This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Nl100 Jj

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $65.75
      Hero:
      $48.00

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J:diamond: , J:club:
      Hero raises to $3.50, 8 folds, BB calls $2.50.

Flop: ($7.50) 8:diamond: , T:diamond: , Q:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.00, BB calls $4.00.

Turn: ($15.50) T:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($15.50) 3:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $15.50, Hero calls $15.50.

Final Pot: $46.50

On the flop I have a flush draw, a g/shot sd and a big PP with only 1 overcard, double stacked (which of course sucks). I had trouble putting villain on a range here - I felt a Q would have 3bet this dangerous flop, rather than flat called and on the river I called since I felt sometimes this is a busted flushdraw. Am I making a big mistake here?
      Any guesses as to villain's hand?
  • 7 replies
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      did he have pocket 3s?

Maybe you could've bet the turn to make sure. checking it down gives it no information.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      I think a higher bet on the flop ($5 or $5.5)) is better against such a loose opponent ( +FE and +value). If he had a Q I also think he'd be raising you on this flop, unless it's A :diamond: Q. So I like your checking behind Turn to keep the pot small and induce bluffs on river. I guess by betting Turn you could scare worse hands, drawing hands -even though you might want to get him off any A :diamond: or K :diamond: - but I think his range is a lot wider than that.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      I like your play on the flop and turn (just bet a little more on the flop as you would do with a made hand to protect).

On the river, I would also probably call, but that doesn't mean much since I'm a friggin calling station.

One things is for sure when he would bet pot on the river I would curse diamonds, double stack, JJ, opponents that call all the bets and then fire river and many other things.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      So guys, are you saying you think my call on the river isn't so bad?

I kind of think elhh82's line has some merit too. If villain calls - say 1/2 pot size - 2nd barrel on the Turn then we can safely invest no more money and this would be cheaper than calling a potsize bet on the river.

Difficult to divorce the results from my thinking. As I know villain wasn't in fact bluffing (although he didn't have a flush), it's difficult to assess how often such a villain would bluff on the River, so as to make a call there profitable.

Tim
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Tim,

Buy to max since 50bb playing SS sucks bigtime.

I cBet $5.5 Flop and barrel $8.5 or $9 on the Turn to check behind on the River.

Now you give him the decision what the bet size would be imo

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      I cBet $5.5 Flop and barrel $8.5 or $9 on the Turn to check behind on the River.

Now you give him the decision what the bet size would be imo

Best regards,
      Gerv
      Hey Gerv, why barrel Turn/ch behind River, rather than check Turn/C River?

You said we'll give him the decision of the bet size, but if we are going for a check behind river we actually do not want him to bet right?

If a fourth :diamond: comes out on the River we are not in a nice spot, so we want to have a small pot and call a small bet there I guess. Don't you think we can also accomplish that with checking Turn and calling a river bet - and then we could also get value from some worse hands that would bet river after we show weakness?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Because barreling let's you maintain the iniative + let's you give some FE

Also you control the size of the pot.

If your plan is for calling the River up to X and villain suddenly bets way more than the x amount, you are not calling for instance.

Also you want to get value of Draws//let draws pay for their cards. IF they hit on the River while you barreled the Turn , they are still checking..

If they c/c-donk River when a 4th comes, it is soo obvious! :)