls 0.45.

Turn (1.52) 4 :diamond:
      BB bets 1, Hero calls 1.

River (3.52) 7 :diamond:
      BB bets 2.04, Hero moves all-in for 3.27, BB calls 1.23

-------------------

• Preflop:
        I often overlimp these small pp's after limpers, because I don't mind if somebody raises and I don't mind to play a multiway pot.
        Would it be better to isolate limpers with these hands?

The bb raises kinda big, but there's some dead money and I have a pp in position, so I call.

• Flop:
        I was folding the flop, but now that he checks I thought I might as well bet.
        He could easily have A-high and playing check-fold on this flop.
        If I check behind, he could bet the turn with anything and I'd have to fold.

He does just call which I thought was kinda strange. So now I take into consideration he might have 99-JJ deciding going for pot control.
        I think 77 and 88 are more likely to check their bb preflop after two limpers.
        But still he might have just AK.

• Turn:
        Now all of a sudden he leads out.
        99-JJ are more likely now, because he wants to protect his hand and probably fold to a raise. But maybe he just has a strangely played A-high and thought I was weak and bluffed to flop. He could also turned a flushdraw and bet because I might be weak, or less likely have a spade draw.

I picked up an oesd, but haven't got a clue which outs are good. I don't really mind that it's the bottom end in this case because I don't think he holds an 8 or a 7 in his hand often.

I still think I have some showdown value. Concerning the scary board, I think without a very strong hand he will very often check the river and I get a free showdown. That, together with my outs made me decide to call here.
        If I'm beat, at least I get to see his hand often (He was the bb on my BTN, so I'd like the information).
        Was calling the right thing here, or should I just fold?

Do you think raising the turn would be profitable ( I think he would fold a lot)?

• River:
        I was folding to a bet on a spade or diamond river (or actually on any river but a 2, 3 or 7), but the 7 completed my straight.
        I certainly thought a diamond flush was part of his range, but he could have other hands.
        I raised because he has to pay me off with any hand besides maybe A-high.
        If we were deeper, I'd just call the river.

Where am I thinking wrong, where am I thinking right?

* I know my hands take a bit more time to review, hope you don't mind. I don't post a lot of hands :) .
  • 5 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Pre-flop, I'm definitely isolating the fish here. Limping isn't something you want to do much of shorthanded.

I'm probably checking back that flop.
      Definitely folding the turn too, he could easily have something like KQdd/AQdd/87s/78o, which have you crushed.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SheepMoose
      Definitely folding the turn too, he could easily have something like KQdd/AQdd/87s/78o, which have you crushed.
      Hmm you're right, didn't even think of Q:diamond: X:diamond: . That's really stupid. But I didn't think 78 was in his range a lot.
      But it would still surprise me if he had a Q, but if he hangs on it becomes more possible I guess.

The way he played it, he knows nothing about my hand.
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Pre-flop: raise raise raise. In the SB you can complete this & on the BB you can check but UTG - MP - CO & BU you RAISE any pocket pair.

Flop: as played, check back. If you had raised this pre-flop you can c-bet this board.

Turn: Fold... why are you calling? Villain has indicated that he has something and all you have is an OESD.

River: Why would you wanna shove with bottom straight? Just call it down & take the showdown. You're valuetowning yourself more often here then you're actually getting value.
      He could easily have 87 here, which would explain why he donks the turn all of a sudden.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mstlc
      Pre-flop: raise raise raise. In the SB you can complete this & on the BB you can check but UTG - MP - CO & BU you RAISE any pocket pair.

Flop: as played, check back. If you had raised this pre-flop you can c-bet this board.

Turn: Fold... why are you calling? Villain has indicated that he has something and all you have is an OESD.

River: Why would you wanna shove with bottom straight? Just call it down & take the showdown. You're valuetowning yourself more often here then you're actually getting value.
      He could easily have 87 here, which would explain why he donks the turn all of a sudden.
      +1
      you can bet flop, since you often take down pot if checked.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      Alright thanks for pointing out the (many) mistakes!

I open-raise any pair, but from now on I'll isolate with any pair too!
      I'd still be very surprised to see 78 because that would be a first on these tables in this situation, I would be weary of that in better games though.

I see how bad my turnplay was now.

I still don't really dislike my river shove on this limit here, but of course again against better players that's a no-no. (maybe you can convince me :) )

Not relevant for review, but he had QQ.