Targets

• kopiteste
      kopiteste
      Bronze
      I started playing NL Hold 'em 6 days ago using SSS. I made a lot of beginners mistakes with my $50 starting capital, i am slowly but surely rectifying them. I have been trying to read as many articles as i can, and a lot of them have references to a target. However, i haven't found an article on what would be a reasonable target(s). Does anyone have advice on how to set myself reasonable targets?
      Stephen
  • 4 replies
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Hello kopiteste,

Welcome to the Forums!

In my opinion its not good to set yourself money orientated targets because there can be loads of variance while playing SSS. The targets i would set is to make sure that you play all your hands 100% correct according to the strategy + the math. If you do this then you will win in the long run.

Any positive winrate is SSS is good though ;)

Best Regards,

-Jack
    • kopiteste
      kopiteste
      Bronze
      over how many hands should i be expecting to see a positive winrate? i am currently averaging -2.75bb/100h after just short of 2400 hands
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi kopiteste,

2.4k hands isn't really enough yet to see any reliable trend in your win rate. It's difficult to say an exact figure, but most players seem to suggest a sample size of around 100k. It is possible that you will see it a lot quicker though of course, but If pushed I would suggest a very minimum of 20 to 30k hands.

The strategies are long term and should be viewed as such. At this early stage don't get too worried about your wins/losses, just try to concentrate on sticking to the strategy guidelines and avoid playing hands that aren't in the Starting Hands Chart.

If the learning process costs you a few $ early on, it doesn't matter, just so long as you can identify how/where and know what to put right.

Learn from mistakes at the cheaper lower levels - Improve your knowledge and ability before moving onto the higher levels. :s_thumbsup:

Good luck,

Bart
    • kopiteste
      kopiteste
      Bronze
      I think that i am learning from my mistakes so far, although the variance is hard to handle at times. Thankfully i have read and re-read the psychology articles on tilt etc. so i feel i am fairly able to deal with it.
      Thanks for your advice.
      Ste