Bankroll advice

• wardog37
      wardog37
      Bronze
      Just want some advice. I currently have a bankroll of $200 and play $3 speed sngs. I wnt to play sum double up sngs which pay 5 out of ten double your buy in. But they only have these in $6 buy in. So was wondering if it would be wise to play these even though they are out of my BRM i think. Just think i have a better chance as i seem to finish 4th and 5th quite often in normal sngs and miss the money.

Your advice will be much appreciated.
  • 12 replies
    • feedfest
      feedfest
      Bronze
      Have you played these before? They play nothing like a normal SNG. Pokerstars has them at $1 i think but with a very high rake.

Also, the only way people bust out of these is if they hit a cooler. It's always AA v QQ or someone sucks out. Not great poker if you are trying to learn IMO
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi wardog37,

The recommended BRM for sng's (both regular and DON) is 50xBI, some people do play a more aggressive game, but I would not recommend you play anything lower than 30x/35xBI as it's possible to go 20+ games without a win.

30x BI on the $6 would of course give you a required BR of $180, so whilst borderline, this is feasible, but only really if you are confident/resonably experienced in Sng's. If you decide to play this, I would however tighten your stop loss slightly (Guides suggest stop loss of 8xBI, I would tighen to say 5xBI).

The only other thing I would just mention to you is again maybe obvious. Just because you are reaching 4th/5th in a regular game, it doesn't necessarily mean you will do so in the DoN's, as opponents play will be very different, as should your own. In regular games, players will be more willing to risk doubling up to make the top 3, so promoting you up when they bust. You don't get that so much in DoN's.

DoN's are still worth a go though imo, try a couple, and see what you think.

Hope this helps, Good luck,

Bart
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      I play out of my BRM quite often and it's generally a bad idea,... it has really hurt me in the past. If I have a bonus going or enough points to buy a bonus/cash, I factor that into my BRM sometimes when I want to play higher limits.

The BRM given in the articles is pretty conservative. You can do whatever you are comfortable with, but just remember that your risk of ruin increases. I have played some SNG's but not many and I agree that it's quite easy to get 4th or 5th. So, therefore, I would assume that the variance is lower in the double up SNG's, so it may not be that bad to play with a 33 buy-in BR. But, I would also assume that the people playing double up SNG's would also play differently and it would be much harder to get 5th in those SNG's as it is to get 5th in regular SNG's.

BTW, as a side note Tom Dwan played $6 SNG's with a $50 BR when he first started,...
    • wardog37
      wardog37
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Yeah I agree the play will probably be a bit tighter as everyones trying to make top 5. Thinking maybe i'll try a couple and see how it goes and then decide on what path to take.

Thanx again.
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      I've played the 1$ DON at PS a few times. It is way out of my BRM but I did it only because I have never actually deposited at PS and BRM is not a factor in my decisions there, call it what you will, lol. Caught a few breaks in Juno Invitational freerolls and banked up some WR2 tickets playing FL freerolls. Had a little bankroll of 3-4$ and got a little tired of the donkfest that is 0.10$ 360 SNG so figured why not.

Welcome to the foldfest! Sometimes you can actually fold your way to a cash if you get some aggressive players but they play nothing like regular SNGs as was mentioned previously. Once I found this site and pretty much stuck by the starting hand chart for regular SNGs it is easier to cash in these as you are only really playing premium hands. Another thing to keep in mind is you may want to try to limp in late position to see a cheap flop with marginal hands early before the blinds go up. Frequently all it takes is a small bet and people fold unless they have the nuts.
    • Kojika
      Kojika
      Bronze
      There is no "high rake" on Pokerstars. You can find DoN 1.10$ (turbo) and 1.15 (regular). 10% is quite normal I think.
    • wardog37
      wardog37
      Bronze
      Just played one and went well. made the cash quite easily. Did catch some hands though so think a few more will give me a better idea. Does anyone know if there are any articles on DON SnG strategy on this site???
    • Theman365
      Theman365
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wardog37
      Just played one and went well. made the cash quite easily. Did catch some hands though so think a few more will give me a better idea. Does anyone know if there are any articles on DON SnG strategy on this site???
      Yes there is. But you need at least silver status.
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      I played DON on pokerstars before i change into cash game.

When i in the top 5 with 6 players left, having more chips than average, i folded AK/AA/KK many times when other player ALL IN preflop. I dont wanna lose to bad beat.

My started Bankroll was only US$20 (way out of BRM system) and end up almost $100 playing this table only in a month, 4 tables daily.
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      i folded AK/AA/KK many times

:f_mad:
    • wardog37
      wardog37
      Bronze
      Well so far i'v played about 12 DoNs and think i'v only missed the money once, so so far so good. Its not very profitable though, but think i will continue with them for the time being as i get more points for them to clear the bonus, and should reach silver status on Pokerstartegy soon :D Also find its easier to multitable them bcoz it stops at top 5 so u never short handed and trying to concentrate on multiple tables....
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Yeah DON's are relatively easy to multitable, and the learning curve (provided that you're actually making an effort to learn... which many don't) is quite small. And it's also relatively easy to learn to play more tables at once. Try adding a new table every 50 tourneys or so, see how it goes. The thing about DON's, is that in order for them to be really profitable, you need to play many of them.

Anyway, keep up the good work.