[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR AQo

• JazzyJasper
      Known players:

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:spade: , Q:heart: . MP1 posts a blind of $0.05.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 checks, 3 folds, BU calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BU calls $0.25.

Flop: ($0.70) 7:diamond: , A:heart: , 8:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.45, BU calls $0.45.

Turn: ($1.60) 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45.

River: ($2.50) T:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $3.13 (All-In), Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.50

Good fold or not? Should I have kept betting instead?

I ran this through the Equilator with a rather tight handrange and it was about 50/50. i didn't have a good read on him yet, so that's why I decided to fold.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

First off, betting all the way is certainly easier to play and definitely better against loose passive players. When you decide to go into check/call mode you put yourself into ugly spots when it's not necessary, just bet yourself unless you have a good reason not to.

As played, you showed so much weakness by checking to him twice that it's really unclear what he would shove there. He's passive enough where he shouldn't really shove just any Ax to begin with, but after you check to him twice you might induce bluffs even from the most passive guys. So i think once you start to c/c it's better to call down, you'd have gotten your stack in using the bet bet bet line anyway.

As a side-note and because i think it's a common misconception, when you talk about using the Equilator it seems like you forgot an important piece of the puzzle. I won't go into your calculations about his handrange, let's assume it's indeed a 50/50 shot. There is already $2.5 dead money in the pot when he shoves for $3.13, which means he's laying you 2.5+3.13:3.13 or ~1.8:1 odds, so you only need around 35% equity to make a call profitable and your 50/50 is plenty enough equity to do so.

Hope it helps.