Stack
      Hero:
      $10.00
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $1.75

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:diamond: , Q:club: . CO posts a blind of $0.10.
      4 folds, CO checks, BU calls $0.10, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.60, CO calls $0.50, BU folds.

Flop: ($1.35) 5:heart: , J:heart: , T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.35, CO calls $1.35.

Turn: ($4.05) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.40, Hero calls $2.40.

River: ($8.85) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $8.85

How is my play here? I c-bet the flop pot size because there is flush/straight draws possible. When he calls i'm a little confused, as does he have a draw or hit trips? So i slow down on the turn and check, when he bets i guess he isn't drawing as he probably would have taken a free card. So he must have some sort of made hand. With this thinking is my call on the turn a bit fishy or with an over pair and a gutshot draw am i ok making the call? I will add that if he'd made a sizable bet on the river i probably would have folded.
  • 5 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Trips =/= Set
      Set = 3 of a kind with a pocket pair.
      Trips = 3 of a kind with 1 of your hole cards & 2 cards on the board. (AK on a KKx board for example)

So he can have a set on the flop yes but not trips and even if he does have a set it's just a cooler + against a set you still have 4 outs for a straight and 2 outs for a higher set on the turn.

In other words you have to bet the turn here cause you wanna get value from draws and from AJ (villain is a fish). I'm just playing bet/call all-in on the turn. If he flat calls the turns I will still shove on this river card. I'm definitely going broke here.
    • jxb1977
      jxb1977
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice and also for the clarification on the set/trip issue, will be sure to get it right next time!!
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Agreed, all the draws he had on the flop didn't hit yet on the turn unless he has Q9 somehow so he'll call again a bet on the turn. He'll also call again with any top pair, maybe even Tx if he's bad enough.

If he shoves over your turn bet without knowing anything about him except his stats are definitely suboptimal for the time being, i don't think you can find a fold given the odds, as he might very well go nuts with some diamond redraw or just TPTK.

Hope it helps.
    • MathhNes
      MathhNes
      Bronze
      What about C/R the turn? i think many players would semi bluff their flush and straight draws and they are much more likely to go broke with a T or a J here??
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MathhNes
      What about C/R the turn? i think many players would semi bluff their flush and straight draws and they are much more likely to go broke with a T or a J here??
      If that guy is aggressive it's not a bad line to take. Tho we can't afford giving free cards on this board, if there is a chance he isn't betting, I'm betting myself.