My last hand tonight...first thread also

• AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Well I'm new and though I have been playing for a while I am trying to completely stick to the SSS rather than throw my own twists. Doing this to see how it goes, my sample size is really low so not reflective of anything. Down about 4$ since I got my starting capital Friday evening, I'd say due to my raises never being called and only collecting blinds and maybe 1 or 2 callers. I'm playing at Cake since I already had accounts at the 3 majors.

Anyway, long story short was getting a little tired and said I would quit after my next playable hand, which came up about 3 hands later.

http://cakepoker.com/en/HandHistory/Default.aspx?Hand=xc3MxMTFwMLFzcTExMfDzIjFxs3FwczB

Check it out, could I have played it any other way? Keep in mind I am trying to play SSS by the book.

My real question is...how does he call? I'd played about 4 hands in 45 mins at this table and 3 I picked up blinds with maybe a call or two, the other I played from the blind for a free flop and mucked when 1 player bet.
  • 14 replies
    • drocco09
      drocco09
      Bronze
      I have had this happen to me before, have a good starting hand only to lose it to someone calling when they didn't have a good starting hand. I had one player crack may A's because they had Q2 d and they were trying to play for a flush for some reason. He raised before me so I shoved all in with my pocket A's and they called. The flop came like this: K22 so they hit the 2 and took it for the win. After the hand I asked the player why they called, it turned out they were new at poker and were trying to win by a flush draw and ended up hitting 2's. So, you will get the bad beats, that's just poker.
      By the way, I play at Cake too and it is not rare to have that kind of play happen from my experience at Cake. I see people with big stacks (100BB) go all in with J3 os because they have a J and take it for the win by hitting a straight on the river. Just stick to SSS (strict/no variation) and over the long run you do end up winning to those bad players.
    • wardog37
      wardog37
      Bronze
      This is exactly the kind of hand you want to get called by playing sss. Just didnt go your way this time, but keep it up an you should start showing a profit soon :)
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Thanks for the responses guys. I realize bad beats happen, not too concerned about it. I just thought this was a funny hand to show, and its not really and evaluation type hand.

I guess the one question I would have is, why does he call my shove? He hasn't hit anything on the flop, his outs are limited, backdoor flush/straight. Maybe he thinks I have small pp so that gives him more outs, but in that case what if I had hit a set?

Someone mentioned that this is not all too uncommon on Cake? Are people that bad that they call big preflop raises with nothing?
    • BeanerO
      BeanerO
      Bronze
      I might run into you on some tables as I am playing at cake too.

He made a bad call for sure, at least you got in w/ the best hand. Maybe he called because he had a fairly big stack and the $1.00 seemed small w/ middle pair. Maybe he just genuinely thought it was good but judging by your table image I doubt that. Weird.
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      LOL he didn't have middle pair. He had nothing at all which is what is so funny to me. Maybe I will see you at the tables. Not sure how much cash game I will play but since tourneys have been out for a while I needed to play something to clear bonus.
    • TGHos7
      TGHos7
      Bronze
      Personally, i would of done something similar, maybe less aggressive.
      You were lucky that this guy called an all in, with nothing at all -- BUT unfortunately for you, poker is still a luck game.
      You can improve your odds, but nothing beats dumb luck in the end.

In other cases, i would just bet according to the pot size (half - 3/4 pot), trying not to scare him off with an all in. In this case he would of called, i guess... which would be good for you. By the river you maybe would of become more careful before betting again, if you see a straight draw.

Ofcourse im not even pretending to be an expert here :D
    • BeanerO
      BeanerO
      Bronze
      Woah, completely read the hand wrong, rofl.. sorry. yeah, wtf was he doing
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TGHos7
      Personally, i would of done something similar, maybe less aggressive.
      You were lucky that this guy called an all in, with nothing at all -- BUT unfortunately for you, poker is still a luck game.
      You can improve your odds, but nothing beats dumb luck in the end.

In other cases, i would just bet according to the pot size (half - 3/4 pot), trying not to scare him off with an all in. In this case he would of called, i guess... which would be good for you. By the river you maybe would of become more careful before betting again, if you see a straight draw.

Ofcourse im not even pretending to be an expert here :D
      Normally this is what I would do but I am trying to play SSS by the book. So if my bet represents more than half my stack I am supposed to move allin if I'm not mistaken. Either way, just a funny hand and shows that some people seemingly have no clue what they are doing but sometimes get lucky lol.
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      Looks like you played that perfectly to me. Good work. =]

Remember even though they sometimes suck out with inferior hands you should start to show a profit fairly quickly. The more players going all in with nothing the better really.
    • Pokstaz
      Pokstaz
      Bronze
      Just luck. :)
      On a short run you can lose to such luckers. But you will win money from them in logn run. Good luck
    • shaywh
      shaywh
      Bronze
      Weird observations at cake poker. Advice needed
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Smileyphil
      Looks like you played that perfectly to me. Good work. =]

Remember even though they sometimes suck out with inferior hands you should start to show a profit fairly quickly. The more players going all in with nothing the better really.
      Thanks for the reassurance, starting to wonder as I am down 10$ of my starting capital already. I guess the upside is I have almost cleared the first 10$ of my bonus.

Another donkey call here lol...
      http://cakepoker.com/en/HandHistory/Default.aspx?Hand=xc3MwcTFwMXHwMTExMbAwYjFxs3FwczB
    • racenutalways
      racenutalways
      Bronze
      Why did he call? Who knows, he's drunk? he was on a heater? and SSS are fun to gamble with. I stopped playing American-allowed sites for just this reason, high variance when there are 3 beginners, 2 drunks 2 taggs and a maniac at your table.
      They don't see how many big blinds you raised or betted, only that you have "one dollar" and why not have fun with it. Micro limits are the most difficult to beat, don't let it get you down, I have lost 30 buy-ins a couple of times in the last year playing NL25$. Good thing I don't follow the BRM rules and play with 20 buy-ins. I always kept 40 buy-ins for the variance that is present in micros. Are you sitting at any table? Chose a table that is right for your style. a table with PF%30+ is loose. I'm a BSS Tagg and I browse the rooms non-stop while I play. Full tilt starts at NL10, you are playing the bottom of the donk scale here. When you find an opponent who plays as bad as this guy has, sit to his right and blast him with every good hand you get.
    • shaywh
      shaywh
      Bronze
      ftp starts with nl2 now