My redtooth poker experience! and a hand :(

• DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      hey all, i've been playing poker for a while now and some of you may know about redtooth poker. I play it every week in the pub and people with the top points get a seat at the regional finals.

I've been there today, and was playing a nice solid game, observing my opponents, raising in position, ect.
      BUT
      i ran into this hand, and i think i coulda made a good laydown but was just too much of a spoon to do it :( people who was watching said it was a good call their was nothing i could do, but i dunno, so i'd like your oppions!

7 handed
      fold to the button who min raises, im on the small blind with A 8, big blind calls also.
      pot: 1200 (button had the biggest stack, 10k+, i was about 5k)

Flop: A A 10 rainbow

i was thinking, this is a great flop! how should i get the max value. I decide to check and so does the BB, and only to my disapointment the button pushes in for a huge overbet of 10k+ into a 1k pot. SO the thoughts running though my head was " WHAT THE F&%K, why would anyone do this, with the nuts? Or even an ace for this matter!?"

So i took ages considering other hands we had played, he pushed into 3 players on the flop the exact same way he had this time, except last time he had KJ in his hand and the flop was K 10 4 - he showed his hand after.

considering this, i thought there is no possible way i could fold, when he did this only 2 hands ago. So i called, and to my disapointment, he flipped over pocket 10's.

no help on the turn or the river, and im out. My fellow poker players from my pub all said there was nothing i could do and that they would have done the same, but i think maybe i could have laid it down. =\

Oppinions!?
  • 2 replies
    • Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      I'm not from the UK myself, English is not my native language, and I will not be giving you my oppions. (Whatever they might be)

But as far as the hand goes, I would have by all likelihood done the same.

I am not that good of a poker player yet, but his min-raise would indicate to me a relatively good hand. If he were just to steal your blinds, he would have raised more? I could be absolutely mistaken here, though.
    • shaywh
      shaywh
      Bronze
      from that KJ hand I would have take it that he is pushing with what he thinks is the best hand. hoping to get full value of course and price out other players drawing for a better hand. given that, and the fact that he covers you- you can fold here. even if his range is something like A2-AJ, TT which you are supposed to be ok against, this is a tourney ,not a cash game. chips don't give you full value and tourney life worth something as well.