Quiz of the Week: How Do You Handle the Queens?

• awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Hello fellow strategists!

Ladies are a rather complicated matter - they are delicate and you have to handle them with care. This statement also holds true in poker, so how do you handle the queens?

It's true that they often get you into trouble, but no matter which way you look at it: you are always happy to see them.

And why wouldn't you? After all, pocket queens are the third strongest starting hand in Texas Hold'em. What this means is that out of thousands of starting hands, only two of them are clearly stronger, while you've got the majority of other hands dominated.

So who would ever want to fold pocket queens? Every seasoned poker player knows that this hand can get him into heaps of trouble. From the SSS point of view, mastering the ladies is of crucial importance, because every time you make a mistake, you put your whole stack at stake.

Are you a ladies' man?

Check out the previous edition of the NL quiz here:

• 4 replies
    • DaveX77
      DaveX77
      Bronze
      Hi,

Nice quiz. I like playing SSS from time to time.
      Just one comment regarding question 9. I think that folding should be considered in that situation especially in case that we would know, that both opponents are tight and somehow reasonable. MP1 is 3betting tight UTG2 raisor, so he should have really tight range here(QQ+,AK) and then MP2 4bets him. Unless MP2 is kind of maniac I would give him credit for KK+ and fold here and wait for a better spot.
      Anyway 4bet from MP2 on NL10(25) occurs very seldom and it's mostly KK+.

What do you think ?

Best Regards
      Dave
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaveX77
      Hi,

Nice quiz. I like playing SSS from time to time.
      Just one comment regarding question 9. I think that folding should be considered in that situation especially in case that we would know, that both opponents are tight and somehow reasonable. MP1 is 3betting tight UTG2 raisor, so he should have really tight range here(QQ+,AK) and then MP2 4bets him. Unless MP2 is kind of maniac I would give him credit for KK+ and fold here and wait for a better spot.
      Anyway 4bet from MP2 on NL10(25) occurs very seldom and it's mostly KK+.

What do you think ?

Best Regards
      Dave
      Hey Dave,

Im guessing you cant fold because you have already raised and invested money in the pot. This means you need less equity to make a call. The pot could end up 3 way or MP1 could fold and that means the pot has $1.20 + $0.10 + $0.05 dead money.

Anyway i got 92% :s_love: - Main game is BSS SH btw ^^
      I must know how to handle teh ladiez ;)

Best Regards,

-Jack
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      It's just as he said. As SSS player, your odds change dramatically once you've already invested money into the pot, so folding QQ would be rather nitty.

It all depends on how well you adjust, though - I would give a normal reasonable opponent a (TT)JJ+/AK range there, but as there are sooooo many really bad opponents there with for instance 66+/AT, you can't really fold against unknown.
    • DaveX77
      DaveX77
      Bronze
      Hi,

Thank you both for your comments and ideas.
      I agree with you that against average NL10 player we should call here and it would be +EV on average. However against two tight regulars I would tend to fold and I do not feel nitty about it :-)

I played with PokerStove a little bit to calculate the preflop equities against tight players:

Hand 0(UTG2): 23.256% { QQ }

Hand 1(MP1) : 25.990% { TT+, AKs, AKo }

Hand 2(MP2) : 50.754% { QQ+, AKs }
      - I would only 4bet KK+ in this spot

If I callculate pot odds for the preflop call I get:
      0.4+1,2+2+0.1+0.05 / 1.6 -> 2.34:1 so we need slighly more then 30% equity preflop to make the call +EV and we have only 23% here.

DaveX77