[NL2-NL10] NL50 AQ SB against limp raise

• MikeyH
      Known players:

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:heart: , A:diamond:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.50, 5 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, BB folds, UTG2 raises to $10.20 (All-In), Hero calls $7.00 (All-In).

I had just started a session and had 2 tables open, and got reraised by a limper from early position. I had no stats or reads on player yet, so I looked at my other table I had open where the player was also sitting, on the other table the player had a stack of $4x.xx the player had not had any recent big wins or losses to cause these significantly different stack sizes, so I made the assumption of them having no real strategy and being a fishy player.

I have seen this play by fish so often where they have overrated the strength of their hand, or they dont mind pushing against a small stack, as they only lose a small amount (in the case of the player having a big stack). Based on this I felt AQ is ahead of the players range and made the call.

Would like to hear some opinions on this situation.
      What do you expect a fishes range is in this situation?
  • 2 replies
    • dandycal
      Many fish also love to slowplay monsters, so that I'd fold this one due to lack of info and note down his move. If I knew he'd do that with many PPs, then I'd go broke, but otherwise I prefer to just fold AQo...
    • burek2000
      Hey MickeyH,

with your read I like the call, because some fish like to limp/3bet low-mid pocket pairs and even hands like AJ-AQ, so you definitely have equity against such a player, but you must make a note of his play, because some players only play monsters this way.

If you don't think you can rely on your read though, then just stick to basic strategy and continue with AK/TT+ in such a case.