Well that's My First Month Under My Belt

• Styrodon
      Styrodon
      Bronze
      So 1 month into my PokerStrategy sponsorship, how's it going?

Have I still got my origional $50 sponsorship? Some of it maybe. I'm still in there with a bankroll of $84.36. I've received $45 in bonuses so far and about $7 rakeback. In pure playing terms I'm $20 or so down.

I'm not too unhappy with this situation as I'm starting from scratch and learning the game. So to still be cash positive is nice.

I've mainly played $0.05/0.10 and $0.10/.20 Full Ring Fixed Limit Holdem. No particular reason, just seemed a good basic type of Poker to start off with.

I'm still playing the PokerStrategy Basic Starting Hands Chart. I really want to be totally comfortable with my post flop play before moving on. Getting my Aggression balanced, tuning in more to opponents ranges, 3 bet responses and probably stacks of other stuff.

I played the first 10k or so hands at $0.05/0.10 then moved up to $0.10/0.20.

Shortly after moving up I hit my second and humdinger of a downswing, something like 250BB. Amazing, I had read people referencing how unfair downswings can be and well, I have to say downswings can be not only cruel but truely vicious.

Full Houses beaten by Fours or higher Full Houses
      Straights beaten by Flushes
      Trips by higher Trips
      Pairs by Higher Pairs
      Everybody making their hands on the River
      No playable hands for what seems like hours, then when one does arrive it's always second best.

Even on the rare occurance of winning a hand it would be something like AA in the BB and everone folding! Whoopee I get to keep my Blind for another hand or so.

But having read relavent posts in the forum you just have to take this stuff on the chin, Sh*t happens.

Playing long sessions when on a downswing only seemed to make things worse, so I started playing shorter sessions, an hour here and there over the day/evening. Accepting small losses, trying not to help out the tilt and lose more than is necessary by overplaying hands. Stick to the Strategy Charts, it's all numbers and probabilities so at some time it's going to balance itself out (well this is what I'm banking on!).

I am using PokerTracker3 and reviewing all the hands where I've taken some action. This I've found incredibly helpful. At the Table it's funny how you keep getting run over by the train and it's a surprise every time. In hindsight it's so obvious that you are standing in its tracks!

I'll get round to posting hands for review but at the moment I'm not sure I'm knowlegable enough to understand the advice.

Anyway, for now it looks like the downswing has bottomed out and hopefully the experience gained will help get that line moving upward into profit.

Here's the chart if you're interested, let's hope the recovery isn't "a dead cat bounce".
      [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QPZMf3j5-XkzrIk6WUQVPg?authkey=Gv1sRgCMLYup2AwOz7HQ&feat=directlink[/img]

So thanks to the PokerStrategy team and various contributors, I'm still in there and getting plenty of enjoyment out of my Poker and the learning experience.

I'm not including the downswing bit when I say enjoyment, but you do learn from it.

See you all arround.
  • 4 replies
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      woo, Looks like a blog !

Why won't you ask mods the move this one to the PokerBlogs section ?
      and actually start writing your blog , it will keep your motivation up, and somehow improve your game by getting more attention to graphs, reviewing hands, analyzing and finding urself leaks :)
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Styrodon,

Welcome to the community and thank you for kind words. I'll make sure that those involved in PokerStrategy, e.g. contributing strategy content, get to see comments and it is really appreciated, thank you.

Originally posted by SneakyhanD
      woo, Looks like a blog !

Why won't you ask mods the move this one to the PokerBlogs section ?
      and actually start writing your blog , it will keep your motivation up, and somehow improve your game by getting more attention to graphs, reviewing hands, analyzing and finding urself leaks :)
      Yes of course we would be happy to move this into the blog section, if you would like to continue letting us all know how your getting on, on a regular or even irregular basis :D

Just shout if you would like this.

Seems like your off to a good start. Continue to analyse your game and plug any leaks where possible to ensure that you can continue to break even/have positive sessions after bonuses expire etc.

I can highly recommend the free live coaching sessions that PokerStrategy provide. They're a great way to learn and what how experienced players play, you can ask whatever questions you like and it's also a great fun community atmosphere at the same time too.

Wishing you every success and enjoyment in your poker.

Best regards,

Bart
    • Styrodon
      Styrodon
      Bronze
      Thanks for the suggestion SneakyhanD, yeah what started out as just something to introduce myself did go on a bit.

I must admit that once I started typing, and after having had such a tough start on the tables, I would just add a few words of encouragement for others that also were having a tough start.

One other thing I've got to add to my "to do list" is sort out my uploading so my chart will show up next time ;)

Blog? Will give that some serious thought, never thought I'd make much as a communicatior. But as you say their are some personal benifits too!

Thanks EagleStar88 for your advice aslo, I have watched one of Terrorblades coaching sessions, and yes thoroughly worthwhile.

OK let's move this to the Blog section, At the moment I'm playing FL Micro levels so wherever is more appropriate.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Welcome to the Blog section my friend. :s_thumbsup:

Good luck, will look forward to hearing how you get on with interest.

Best regards,

Bart