Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $65.75
      Hero:
      $48.00

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J:diamond: , J:club:
      Hero raises to $3.50, 8 folds, BB calls $2.50.

Flop: ($7.50) 8:diamond: , T:diamond: , Q:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.00, BB calls $4.00.

Turn: ($15.50) T:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($15.50) 3:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $15.50, Hero calls $15.50.

Final Pot: $46.50

On the flop I have a flush draw, a g/shot sd and a big PP with only 1 overcard, double stacked (which of course sucks). I had trouble putting villain on a range here - I felt a Q would have 3bet this dangerous flop, rather than flat called and on the river I called since I felt sometimes this is a busted flushdraw. Am I making a big mistake here?
      Any guesses as to villain's hand?
  • 7 replies
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      did he have pocket 3s?

Maybe you could've bet the turn to make sure. checking it down gives it no information.
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      I think a higher bet on the flop ($5 or $5.5)) is better against such a loose opponent ( +FE and +value). If he had a Q I also think he'd be raising you on this flop, unless it's A :diamond: Q. So I like your checking behind Turn to keep the pot small and induce bluffs on river. I guess by betting Turn you could scare worse hands, drawing hands -even though you might want to get him off any A :diamond: or K :diamond: - but I think his range is a lot wider than that.
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      I like your play on the flop and turn (just bet a little more on the flop as you would do with a made hand to protect).

On the river, I would also probably call, but that doesn't mean much since I'm a friggin calling station.

One things is for sure when he would bet pot on the river I would curse diamonds, double stack, JJ, opponents that call all the bets and then fire river and many other things.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      So guys, are you saying you think my call on the river isn't so bad?

I kind of think elhh82's line has some merit too. If villain calls - say 1/2 pot size - 2nd barrel on the Turn then we can safely invest no more money and this would be cheaper than calling a potsize bet on the river.

Difficult to divorce the results from my thinking. As I know villain wasn't in fact bluffing (although he didn't have a flush), it's difficult to assess how often such a villain would bluff on the River, so as to make a call there profitable.

Tim
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Tim,

Buy to max since 50bb playing SS sucks bigtime.

I cBet $5.5 Flop and barrel $8.5 or $9 on the Turn to check behind on the River.

Now you give him the decision what the bet size would be imo

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      I cBet $5.5 Flop and barrel $8.5 or $9 on the Turn to check behind on the River.

Now you give him the decision what the bet size would be imo

Best regards,
      Gerv
      Hey Gerv, why barrel Turn/ch behind River, rather than check Turn/C River?

You said we'll give him the decision of the bet size, but if we are going for a check behind river we actually do not want him to bet right?

If a fourth :diamond: comes out on the River we are not in a nice spot, so we want to have a small pot and call a small bet there I guess. Don't you think we can also accomplish that with checking Turn and calling a river bet - and then we could also get value from some worse hands that would bet river after we show weakness?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Because barreling let's you maintain the iniative + let's you give some FE

Also you control the size of the pot.

If your plan is for calling the River up to X and villain suddenly bets way more than the x amount, you are not calling for instance.

Also you want to get value of Draws//let draws pay for their cards. IF they hit on the River while you barreled the Turn , they are still checking..

If they c/c-donk River when a 4th comes, it is soo obvious! :)