enemaz poker musings

• enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      I've been debating if i should open a blog or not, i wasn't sure if it's worth the time. But I want to further commit myself to improving my game and i think a blog would be a great way to monitor my progress.

I see people tend to give a bit of background about themselves so i guess a little introduction is due.

About me:

My name is Roee and i live in Israel. I am 19 years old and i have recently graduated from college and have a degree in computer sciences. I don't have the diploma yet X: .
      In Israel after your senior high school year you are drafted to the army for a mandatory service of 3 years (2 for women). I postponed my army service to complete my degree (i started it in 9th grade and went to college while attending high school) and throughout this year i have begun to play homegames with my friends, and on facebook.

After a few games, a friend of mine introduced me to a different group of my peers who got together and played NLHE. Many of the people in that group eventually joined the army and the group was more or less disbanded.
      So a friend of mine who also postponed his army service found out one of his neighbors also held a homegame. So i've been playing poker mostly with that group. In one of the sessions a friend of mine tagged along and he referred to this site, and told me he made around 200$ at stars.

So i took the quiz and passed it, got my starting capital at FTP (i played some freerolls there and i liked the software). I blew it all in about a week. I was all depressed after losing it and stayed away from online poker. I randomly went to FTP to play at a freeroll and i noticed i still had 16$ (rakeback :D ).

This time i decided not to blow it all and start Playing SNGs to regain my long lost bankroll. I took a 45 man SNG and not long after that i managed to get back to around 50$. I Also tried SSS, but i didnt enjoy it that much, and after a few sessions i went back to SNGs. After a losing session while playing tourneys, i decided i would give FL a go.

From that point on FL has become my main game, but i still play at SNGs from time to time. I liked the fact that in the microlimits FL is easily beatable and people there play so badly, and so far im doing rather well.

My long term goal is to make a steady profit from poker that will complete my income from the army. Since army salary for non combat units such as yours truly is about 100$ usd for a month, i would like to have some money for expenses so i dont have to worry about every expense during my service.
      My recruitment date is the 13 of December, so for now im building up my bankroll and hopefully in the next 3 months i will advance in the limits.

And after that long intro (came out a lot longer than expected)
      Here are my goals:

Short term:
      -Build bankroll back to 150$
      -Move up to 0.25/0.5 FR
      -Finish reading Silver articles in FL/SNG
      -Watch All relevant videos

Not-so-short-term:
      -Buy poker tracking software (right now i have a trial version of PT3)
      -Get Acquainted with SH play.
      -Move up aditional limits

Long Term:
      -Have a steady bankroll and monthly income of 200$+

Very Long Term:
      - Participate in a big live MTT :D

Room for improvement:
      FL-
      - Playing over aggressive in multiway pots
      - WTSD with A high too much after missing

SNG-
      - Sometimes i fell i shove too scared against loose opponents

Both-
      - Not paying complete attention to action when multi-tabling, doesnt happen that often, but optimally is shouldn't happen at all :)

After all that being said, i hope you enjoyed this post, and i guess tomorrow i will post my first session review :)
  • 150 replies
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Had my first session back in 0.25/0.5 after a bit of a downswing. Started out really good, made almost 10$ in 10-15 minutes. Some draws hit and i was down to 6$ profit so im taking a break to prevent tilt and further frustration.

Here are some hands:

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, 7.
      UTG2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, 2 folds, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 6, 8, A (7 players)
      SB bets, BB folds, UTG2 raises, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (6.5 BB) 6 (4 players)
      UTG2 bets, MP2 raises, Hero folds, UTG2 folds.

Final Pot: 9.5 BB.

I probably shoulda 3-bet the flop, but in a multiway pot i was afraid i was dominated. I folded here and didnt calldown because MP2 had stats like PR 2, Afq 20, even though i had a small sample, as i got further along in the session i saw how passive he was so im assuming i made a good laydown here.

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9, 9.
      UTG1 calls, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises, BU calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.4 SB) T, 2, 6 (5 players)
      BB checks, UTG1 checks, MP1 bets, Hero raises, BU calls, BB folds, UTG1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9.2 BB) Q (4 players)
      UTG1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

River: (9.2 BB) 5 (4 players)
      UTG1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: 9.2 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of nines(9 9).
      BU shows a pair of sixs(K 6).
      MP1 shows a pair of tens(T K).
      UTG1 shows a pair of fives(4 5).

MP1 wins with a pair of tens(T K).

This was the loosest table i've ever played at, 70% P/Flop(!!)
      I raised the flop to isolate and in case he was drawing. After all the callers i hardly see myself ahead here so i was planning on check/fold to any opposition.

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, T.
      6 folds, Hero raises, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) A, Q, 8 (3 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 4 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 6 (3 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a flush, queen high(J T).
      BB shows a flush, ace high(A 4).

BB wins with a flush, ace high(A 4).

I guess this hand is pretty standard..

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is SB with T, J.
      CO posts deadblind, 2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO checks, BU calls, Hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 7, J, T (7 players)
      Hero bets, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, BU calls.

Turn: (5.5 BB) 4 (4 players)
      Hero bets, MP2 calls, CO folds, BU calls.

River: (8.5 BB) K (3 players)
      Hero bets, MP2 raises, BU folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.5 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, jacks and tens(T J).
      MP2 shows a pair of jacks(J A).

Hero wins with two pairs, jacks and tens(T J).

I wasnt sure if i should 3-bet here, some straights got there and villain was passive all along. Noted the guy for waiting till river to bet out TPTK on a draw heavy board multiway.
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Just had a series of 3-4 bad beats when i was dominating in SNG.
      After my AK gets cracked by A5 for a river wheel, my 9s by 7s river 7 and my AQ by AT by someone really really bad im a bit frustrated (all of them in POF state). I got my money in while ahead, but it's like every hand i saw the worst case scenario happen and it did.
      If i could quit the last sng im playing at i would quit and call it a day, but no refunds for SNG :\ (as i'm writing these lines i cashed for 3rd place)

Also in FL after my morning session i had a losing one. Im pretty sure i made the right decisions most of the time, but sometimes that isnt good enough and the cards dont hold up. Im not doing so well in 0.25/0.5 and im gonna have to move back down to 0.1/0.2 due to insufficient BR (~133$). In 0.1/0.2 the money comes a lot easier due to the fishy players. In 0.25/0.5 the players are fishy as well, but i cant seem to have a winning streak. I haven't played many hands so it's a bit early to be frustrated and it could just be that bitch named variance :) .
      Writing these lines i feel my mood improving a bit, and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Every scar is a lesson, and from lessons we learn, and by learning the moniez will come :P
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Had a good FL 0.1/0.2 session right now, in 350 hands i was up 4.8$ after a morning -3.5$ session :)
      Only mistake i noticed making was missing a value bet. Sometimes i got locked on to a certain read of the opponent and i forget to take into account the strength of my own hand. I had AQo, on turn i made a Q high straight and i had a nut flush draw and i didnt cap the turn because for some reason i got it into my head that my opponent had KQ for a K high straight. On the river i hit my nut flush so that wasnt an issue anymore :D

In the SNG front i managed to make it ITM more than 35% of the time, but too many 2nd and 3rd finishes so im down 7.2$
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      So far it's been a pretty good day. Had a 4 table SNG session this morning and i won 1st and 2nd place in 2 of them.
      After that i had a good FL session which started out great, made 4-5$ in 100 hands, but then it went down to around 1-2$.
      After that i took a break (played some rock band, read a little, took a nap) and had another FL session in the green, and this is [rpbably the best hand i've had in a while:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.2 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6, 6.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, BU calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (10.5 SB) T, 2, 6 (5 players)
      BB checks, UTG2 checks, MP2 bets, Hero raises, BU 3-Bets, BB calls, UTG2 folds, MP2 folds, Hero caps, BU calls, BB calls.

Turn: (11.75 BB) 6 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets, BU raises, BB calls, Hero 3-Bets, BU caps, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (23.75 BB) 3 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets, BU raises, BB folds, Hero 3-Bets, BU caps, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 31.75 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows four of a kind, sixs(6 6).
      BU shows a full-house, tens full of sixs(T T).

Hero wins with four of a kind, sixs(6 6).

This hand made me feel like Gus Hansen in HSP :D
      I think after the turn cap i told myself: "holy shit, i think this guy has TT" KACHING!! $$$$ :D
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by enemaze
      This hand made me feel like Gus Hansen on HSP :D
      I think after the turn cap i told myself: "holy shit, i think this guy has TT" KACHING!! $$$$ :D
      Yeah, in those places i hate playing FL cause capping is just not enough!! You really want to stack the guy :s_grin:
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      The morning session started out quite well, got my bankroll up to ~145$. I decided to have another go at 0.25/0.5. I started the session with an insane upswing, my draws hit in multiway pots and villains shipped it :D
      Made some good laydowns, and also i had a few successful bluffs in multiway (!!!) pots. i had a +12$ session so im quite happy with the results and i managed to erase my losses in FL and even make it in the green for this month. Hopefully ill keep it up :)
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Been running insanely hot these couple of days at 0.25/0.5. Im up about 50$ in 4-3 days which is pretty sick considering the fact i play about 400-600 hands per day. My BR is now 202$, and playing at 0.25/0.5 i can easily get myself at least a bronze iron man status, so that should be beneficial as well. So things are going quite well this weekend. I've been playing the best i can and im seeing results, my cards are holding up, and i scoop in pot after pot. Doesn't get better than this :)

Still waiting for the bad streak to come my way, after all, what goes up must come down, at least temporarily, that's just the way poker is. I think experiencing this upswing will certainly help me get through my future downswings, just remembering how easily i can win my money back is a great motivation.

There are 18 days left in September, if my BR will reach 250$ by the end of the month, and along with the 50$ from take 2, it will be a month to remember and a huge leap toward my goals. Im just feeling really optimistic :)
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      After a losing session yesterday im back in the green and b/e after these 2 days. I wanted to show 2 hands. I've seen a lot of badly played hands in my ~15k hands of FL. I think this is one of the most poorly played hands i've ever seen an opponent play:

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6, T.
      CO posts deadblind, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO checks, BU calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.4 SB) 4, 2, 6 (6 players)
      Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, BU folds.

Turn: (4.7 BB) 9 (5 players)
      Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (8.7 BB) 3 (5 players)
      Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: 10.7 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a flush, ten high(6 T).
      MP1 shows a flush, jack high(5 J).

MP1 wins with a flush, jack high(5 J).

Limp with J5s, calling after completely missing the flop.
      Call on turn in understandable, but calling with a flush? Gotta love them fish saving me my money when they hit :)

This other hand from today is the biggest pot i've seen in FL to date. I missclicked at first, but it turned out to be a profitable move. Got really unlucky at the river, but next time hopefully this 17$ pot will be mine :drooling:

Play hand

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, 7.
      UTG1 raises, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, 2 folds, Hero 3-Bets, UTG1 caps, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (20.4 SB) 9, 7, 5 (5 players)
      Hero bets, UTG1 raises, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero 3-Bets, UTG1 caps, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (18.2 BB) 2 (4 players)
      Hero bets, UTG1 raises, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero 3-Bets, UTG1 caps, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

River: (34.2 BB) 4 (4 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 checks, MP1 bets, MP3 calls, Hero calls, UTG1 calls.

Final Pot: 38.2 BB.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, sevens(7 7).
      MP3 shows a flush, ten high(T 8).
      UTG1 shows a pair of aces(A A).
      MP1 shows a flush, king high(J K).

MP1 wins with a flush, king high(J K).

What im happy about in this hand is the fact that i noticed how i'd vastly improved since beginning FL. First, i didnt tilt after losing a huge pot. I just said better luck next time and kept on playing. Second, my reads were dead on. I knew UTG1 didnt have 99 and probably had an overpair he was trying to protect. I knew the other villains were drawing and that i had the best hand till the river. I had a similar hand in one of my first sessions where i misplayed it by overplaying my flopped set, and besides the preflop 3-bet which was a missclick, i think this hand is played perfectly.
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Had a pretty bad day. Started the day i was up about 6$, took a break and then i was down to -10$. I began the session, and i dont know why but i was really spewy, trying all sorts of moves and the outcome wasnt good at all. I caught myself and returned to my normal play. Some bad beats, coolers, but my play from that point i think was fine so i didnt mind the losses.

After that session i played again, and again i was spewing. And again, i noticed it and went back to my regular game. But then my monster hands didnt get payed off, my good hands were either outdrawn or not enough, and voila im down 30 for the day. I got pissed off that i was outdrawn by really bad players, but i dont think it effected my game. Of course it's possible i made some additional mistakes, but i think overall my play was solid.

It's not the losses that concern me so much, in most cases i just ran into monsters, the spewing at the beginning of the session concerns me more. Hopefully ill return to my normal form next sessions and this is just a one time slip.

Im done for today, not that i think that my losses will effect my play, but im afraid if i lose even more it might lead me to a spiral of doom and tilt so im just gonna stop and tend to other things. Hopefully tomorrow i will gain some of it back, and even if not, just do my best to get out of this micro-hell.
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Had a great morning session after another not so good day yesterday. Was running well and the idiots payed me off instead of the other way around :P
      It's been a swingy month so far, but im happy at the much needed experience im gaining.
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Wow, it's trully been a sick day for me.

Up around 95BB in 500 hands. I flopped the nuts like 4 times with connected cards :) My big hands came often and won, and today the field was exceptionally full of fish, calling stations and maniacs that love to inflate my BR. I made back all my losses from the last 2 days. So sick.
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Had a table with a real maniac. never seen anything like it. I somehow always managed to come up short against him, but hopefully ill see him at the tables in future sessions :D

This just goes to show what i was up against:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6, Q.
      2 folds, MP3 calls, CO raises, 3 folds, MP3 calls.

Flop: (5.4 SB) K, A, T (2 players)
      MP3 bets, CO raises, MP3 3-Bets, CO calls.

Turn: (5.7 BB) K (2 players)
      MP3 bets, CO raises, MP3 calls.

River: (9.7 BB) A (2 players)
      MP3 checks, CO bets, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 11.7 BB.
      Results follow:

CO shows a full-house, aces full of kings(A K).
      MP3 shows two pairs, aces and kings(3 6).

CO wins with a full-house, aces full of kings(A K).

Still had a pretty good day, im happy with any day in the green :)
      Not sure i played my A game today, probably about 90%-85%. Spewed off a bit of chips with marginal calls, so i have some spots to work on.

I think i sort of came up with a plan of action for the near future.
      When i get to the required BR for 0.5/1 (im sure i will, 0.25/0.5 is easilly beatable) i think i might want to review my game by someone with more experience and just make sure my game is up to par to play in 0.5/1 and above. I want a more objective person to spot my leaks.
      I want my game to be the best it can be before going to SH. I want to improve my postflop game, which is probably one of the most important things in SH.
      Im starting to incorporate a bit of table selection into my play. Almost every table at my current limit is rather fishy, but im paying a lot more attention to the level of players at each table and adapting to it.

So overall, im hoping that by the end of october, i will be playing at 0.5/1 in top form.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Hey. I see you are doing good at FL :)

BTW, if you want for your signature to be clickable, you have to enable BB code.
      Go to your profile/edit signature and click "options" below that text window. There you will see checkbox "deactive BB code" and uncheck it.

GL at the tables.
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      First i would like to open this post by thanking CoreySteel for making my blog more accessible :D

Im a bit frustrated that my BR just zigzags up and down, from 150-220 like a bloody sine wave (couldnt help making the geeky analogy :D ). Last night i had a losing day, and at night i was looking in FTP and saw the fish had come out to play. Although tempting, i knew that if i would lose it would probably effect my mood and it's just not worth it. So i read a bit and just went to sleep. Today had a +15$ session, not too bad..

I think im starting to get a little fed up with FL. Maybe i was just a bit frustrated yesterday, but perhaps it's time to get acquainted with another variant. Im not really in the mood for SNGs so i was thinking of maybe learning some PLO, and i read a bit of the articles today. So far im still gonna stick to FL, but maybe sometime soon I will try out PLO. Maybe when i have a bigger BR, playing PLO2 seems a bit.. bah and i dont have the necessary BR for PLO10 so maybe ill wait a bit. Anyway, im gonna start by studying and watching videos before i actually play.

BTW, today is the first day of the Jewish new year, so happy new year everyone! :D
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      roee_st.
      Is this you on FTP?
      If this is then I have played you a bit today, and I think that you should keep at it but play a little less aggresive. If I have the right guy maybe we will bump into each other this week.
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Yeah it's me :)
      Sometimes i get a little over aggressive, but my AF is 2 so that's pretty much standard. What's your screen name? Maybe we can sweat a session or 2 :)
      BTW sometimes i intentionally bluff and play over aggressive in sessions to build an image
    • VirtuaGod
      VirtuaGod
      Bronze
      Originally posted by enemaze
      BTW sometimes i intentionally bluff and play over aggressive in sessions to build an image
      My kind of guy!! Some times i do it just to see how much heat others can withstand!! Hope that sweat session is open to more players ;-) Some day... ;-) Keep up the good runs...

Could u post AF by position?? Thanks
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      "BTW sometimes i intentionally bluff and play over aggressive in sessions to build an image"

For a session is ok but the regulars pick up on this and will get you next time! Luckly for me I missed the flop so I was not going to invest more. I noticed the speed you bet and raised after a couple of hands, and the amount preflop you were raising and made some notes which is why I remembered the name. After a while I had a feeling that you may be bluffin at a few pots.

Ahh screen name, you know what it is, and if not you will next time we play! :f_biggrin:
    • enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      I've always told myself that i need to slow down my actions. First it let's me better analyze the situation, and 2nd, when i need time to think and have a hard decision i wont be giving any timing tells. Maybe i should start doing that..

Anyway, here are all my stats for now.

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5408/statsib.png