Equity Calls

• strat9
      Do the concepts behind the platinum articles, HU OOP C/C flop without Initiative . . . , apply exactly to heads-up in postition as well?

One of the HU IP articles makes a reference to these HU OOP articles and it made me wonder. What are the differences between making equity calls IP and OOP?
  • 3 replies
    • Dawnfall26

Equity is the same IP or OOP, just that Ip you can often go for another move like raise for freecard or freeSD
    • strat9
      I guess what I am asking is, for example, if HU OOP needs ~37% EQ to C/C flop, do you only need ~37% EQ to call IP as well?

I mostly understand the math behind it and that each scenario, 3bet, IP, etc, has different pot sizes. But there is also some non-mathematical guess-timation as well, making it a little difficult for me to come to my own conclusions.

When you say "equity is the same", does that mean the required equity for a HU IP BB Call is the same as a HU OOP BB Call? Or that it is the same when facing a 3-Bet HU IP as with HU OOP?
    • ciRith
      Hi strat9,

in position you probably need less than "37%".
      1) He will bet more often with a worse hand as he s out of position where people tend to be more aggressve.
      2) You act last and so you can make better choices (freecard or freesd raise).

So the article can be applied as it can only be better in positon than out of position. I guess there's no article yet as out of position play without a strong hand is way more difficult than in postion. :)

I guess Dawnfall26 talked about your equity you have against his range and not about the equity needed to calldown (correct me if I'm wrong).