Beginner starting hands question

• Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      I just finished reading all the strategy articles and I watched a couple of videos, and there are a couple things I want to get clarified. It seems like you play very few hands in a FR game,... so would it be that hard to develope a starting hands chart? Or is there no point because the hands you play are obvious and opponent based?

Anyway, here are a few hands I want to know about :

1.) All hands with 3 of a kind are to be mucked regardless of opponent and position? Even AKsAA ?

2a.) Single suited broadway hands are to be mucked? ie. KQJT, KQJ9, AKQJ

2b.) Same question as question 2a but with three of the cards in a single suit.

3.) AAKK is obviously good, how good are other two pair hands? ie. KKQQ looks pretty good to me. But, how about QQJJ, JJTT, TT99, 9988. All of these hands seem okay to me, with the exception of 9988 and perhaps TT99.

4.) I have the impression that all pocket aces are to be played, but is this true for extreme examples also? ie. AA72 in UTG with no suited ace?

5.) How strong are pocket king hands? ie. KKJ8 double suited in a re-raised pot.

6.) Do low pocket pair severely weaken your hand? ie. KK22, AA22, QQ55

Forgive me if the answers to these questions seem obvious,... I'm really just starting to learn this game.

Thanks!
  • 5 replies
    • PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      1) YES, always.
      2a and b) No way! But be a little bit more careful postflop and remember to discount odds.
      3. KKQQ/QQJJ are good and should be raised! I would be a little bit more careful on JJTT and lower as these hands have huge reverse implied odds, but I play most two pair starting hands as long as I get a cheep flop.
      4. In your example I would just limp/call for set-mining. If the aces are stong (like AAQTds) raise, if they're weak I don't mind just limping for set-value.
      5. That's very situation-based. If I'm last to act I call most of the time if the kings have some strength besides the kings themselves.
      6. Same as 4.

People with more experience, feel free to correct me if there's something you disagreed with. I'm kind of a beginner myself, but this is my experience so far.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      1) If you can go all in preflop against one opponent with AAAK - do it, you're ahead most of the times. Very rare situation thou.

2a) Broadway cards are great; limp, call or raise them depending on the aggression of the opposition.

2b) Same as 2a).

3) All those hands are nice, position and villain's stats are key factor. There can be many situations and it's hard to describe all of them. Here's some:

- you're in position. No raise behind - I'd raise it.
      - OOP. You raise and get reraised by a tight tight player. I'd call and act according to flop - if there's no ace on flop, you can donk bet (if he folds to donk bet often). If you hit and villain c-bets often, you check/raise. It's basics, I know, but at least that's how I play it. There are many ways to play many hands, I guess :)
      - OOP. You limp and get raised. If there are more callers, you can call for set/straight value (I'd call it for HU too). Be careful with the highcards on the flop thou, because you can get coolered by a higher set easily. Information bet helps here.

4) Weak aces from UTG should be limped or min-raised, I guess. Playing for set value or donking a dry flop with 1 or 2 opponents in the hand.

5) KKJ8 in a reraised pot should be mucked OOP and could be played in position. Again, it depends on many factors, personally I'd fold it.

6) I see low pocket pairs in those hands as a bonus. For example, you raise, get called. Flop comes dry, but you hit your lower set. You c-bet, thinking opponent raises you because of the dry flop. I'd shove there (again, it depends on gazzilion of factors, but you get the idea).

It's just my way of playing it, feel free to deviate :f_p:
    • Ratatuj
      Ratatuj
      Gold
      1) AAoAxs can be played in position. without suitedness - trash.

2) nope. even SS you can even raise and 3bet with DS.

doesn't matter much if there's 3 of one suit. you can limp and call.

3) depends much on your position, action and suitedness.

4) yeah. you can just limp with them from early positions. that would be ok if you flop a top set.

5) with DS KKJT (eg) you can 3bet and call a 4bet.they have 40% vs AA.

6) yes they do

7) have you read my article?
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for answering my questions. As I am learning more about the game, some of the questions are indeed becoming obvious to me.

Ratatuj: I have indeed read and printed out your article and the corresponding replies. Thanks for a very good article.

PLO is a completely new game for me, and I am still a little uncomfortable sitting down at the table without fully understanding the objectives. But I read all the articles and the forum replies are really helping. I'm also reading PLO Poker by Jeff Hwang, which really helped me to understand rundowns and wraps so far.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      For a beginner, I suggest you Google 'Omaha Indicator'.