Top two pair agains a set. Could i not lose all my chips?

• keptavista
      keptavista
      Bronze
      Here it is:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$100/$200 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $5060.00
      MP3:
      $24450.00
      CO:
      $5905.00
      BU:
      $3404.00
      SB(Hero):
      $20200.00
      BB:
      $1870.00
      UTG1:
      $2009.00
      UTG2:
      $4212.00
      MP1:
      $5240.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, J.
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $490.00, 2 folds, Hero calls $390.00, BB folds.

Flop: ($1180) A, 3, J (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $760.00, Hero calls $760.00.

Turn: ($2700) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $2,100.00, Hero raises to $5,200.00, MP3 raises to $10,500.00, Hero calls $7,400.00.

River: ($27900) Q (2 players)
      Hero raises to $6,350.00(All-In), MP3 calls $6,350.00.

Final Pot: $40600.

The thing is that this guy seemed really agressive, ofter raised my binds and if i call move on with continuation bets. One time i've tried to bluff him out, and he had top two pair and i lost a lot of chips, so after that i decided to wait and trap him. Too bad he had already a lot of chips, big chunk of them were mine... So when i saw a flop when top two pair hit me i really though that i got him this time. Since i knew he always puts conti bet, i checked. On turn i checked again and after his bet i've decided that it is time to raise him. After he reraised me i was a bit confused, but still could put him on a hand, actually i didn't even tried, i really though i have the best hand. And what happened next is clear :( I know that you have to payout to a set with top two pair, but in this excact situation could i not loose all my chips? Should i just call the turn? Or fold after his reraise? Maybe i got too personal with this guy. Or maybe i was just unlucky when you take all the situation into account? Would you play it differently?
  • 4 replies
    • keptavista
      keptavista
      Bronze
      BTW he had JJ, i don't know why converter didn't show that sorry :(
    • travoltaJOHNy
      travoltaJOHNy
      Bronze
      I can't see what hand he had, but no I'd never fold top two especially against a super aggressive opponent :)
    • Cpwpoker
      Cpwpoker
      Bronze
      We can never know when a set is hitted.

So i think that i was a good play as a top two pair is a very strong.

I am still a fish but when you play against a player and make it personal you may make wrong decision.

Ask you this question : "If it was against another player what will i have do?I will have only call his raise?"

If the answer is : " I would have done the same thing." Then you have well played maybe he had AK or a high Ace but you had the AJ nothing was telling you he had a set.

If the answer is : "I would have only call his raise to the river" Then perhaps you let personal judgement affect your decision.

Ps : If 1 day i play these stake think i will get heart attack at each bad beat >_<!
    • keptavista
      keptavista
      Bronze
      This was a tournament game, i don't play at such stakes :) One more thing, i've put him on a flush draw, thats why i decided to raise on the turn after i saw non dangerous card...