How do you keep motivated while grinding

• Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Hi,

I have been playing a lot of poker for the last few months, but I have shown little gains. I play FL micro stakes (almost exclusively SH). I have been able to take my starting $50 quite far, but I feel that my game is stagnating. I was able to take it to $750 and had bonuses that if I cleared them I would be above $1000. However, I have had two really bad tilts that totally crushed me,... The first one took me so far down that I had to start at 0.10/0.20 again, and after the second one, I'm currently griding 0.25/0.50 after having my BR drop down to about $250. My tilting is really bad and I know I have to work on them,... but aside from that, I don't believe I am a "winning" player yet. On Party Poker, I get A LOT of bonuses,... they give you free bonuses that appear at seamingly random times (I got $300 from free bonuses on top of the PS100 bonus), also I bought a $350 bonus. Without the bonuses, I would definately have busted by now.

I printed off some of my stats and my results look absolutely terrible! On 0.50/1, after 11000 hands I am -2BB/100 hands. On 0.25/0.50, after 30k hands I am +1.15BB/100 hands. I know that I have tons of leaks and I know what I must do to fix them,... but I also know that after this many hands, a winning player can easily have these stats too. So, to get reliable data I need to keep grinding until I have about 100k hands at a given limit. I would like to ask people who have grinded for hundreds of thousands of hands,... how do you do it? I feel so depressed after grinding all day and finishing with having lost 100 BB's, then grinding again all day next day and losing another 100 BB's. It feels like forever since I have had a winning session. One problem is that I could very well be a losing player and will not realize it until I play 100k hands!

I feel that there are a lot of things that discourage me as I am trying to become a good poker player,... ie. everyone who thinks poker is the same as any other form of gambling, talk about how the game is harder than it used to be, and of course losing sessions. How do you guys keep motivated day in day out? is it normal to show loses after 10k hands even if you're a winning player?

On a related note, I have read a few things on the internet about poker being a lot harder not than it was a year or two ago. Is this true? I would think it would be reasonable that poker now is harder than it was 10 or even 5 years ago and certainly harder than it was 20 years ago,... but is the game changing so much that it gets more and more difficult every year? Do you believe that there is a "saturation point" for how good a player can get in a given limit? So that eventually if everyone at the table is a 99% "perfect" player, it becomes just gambling and you are just paying for the rake?

Thanks.
  • 6 replies
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      About motivation, I just see the money at the table and jump for joy when it comes my way, that's motivating enough for me. Coping with losing sessions is a bit tougher, as there are no moniez to stimulate your efforts. On the contrary, you lose your hard earned dollars. There's pretty much nothing you can do, it's up to you to find the motivation to grind more. I sometimes have several losing days, but always come out on top, and knowing that I'll eventually overcome any potential losses has been my motivational engine for the past several months.

About near future, don't worry about it too much. There will always be idiots and recreational players who have no clue what they're doing. Even if the average player gets better over the course of the next five years, you will have learned that much more about the game, and built your roll up significantly as well, so you'll always be ahead of your opponents. Or so I hope, otherwise my dream of becoming poker pro will dissipate into thin air...
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Well,... I'll just play another 50k hands or so,... when I get through that, if I'm still doing poorly, I'll whine some more. I always come back to the tables because I just love playing so much,... which can be bad because I think I don't devote enough time to just study. I'll keep grinding and hopefully I can see some better results that will motivate me to continue.

I guess there must always be fishes,... because this game is pretty tough to learn.

Btw, I wrote this post after my second -100BB day in a row and after a week where I lost half my BR largely from tilting (ie. playing NL50 and $50 NL SnG's to make back my 100BB's I lost in FL,.... I have <1000 hands of experience in NL). So, I was pretty discouraged. Thanks for the response.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      My main motivation - I have to pay for studies, pay my taxes, buy food etc. Downswings (which happen every second day in Pot Limit Omaha) hurt, but upswings (which, along with bonuses+rakeback overcome the losses) enable me to dream about the bright future :f_biggrin:
    • CaptainLuffy
      CaptainLuffy
      Bronze
      Hey, Im just starting my grind with my starting $50 and already I now have $150 plus a few bonuses to go, I would probably say that im 95% tilt proof as I know when I get a bad beat I got my money in +EV which is what makes up for the bad beat itself.

As for motivation, this month my target is to play 750 SNG'sand my main sources of motivation are....

Reading forum stories about very successful players and knowing it's not impossible!

Watching the world series of poker on ESPN is a big motivator for starting my sessions as I beleive watching my favourite pro's play makes me wanna play and learn more about the game!

And finally if all else fails and your in despair the big motivator, the mother of all motivators is my favourite film of all time ROUNDERS!!!!!

I wish you the best of luck dude, nothing is impossible :)

Luffy
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Why do you want to know if you are losing player?
      You are not perfect player, thats for sure, none of us is. Therefore you should work on ur game as hard as you can to become better. Why to grind 50k more hands to learn whether you are winning player or losing? If you would learn that you are winning player would you stop learning? Bad... =)
      I suggest you work on your game and study hard no matter what ur winrate is.

If its just about motivation to learn then it gets tougher. We all need to find something that motivates us to keep going forward.
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Well, I am doing my very best,... this much is certain. I work on my game everyday,... reading articles, sit in on coachings, watching videos, and I am starting to review sessions. However, so much of FL is experience based and I need to play the game to get better also. I understand that a winning player will know he/she is a winning player by looking at his/her play. But at some point there has to be results. This is where the 50k hands comes in. Poker is a continual learning experience that begins with the actual game is it not?

I do however, agree with you,... I should just study regardless of my winrate. It will come eventually if I work hard. I guess I have been focusing too much on going through the limits rather than simply the game itself.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement.