Starting with PLO

• Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      I currently play FL, but after I learned how to play PLO, I'd really like to give this a try. It seems that every PLO player started as a NL or FL player. I'm a relatively new FL player and my BR is pretty small, so I'd have to start PLO at the very lowest limits. However, FL is really getting me discouraged because it's tough to scrape together every little bit of edge to get an hourly winrate of like 1BB/100H. I find PLO much more fun when I played it,... (but I haven't played any real money game in PLO yet). I'm still going to learn FL, but I feel like switching to PLO for a while. My question is whether PLO is a good game for a beginner to start with. For example if I were to have signed up and had the 50 dollar starting BR, would PLO be a good game for me? My BR is about 300 right now (sigh,... it has taken multiple hits lately) which may be enough to play some micro limit games.
  • 3 replies
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      1) PLO is so much fun, best type of poker; Texas Holdem - poker cadillac, Omaha - a truck which uses crushed cadillacs for fuel.

2) PLO is a very hard game for beginner, for various reasons:

2.1) Must be able to count/discount outs, very important to understand [reversed] implied odds; strong personality is a must, otherwise you'll end up Nevada's PLO Players' Asylum;

2.2) On FL you never go all-in, on NL you rarely go all-in, on PLO it happens all the time. Means bad beats are just lurking in the corner and attacking your bankroll from time to time. It's rumoured that if you avoid a bad beat in 1K hands, Jesus will return to Earth. Jesus hasn't returned yet;

2.3) Must use very strict BRM, I mean not just very strict, but VERY STRICT BRM;

2.4) Position is everything in PLO: if you don't have position on ultra-aggresive bastard - change tables. If it hurts your ego - play FL.

3) PLO can be very profitable, but get ready for the swings! Being up 4 BI and then down 2BI 200 hands later is nothing - just another day of PLO poker.

4) Gl hf
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice! I actually went to your blog and read a bunch of the posts. It seems like you switched gears and went to PLO rather early as well. I played 3 PLO SNG's today and I cashed in two of them,... although my knowledge of PLO is very limited I can see that players are really bad! (one example was someone who went all the way to the river with 888K and having hit nothing on the board,... this person lasted pretty long too).

The biggest concern for PLO for me is the apparent lack of games. I wouldn't want to start at the 0.10/0.25 tables at Party like you did because I could easily go bust from the variance. Infact don't you need a bankroll of about 1200 to play that game?

I know that there are smaller stakes games on other sites. Can someone who's played PLO in a bunch of sites give me an idea of where a good place to start in is? ie. Full Tilt vs. Stars vs. Party.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I've been playing a bit of PLO too because I want to play some more 7-game at full tilt. At full tilt it's hard to find full ring games above the .01/.02 level. There's tons of 6max though. But as you already know, starting with 6max is not a good idea in general, but after building some confidence and experience it might be ok to figure out 6max early because of the lack of FR games; looking at the game selection on FT, there might not be much choice, really. I'm still playing the .01/.02 FR and have a few weeks experience, I'm planning to move to .01/.02 6max as soon as I'm consistently making "correct" decisions in PLO. Just some thoughts. :D Good luck!

** Yeah, there's 2 FR PLO10 and 1 PLO10 doublestack, 2 PLO5 FR and a bunch of PLO2 FR. It's peak hours at full tilt right now, too.